Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Making your skin dark like Black Panther is NOT the same as Blackface.
It's the same thing as both are just playing characters. Halloween costumes are basically suppose to be offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I personally think it's kinda cool if a white kid wants to dress up as black panther, kids these days are soooo much more colorblind than they were before and also....kids these days have friends that are 1/8th this, 1/4 that and so forth the lines keep blurring in a good way.

I know several black people that are huge Superman fans, nice to see that the aspects or qualities of various characters whether they're an illegal alien (lol) like Superman or T'Challa or Wonderwoman etc etc etc. transcends the race, culture etc. of fandom.
Yes! It should be fantastic that white kids also look up to and want to be like Black Panther. It would be awful, in fact, if he only appealed to black children.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's the same thing as both are just playing characters. Halloween costumes are basically suppose to be offensive.
Incorrect. Blackface has a specific definition:

Quote:
Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the spread of racial stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon"
When I darkened my skin to be Tina Turner, that was not the same thing. Blackface doesn't actually cover the entire face, neck, and other exposed skin. And I wasn't doing a 'caricature' of a black racial stereotype, I was wanting to look like Tina Turner! Imitation is the highest form of compliment.

I really don't care what SJW have to say about it. Blackface has a distinct meaning and skin darkening isn't it. Megyn Kelly said what I just did. I can't believe her show is over for that. We are getting into the ridiculous now.

Last edited by jencam; 10-26-2018 at 11:34 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. Blackface has a specific definition:

When I darkened my skin to be Tina Turner, that was not the same thing. Blackface doesn't actually cover the entire face, neck, and other exposed skin. And I wasn't doing a 'character' of a black racial stereotype, I was wanting to look like Tina Turner! Imitation is the highest form of compliment.

I really don't care what SJW have to say about it. Blackface has a distinct meaning and skin darkening isn't it. Megyn Kelly said what I just did. I can't believe her show is over for that. We are getting into the ridiculous now.
It doesn't make any real difference. A caricature is character and its all imitation.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-26-2018 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
It does make any real difference. A caricature is character and its all imitation.
Apparently the meaning of words holds no importance to you.

Caricature:
Quote:
a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.
Darkening skin to look like Tina Turner or Black Panther does not meet that definition. At all.

If you were correct than no one could dress up as any character. No more Princesses from Frozen, etc.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Apparently the meaning of words holds no importance to you.

Caricature:

Darkening skin to look like Tina Turner or Black Panther does not meet that definition. At all.

If you were correct than no one could dress up as any character. No more Princesses from Frozen, etc.
I know what a caricature is. A caricature is still a character.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I know what a caricature is. A caricature is still a character.
No. No, that is not at all the same thing. Did you read the definition I quoted?

Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Intent matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So Megyn Kelly got in hot water over her comments about how things were in the past.

I HAVE heard black activists and liberals say that whites shouldn't be allowed to dress up as Black Panther because that's cultural appropriation while blacks SHOULD be allowed to dress up as Batman because that's "Different". The liberals who actually are not offended by the very notion of Christmas say that Santa Claus isn't necessarily white so blacks can dress as Santa (though Santa has always been white).

So for these on the left, how much black ancestry does someone have to be to not be offensive dressing up as Black Panther? Do you have to be at least a quarter black? Would 1% black be good enough. After all 1% is enough for Elizabeth Pocahontas Warren to claim to be Cherokee. Or do you just have to identify as black culturally? Maybe Rachel Donzeal should take a DNA test, perhaps she's actually genetically more black than Pocahontas is Indian......
I believe the "intent" by wearing costumes is what determine whether people are offended by it or not.
Wearing a batman, spiderman, Santa Claus, or even WWF costume is not denigrating any race or ethnicity of people. It's not attempting to insult or mock their humanity. It's actually the opposite. When a Black person wears a batman or Santa suit, they like the character and hold it in positive esteem; there's a positive mindset in regard to that particular character.

Conversely, when White racists (and before i'm accused of labeling ALL Whites, notice I only called out the racist ones so let the shoe fall wear it fits) wear costumes to pretend to be Black, it's always done out of mocking and denigration. Always.

White racists (who IMO all suffer from various stages of demonic oppression and mentally illness) are so obsessed with Black people and always have been. A holiday like Halloween gives them the "social acceptance" to wear an afro, put a pillow in the back of their pants and come as big-butt She'nikwa, or a do-rag, gold jewelry, and a grill to pretend to be a rapper and speak some form of Ebonics/AAV.

Why can't they be happy in their own skin, hair, body shape, and command of the English language?

Why not dress to imitate Eninem, he's a White rapper, and since that is supposed to be the goal of White racists - to keep everything White, then why not imitate another White people or White cultural group?

Why are they more fascinated with Blacks instead of their kind?

Why do they keep injecting Black people and Black culture into their lives all the dang time when they clearly don't have to since they are the overwhelming majority and could easily immerse themselves in a world of Whiteness if they chose to.

Heck, even decent Black people don't dress up like rappers for Halloween and it would be much easier for them (us) to look the part. Yet, come Halloween or a secretly themed party where it's only White people so it's safe, there will always be at least ONE or more White racist moron show up imitating a Black person in some way and it's always to mock and denigrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies