Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:40 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not necessarily. If Al Roker was born in 1954, perhaps he remembers seeing old movies and serials from the 1920s and 1930s that had blackface and were still being shown on TV in the 50s and 60s as he was growing up. Even some of the old cartoons from the 1930s and 1940s had blackface and were still being shown decades later.

In the early days of television, there was simply less new programs to show during the daytime then there is today, so they filled in the gaps with older black and white films, cartoons and serials.
He said he LIVED THRU two white characters playing blacks via Amos n Andy which is not possible.

It didn't happen. Fake news! There it is!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The problem is not so much someone wearing a costume and trying to be a specific person like Donald Trump, Barrack Obama or Hillary Clinton. Or Superman, Batman, The Black Panther, a witch, vampire, a princess etc.

The problem is more a non-black person putting on "black face" and going around as a ordinary black person as a Halloween costume. One implication of that is that black people are so unusual and different from "normal people" that being a ordinary black person is a viable Halloween costume. That is why it is racist.

But the bigger problem is the history of black face make up and the way it was to insult and make fun of Black Americans and Africans in general for many many years..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
There's no history of usually leftist insulting and making fun of white Americans . So why is it only a "problem" when its done to black Americans?

I have seen black people go as white face on Halloween and no one said anything to them. That's not even playing a character but a blatant racial statement.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
We've gotten way too sensitive as a society to comments that are poorly thought through. She apologized. Let that be the end of it.
Look. If NBC wants to keep her, they will. Just like HBO kept Bill Maher when he made a remark that didn't go over well.

If they want to get rid of her, and are looking for a reason, they now have one.

If they have to pay her the remainder of the contract, they can make her life miserable by assigning her things she doesn't want to do.

If Kelly feels too constrained at the network, she can quit and go work somewhere else, though she may have a difficult time finding something at a network--there are a million cable stations. She made the mistake others have made--thinking the news was all about her.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Any comment where you made the huge presumption that you know what 270,000,000 people are thinking about others, is about as fallacious as it gets.

I never made the claim. I know there are over 300 million people in the US......so not sure what your number represents. My claim is to knowing that all sensory inputs, from your senses, gets stored in your subconscious. Everything that is sensed, is recorded. The only way race associations will not be recorded is if non exists in society. Now I guess you want to tell me that non has existed in our society.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:52 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
`

What is the big deal.

Even Whoopi doesn't seem to mind it being done right in front of her.

Nor Bill Clinton

Oh wait, that is because they are Democrats, thus they get away with such "unforgivable" things, but anyone not a liberal/leftist can be attacked for it.

`

Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Look. If NBC wants to keep her, they will. Just like HBO kept Bill Maher when he made a remark that didn't go over well.

If they want to get rid of her, and are looking for a reason, they now have one.

If they have to pay her the remainder of the contract, they can make her life miserable by assigning her things she doesn't want to do.

If Kelly feels too constrained at the network, she can quit and go work somewhere else, though she may have a difficult time finding something at a network--there are a million cable stations. She made the mistake others have made--thinking the news was all about her.
So they are liars. Just fire someone and tell them the true reason if giving a reason. Don't create a false pretext and an authoritarian scheme with PCism. Just tell the truth, "we're firing you because you're a white woman tainted with conservatism and we and our audience are bigots. "

Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Perhaps if you had any African American friends you could ask them why black face is socially unacceptable? Also, Mexicans and Italians did not face, and do not continue to face the same type of racist remarks and struggles in American society as African Americans do, Italians and Mexicans were not held as slaves either. I can't believe I'm having to explain this in 2018.
Everyone has family that was at some time held as slaves if you go back far enough. Blacks are not unique.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So if Megan Kelly was OK with Rosanne's racist comment comparing an AA to an ape she should be allowed to retain her job after her racist comment? Yeah it does not work that way.
You missed my point. If Megyn agreed that Roseanne should be fired, then imo she should receive the same.

Roseanne has stated that she did not know that the woman, whose name I forget, is black. Whether we like Roseanne or not, we don't know if that is true or a lie.

She has black family members and said she would never be racist. She would never want to hurt them.

Anyway. You have your opinion. I have mine and I make no apologies for it. Do you?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why is "black face" so socially unacceptable? Should Italians be offended by the stereotypical pizza chef picture on the pizza box? How about the guy with the sombrero at the Mexican restaurant? Where does it end?
Well, just like the hype on the Simpsons, no open cares about mocking the stereotypes of whites, only non-whites. Apu, oh that is bad, every single other person including Homer himself, that is just fine to mock the stereotypes.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:01 PM

2,106 posts, read 978,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Well by appropriating the hair appearance of other races, they are trying to be "other".

And wearing things that white people invented. like pants. Whats up with that?
Some blacks like to have their hair straightened , have nose jobs , color hair blonde , as of some white people like to curl their hair and sit in the sun for hours trying to get a tan , I'm one of them! Nothing wrong with either !

Also my neighbors white son when as Obama one holloween , I guess a black mask is ok though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies