Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:34 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Michael Avenatti, and his client Julie Swetnick have been referred for criminal investigation by the Senate Judiciary Committee for a conspiracy to provide materially false statements to Congress, and obstruct a congressional committee investigation.

It's all fun, and games to lie to frame Trump's Supreme Court nominee, that is until you face a criminal investigation.

WASHINGTON – Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley today referred Julie Swetnick and her attorney Michael Avenatti to the Justice Department for criminal investigation relating to a potential conspiracy to provide materially false statements to Congress and obstruct a congressional committee investigation, three separate crimes, in the course of considering Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court of the United States

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/pre...-investigation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sap2hfA-pHg

Old 10-25-2018, 01:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Kavanaugh is at home going -- no, please no...just let it go.

Innocent or guilty, Kavanaugh does not need his name out there linked to this story -- and it will be -- it has to be...you have to talk about him if you are talking about this case.

And you all can blame the media -- but they have to report about him while reporting on this story.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:35 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump and his team did everything they could to STOP the FBI form talking to Swetnick -- now Grassley has just handed them the keys to the candy store.

You don't think there was a reason Trump and his team didn't want the FBI to talk to her?

Hmmmm
You know it is pathetic enough to want to destroy one persons life on "the other team" yet defend another on your team for the same accusation.
Hillary obviously specialized in such behavior.
Accusations of unwanted advances or even grouping are one thing, however accusations of drugging women and gang raping them, is something completely different.

I doubt in your heart of hearts you really believe the accusations of Swetnick. But if you do, TDS has corrupted any semblance of balance and fairness toward your fellow man.
If Breyer had been accused of the same thing, I'd say exactly the same thing because stories like those can ruin a persons reputation and life, even when they are proved to be demonstratively false.
For example, there is speculation Kavanaugh may not be allowed to coach his daughters basketball team in the future.
That would be a very sad consequence all because fanatics decided to make despicable accusations against a person just for political reasons.

`

Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Knowing people are getting raped, would that not be an accessory to the crime?

She is the one that said she knew they were getting raped.

Nope, if it comes out, then so be it, be don't sit there and say you knew it, but did not care about it...O.K., I'll give her 1 time, but multiple times....

Wait, you said Grassley handed the FBI the keys to the candy store....are you backing off your statement now?

No candy store then?

You mean you still think kav done it...
When I said no political gain I meant for Republicans. Even if they find her guilty of a crime -- either perjury or accessory to a crime .....does that really do anything except still implicate Kavanaugh?

I don't know if Kavanaugh 'done it'...but if he did or didn't -- bringing this all up again does nothing for him.

He's on the Supreme Court. Finding this woman guilty of a crime will not erase the accusations from Ford, the stories that his friend Mark Judge wrote about. It is clear we have a new picture of frat boy Kav and it will not go away.

Even if she is found to be convicted of perjury or being complicit, neither of those things clears his name and it just brings it all out again.

Yes -- the FBI can now chase down all those other folks that wanted to support the statements that Kavanaugh was a partying fool.......

This is not what Kavanaugh or this administration wanted to promote.

Even if they find the information they need for a criminal conviction, all of it may stir up more information and keep Kavanaugh and these accusations linked.

I don't think finding no criminal activity will clear Kavanaugh either or make him seem more guilty.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You know it is pathetic enough to want to destroy one persons life on "the other team" yet defend another on your team for the same accusation.
Hillary obviously specialized in such behavior.
Accusations of unwanted advances or even grouping are one thing, however accusations of drugging women and gang raping them, is something completely different.

I doubt in your heart of hearts you really believe the accusations of Swetnick. But if you do, TDS has corrupted any semblance of balance and fairness toward your fellow man.
If Breyer had been accused of the same thing, I'd say exactly the same thing because stories like those can ruin a persons reputation and life, even when they are proved to be demonstratively false.
For example, there is speculation Kavanaugh may not be allowed to coach his daughters basketball team in the future.
That would be a very sad consequence all because fanatics decided to make despicable accusations against a person just for political reasons.

`
In my arguments I have not defended or supported Swetnick but because I don't think this may be the best strategy you all ASSume that I must believe her.

That has nothing to do with this.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
This is a gift to Avenatti. NOW, Kavanaugh will be under deposition. The FBI will actually have to interview all witnesses including Swetnick. Avenatti was trying to get his clients interviewed all along. Yet the FBI investigation was limited. Grassley has opened the box. Kavanaugh and his drinking buddies will be the main targets. Avenatti and his client will back up their claims. Grassley made a big mistake because Kavanaugh, the victims, their friends and family will all be subject to another trial by public opinion. Avenatti gets what he wants after all.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
When I said no political gain I meant for Republicans. Even if they find her guilty of a crime -- either perjury or accessory to a crime .....does that really do anything except still implicate Kavanaugh?

I don't know if Kavanaugh 'done it'...but if he did or didn't -- bringing this all up again does nothing for him.

He's on the Supreme Court. Finding this woman guilty of a crime will not erase the accusations from Ford, the stories that his friend Mark Judge wrote about. It is clear we have a new picture of frat boy Kav and it will not go away.

Even if she is found to be convicted of perjury or being complicit, neither of those things clears his name and it just brings it all out again.

Yes -- the FBI can now chase down all those other folks that wanted to support the statements that Kavanaugh was a partying fool.......

Even if they find the information they need for a criminal conviction, all of it may stir up more information and keep Kavanaugh and these accusations linked.

I don't think finding no criminal activity will clear Kavanaugh either or make him seem more guilty.

This is not about clearing Kavanaugh. If any investigation finds actual evidence of criminal behavior on his part well then deal with it then.
This is about sending a clear message that LYING under oath with the purpose of taking a political figure down that you don't agree with will not be tolerated. I think both parties would join that bandwagon.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:

What it does, and it appears to have alluded you, is that if she is convicted, her 15 minutes of fame has cost her jail time, or at least a very stiff fine. And also says that if you bare false witness...well lets see what happens.......

And also, if she is convicted of lying, it brings a little more light to the others that are lying and just not in this case.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
This is not about clearing Kavanaugh. If any investigation finds actual evidence of criminal behavior on his part well then deal with it then.
This is about sending a clear message that LYING under oath with the purpose of taking a political figure down that you don't agree with will not be tolerated. I think both parties would join that bandwagon.
So for you it is just about the perjury -- and I'm sure you read my post about that.

They have to prove that she lied under oath by proving what she said on TV was truth.

In doing that, Kavanugh is once again implicated.

And so they may prove their point of lying under oath is wrong ...but at what price.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
So for you it is just about the perjury -- and I'm sure you read my post about that.

They have to prove that she lied under oath by proving what she said on TV was truth.

In doing that, Kavanugh is once again implicated.

And so they may prove their point of lying under oath is wrong ...but at what price.
No, they have to prove what she stated in her Affidavit was a lie. What she said on TV may have also been a lie.

The price is that in the future others will not be willing to do the same thing. If nothing happens to her (if she was lying which I happen to believe she was) then were is the deterrent for others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies