Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:43 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Trump, apparently trying to sound rational in a speech clearly written by someone else, said "No one should carelessly compare political opponents to historical villains."

I suppose that means that someone pointed out to him the growing number of people comparing him to Hitler?....

The irony of this post is certainly delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
It made me laugh out loud that he said that. Nobody believes him, especially since he turned around and showed his blaring screaming hypocrisy by going right back to the usual condemnation and bashing that incited all of this to begin with.

He just makes himself look even more foolish by lecturing people not to do what he does every single day and night.

He's just freaking out because he is going to be known as one of the 'historical villains' some day in the future. He already is as far as many are concerned.

He's a sleazy vile person who will be responsible for people getting hurt or killed. Calling for unity and then spewing more hate and bile last night and today. This is beyond hypocrisy. He's very mentally unstable.

"....At the start of a campaign rally in Wisconsin, the president said he wanted Americans “to come together in peace and harmony.” Minutes later, he was attacking immigrants and Democrats...."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...t-last/573970/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/24/polit...dia/index.html

Old 10-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It made me laugh out loud that he said that. Nobody believes him, especially since he turned around and showed his blaring screaming hypocrisy by going right back to the usual condemnation and bashing that incited all of this to begin with.

Nobody? 100,000 came to hear him speak in Houston.

Obama can't even fill up a 2,000 seat venue. And that's with Salt N' Pepper there telling Barry to "Push It". LAWL.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I don't care if you love him or hate him, anyone trying to make that comparison is simply showing their complete ignorance of who Hitler really was and what his true dreams for the Third Reich actually were. I have read extensively about Adolf Hitler. I first became obsessed with WWII and the Holocaust when I was around 10 years old, and since that time I've read probably close to 100 books on the subject. Donald Trump isn't Hitler. Neither was Barack Obama, or George W. Bush, or any of the other presidents that have come and gone and had that evil man's name invoked in comparison with them. There was one and only one Adolf Hitler, and thankfully he is dead and gone.
PS. Simply saying Trump is a nationalist, and so was Hitler, is absolutely not enough to draw a comparison between the two. Once again, using that as your "evidence" is laughable at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
As I have said before.. The comparison of any American Leader to Hitler is a direct slap in the face to anyone that lived through that regime or had to fight to suppress it. It bespeaks an inane lack of understanding or even simple study of the period.

On one hand, I completely understand your feelings, My54ford. But on the other hand, I have to say that the pieces I've read aren't simply coming up with off-the-cuff insults - they're making careful historical comparisons with specific events and policies of Nazi Germany, such as the demonization of the press. (Not to mention the virulent anti-semitism of his followers.). I'm sure you also know the saying that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:50 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What's wrong with being a nationalist? It's just another word for being patriotic and loving the nation you live in. Do you think that's a bad thing?

its a bad thing to liberals that are trying to destroy America.....people are not plug and play, you cant just move them to new places and hope it works out.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
On one hand, I completely understand your feelings, My54ford. But on the other hand, I have to say that the pieces I've read aren't simply coming up with off-the-cuff insults - they're making careful historical comparisons with specific events and policies of Nazi Germany, such as the demonization of the press. (Not to mention the virulent anti-semitism of his followers.). I'm sure you also know the saying that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

There was no demonization of the press in Nazi Germany. Hitler was made dictator, there was no opposing press. Maybe you should study history some more.

Your comparisons are beyond ridiculous.

But hey. Why don't you give us some other examples of things you "studied" as direct analogies to Trump.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What's wrong with being a nationalist? It's just another word for being patriotic and loving the nation you live in. Do you think that's a bad thing?
Yes, absolutely--do you think Hitler was a bad person? He is a famous nationalist.

Patriotism is a love of country that unites people. Nationalism unites people against 'others'. It is an arrogant divisive form of allegiance.

Some thoughts on both--

"Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism....but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By ‘patriotism’ I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally...

Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality...."

"....The Difference Between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does , and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does ; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility while the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to a war..."

"...While patriotism fundamentally means affection for one's country and willingness to defend it, nationalism is a more extreme, unforgiving form of allegiance to one's country. As opposed to patriotism, which involves social conditioning and personal opinion, nationalism involves national identity and the belief that one's nation and/or its government is supreme..."

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/sudhan...b_9354822.html

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...nd-nationalism

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
sounds like another hook, line, and sinker for Trump.. He plays you fools like a fiddle.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:21 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Trump, apparently trying to sound rational in a speech clearly written by someone else, said "No one should carelessly compare political opponents to historical villains."

I suppose that means that someone pointed out to him the growing number of people comparing him to Hitler?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...?tab=most-read
What difference does it make if someone else said it first? I'm sure it was meant to shame those who have erroneously compared him to Hitler. He has a right to defend himself. You Trump haters crack me up. You're so foaming at the mouth that you will make any negative comments you can about him even if they are not true. Get over yourselves and grow up!

Old 10-25-2018, 05:51 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, absolutely--do you think Hitler was a bad person? He is a famous nationalist.

Patriotism is a love of country that unites people. Nationalism unites people against 'others'. It is an arrogant divisive form of allegiance.

Some thoughts on both--

"Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism....but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By ‘patriotism’ I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally...

Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality...."

"....The Difference Between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does , and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does ; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility while the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to a war..."

"...While patriotism fundamentally means affection for one's country and willingness to defend it, nationalism is a more extreme, unforgiving form of allegiance to one's country. As opposed to patriotism, which involves social conditioning and personal opinion, nationalism involves national identity and the belief that one's nation and/or its government is supreme..."

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/sudhan...b_9354822.html

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...nd-nationalism
Other famous Nationalists:
Winston Churchill
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Teddy Roosevelt
John F Kennedy
Dwight Eisenhower
Ronald Reagan
Franklin D Roosevelt

Being proud of your nation state isn't in and of itself evil. Putting the needs of your own nation first before the needs of other nations isn't immoral. You refining terms doesn't actually change their meanings either. Nationalism and patriotism are one and the same thing. The very Left-biased Huffington Post doesn't get to change the meaning of words either. Yes we all know that Progressives have created new-speak where words that were well defined for centuries suddenly mean something else entirely, but I refuse to accept Progressive new-speak.

Nationalism -- Noun -- https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nationalism
  1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
  2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.
  3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.

Deciding that "we're the best country in the world" isn't a bad thing. Rooting for Team USA at the Olympics doesn't make you a bad person. Believing that the USA is the best nation on earth is actually a very positive idea. Conversely, deciding that "It is our destiny to conquer and rule all of humankind" is not nationalism. That's something else altogether.

White nationalism is something else altogether. White nationalists reject the USA and everything it stands for. Instead, they want to destroy it and break it up into racially segregated sectors. White people in live in Whiteland. Black people live in Blackland. These people are delusional. How many pure anything do you think even exists?? Barack Obama is half-black and half-white. Where would the poor guy live? Trump did not claim to be a white nationalist. He said nationalist. These are two massively different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies