Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

She will certainly have her supporters here (and investigation may end up with nothing happening to her), but who in this internet day and age ever thought this would be appropriate to do in public, let alone a teacher.

She knew what she was doing.

https://qctimes.com/news/davenport-d...me-top-story-1

Quote:
The Davenport School District is investigating a first-grade teacher who appeared Friday night at a public Halloween party dressed in blackface.

Walcott Elementary teacher Megan Luloff was part of a group dressed as characters from the movie “Napoleon Dynamite” at the Friday night "Boos Bash" at the Walcott American Legion.

Luloff was Lafawnduh, a character who is black. She declined comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 PM

500 posts, read 319,095 times
Lighten up; it's Halloween for pity's sake.

Do you call out Asians or Blacks for dyeing their hair blonde or for using blue colored contact lenses? Isn't that cultural appropriation too?

Or is it OK with you for all others to appropriate our culture but we must be hyper sensitive to the so very precious feelings of minorities?

Old 10-26-2018, 05:50 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Who cares? This is as bad as Wendy Williams, with her fake blonde hair, calling out Megyn Kelly for her blackface comment. People are too think-skinned these days.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:54 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
time for a congressional investigation. this is serious stuff.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
time for a congressional investigation. this is serious stuff.

hahahaha

Old 10-26-2018, 06:00 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Epic Darwin award winner there.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:33 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
I’ve read about the history of black face to see why it is offensive to people. I do have a few questions though...

Why do people get upset about someone going into full make up for a costume ( black face included), but don’t say anything about these makeup youtubers who happen to be white and show themselves turning into Beyoncé, rhianna, Tina turner, Michael Jackson, etc with makeup? Is that not the same thing? Where does one draw the line and say it is not offensive? Why is the movie white chicks not offensive?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:49 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She will certainly have her supporters here (and investigation may end up with nothing happening to her), but who in this internet day and age ever thought this would be appropriate to do in public, let alone a teacher.

She knew what she was doing.

https://qctimes.com/news/davenport-d...me-top-story-1
No body that "knew that they were doing" would do that and pose for pictures she knew would be shared. Now she will probably lose her job and life. Yeah, she really "knew what she was doing" ruining her life.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
UGH

Are people really this stupid? oh yeah this is 2108 and they are.

I think we all know what racism is and when it is inappropriate to wear black face or not.
If someone is dressing up as an old vaudville act and donning black face to ape/mimic and make a fool of black people then that is racist but what if a white guy wants to dress up as his favorite proud, strong, brave super hero Black Panther?

How can a white guy be Black Panther? How can a white guy be any black character?

Is there a fine line not to be crossed? An unwritten rule? What if I smudged black makeup on my face and went as a soldier from the movie "Predator"? What if someone asked me what I was and I responded "I'm Carl Weathers from Predator"..

The world has to chill. It's Halloween people.

How come no one gets upset when a black person dresses like a white person?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:54 PM

38 posts, read 37,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH

Are people really this stupid? oh yeah this is 2108 and they are.

Wow. We've come a long way since 2018...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies