Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

I think this any would interest any sane American - weirdly prescient, from last week. Environmentalist Bill McKibben wrote an essay proposing that we stop killing, and threatening to kill, despite our vicious president and his minions spouting such violent rhetoric.

Of course, even more relevant now with these bombs mailed to several Democrats.

Let’s Agree Not to Kill One Another
By Bill McKibben

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/20/o...e-another.html

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ed-shooting-me

(I'm including an alternative link, for people for whom it's difficult to access the Times.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:28 PM

15,636 posts, read 10,390,278 times
sure, clarallel. thanks for the heads up.

Your numerous anti-trump threads, usually referencing the very unbiased NYtimes (lol), are always bastions of goodwill and promote reason.

If you believe violence is speech you are part of the problem. negative speech between politicians is common. negative speech is not responsible for the violence of another. and who sent these bombs is unknown. how about waiting to see who sent them and their motive?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-25-2018 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Can we still kill babies in Yemen?

They ain't gonna kill themselves.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think this any would interest any sane American - weirdly prescient, from last week. Environmentalist Bill McKibben wrote an essay proposing that we stop killing, and threatening to kill, despite our vicious president and his minions spouting such violent rhetoric.

Let’s Agree Not to Kill One Another
By Bill McKibben

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/20/o...e-another.html

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ed-shooting-me

(I'm including an alternative link, for people for whom it's difficult to access the Times.)
Don't steal from me, or my family
Don't cheat me, or my family
Don't threaten me, my family, or my property
Don't harm me, my family, or my property

and I won't kill you.
Deal?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Let's agree to show some restraint and not spam the forum with every single anti-Trump article we read.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
sure, clarallel. thanks for the heads up.
Your numerous anti-trump threads, usually referencing the very unbiased NYtimes (lol), are always bastions of goodwill and promote reason.

If you believe violence is speech you are part of the problem. negative speech between politicians is common. negative speech is not responsible for the violence of another. and who send these bombs is unknown. how about waiting to see who sent them and their motive?
Name ONE legitimate major newspaper that you approve of. If you don't like the NYT, do you like the Washington Post? The Chicago Trib? The Boston Globe? I thought not. Any newspaper that have, for instance, won Pulitzers in the last decade? I doubt it.

I didn't say that speech is violence. That's an example of the way you twist words. And if you claim that "negative" speech between politicians now is anything like it used to be, then you're delusional. And, by the way, if you feel there's no connection between politics and the "real" world, did you hear about the guy arrested for groping a woman who declared that Trump said it's all right to grab women by their privates?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Don't steal from me, or my family
Don't cheat me, or my family
Don't threaten me, my family, or my property
Don't harm me, my family, or my property
and I won't kill you. Deal?
You clearly didn't read the article.

By the way, you sound very ignorant of law, or else totally un-American. You have no right to kill someone just because he threatens or cheats you.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:07 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

So why don't you listen to the very article which you linked?

The author of that piece did not call the President "vicious" and his millions of supporters "minions" or "violent".

Those are your words.

This speaks for itself where the problem really lies.

/thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So why don't you listen to the very article which you linked?
The author of that piece did not call the President "vicious" and his millions of supporters "minions" or "violent".
Those are your words.
This speaks for itself where the problem really lies.
First of all, the article is about THREATS. Second, my words are simple descriptions - I'm not cursing, I'm not indulging in wild, unfactual name-calling. Actually, if you do a search for "vicious Trump" you'll get more than 8,000,000 hits, so it's not an original idea with me. And, by the way, do you know what the literal meaning of "vicious" is? That's what Trump is.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The problem with that premise is the ones who want to hurt anyone are the extremists.... And how do you get antifa to not be violent when that is their only plan ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies