Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
You beat me to it!

I can't get over how much these people love their echo chambers.

They blamed GWB for Obama's lousy performance for all eight years!

They'll give Obama all the credit for anything good over the next 8 years, yet quickly blame Trump for even the slightest bad. Note the OP made sure to mention the stock market free fall. Thing is, the market is simply correcting, just as it should. The US still has the hottest economy in the world, but you'd never know it by these partisan hacks.

All of you are so disconnected from reality - it would be hilarious if it wasn't so insane.

No facts posted to contradict the facts. Yet, there is a thread that is pages long praising Trump for a good economy. It simply isn't true. We will always fact check Trump, his supporters and their claims. We welcome facts here. They tell the real story.

Here are a few additional facts over the last 48 hours.

As the midterm elections draw closer, President Donald Trump has increasingly relied on falsehoods and exaggerations to make his closing argument to the voters, who could deal a major blow to Republicans' lock on power in Washington.
So, for two full days this week, CNN tracked everything that the President said: the morning tweets, White House speeches, interviews and press availabilities, his campaign rally in Wisconsin and everything in between.

What's clear is that Trump is most accurate during prepared remarks and when touting his strong economic record. But he strays from the truth when improvising with reporters or attacking his opponents.

[b]Some of his claims simply aren't supported by any evidence. Others are generally true, but wildly exaggerated for no apparent reason. Even with the facts on his side, the President still at times stretches the truth.

Trump is right, though he is off by one year. (It's nearly 49 years.) The unemployment rate reached 3.7% in September, which is the lowest it's been since December 1969. CNN's senior economics writer Lydia DePillis points out that the figure has been declining consistently since 2010, President Barack Obama's second year in office. Trump mentions unemployment rate again the next day, see below.

It's not clear when Trump started counting. Since November 2016, when he became president-elect, non-farm payrolls have increased by 4.24 million, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. But counting from January 2017, when Trump took office, the economy has added 3.8 million jobs. The rate of job creation has been ticking up, but it's not significantly higher than it was during Obama's second term. Trump uses the number 4.2 million at the rally next day, see below.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/26/polit...eck/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Wages are starting to rise
40 years of stagnation for the median worker means that the working class needs more than "starting to rise". 40 years of years with 2% GDP growth, or 5% GDP growth, or 3% GDP growth. History has shown that it doesnt matter. Its continued stagnation for the typical working stiff of this country, and that wont change until the working class find the guts to fight back. When workers are terrified of losing their job because their children have diabetes and they risk dying without the employer based health insurance, of course workers will be at a huge power disadvantage vs the employer. Thats why the elites have always launched attacks against labor unions as there is power in organization. Organized big money knows that.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:08 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Why do we have to pick the economy apart and give one person credit over another?

I am not a fan of Obama but I think we do need to give him credit for getting the economy ball rolling along and we need to give Trump credit for keeping it going.

I know that statement will come as a shock to those that believe in identity politics that separates and divides but it is what it is.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do we have to pick the economy apart and give one person credit over another?

I am not a fan of Obama but I think we do need to give him credit for getting the economy ball rolling along and we need to give Trump credit for keeping it going.

I know that statement will come as a shock to those that believe in identity politics that separates and divides but it is what it is.

I agree no one president can be responsible for the economy as a whole, maybe in part. But this is in response to the Trump supporters here that claim Trump is the best president for the economy. He did it in under 2 years. They continue to bash Obama while praising their furious leader Trump even though Trump continues to lie.

Obama deserves credit for working hard for Americans regarding protection for marginalized groups, the housing market, car industry, pulling out of the Iraq war as well as being honored with a Nobel Peace Prize.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:30 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I agree no one president can be responsible for the economy as a whole, maybe in part. But this is in response to the Trump supporters here that claim Trump is the best president for the economy. He did it in under 2 years. They continue to bash Obama while praising their furious leader Trump even though Trump continues to lie.

Obama deserves credit for working hard for Americans regarding protection for marginalized groups, the housing market, car industry, pulling out of the Iraq war as well as being honored with a Nobel Peace Prize.

Trump doesn't pick groups to benefit( division ). Everyone gets the same deal ( not division).

Are we expected to ignore this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOpN_rNFVY

And this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jzbztqJ-IQ

Old 10-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trump doesn't pick groups to benefit( division ). Everyone gets the same deal ( not division).

Are we expected to ignore this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOpN_rNFVY

And this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jzbztqJ-IQ
We know that's not true about Trump. Say that to LGBT, veterans, athletes, immigrants, students and women.

If I post rally videos and Twitter posts of the negative rhetoric Trump spews, it would shut down the internet traffic to this forum.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:01 PM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What Obama and his zombie followers failed to understand is that knowledge is wealth that can't be transferred like money in a bank account. His lies are legendary and his legacy, along with his corruption.

No one need be a Trump supporter to understand that. The gnashing teeth class will never get it.
....What?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:03 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
We know that's not true about Trump. Say that to LGBT, veterans, athletes, immigrants, students and women.

If I post rally videos and Twitter posts of the negative rhetoric Trump spews, it would shut down the internet traffic to this forum.
Listing groups for division again. That's divisive !!!

Un-American in principle opposed to united under 1 flag.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
I really have to respond to this because a lot of what you say is just inaccurate.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000006

In this BLS chart, black unemployment was 9.1% when Obama took office, increased as high as 16.5%. Then, in Obama’s last few years, decreased to 7.9%

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000009

In this BLS chart, Hispanic unemployment was 6.3% when Obama took office, increased as high as 12.3% then to 5.9 when Obama left office. The next article explains why.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...-trump-economy

Hispanics are flourishing in Trump’s economy. Note the quote in this article:

“Contrast this to the Obama economy. It took until 2015 for Hispanic household incomes to finally get back to their 2006 levels. For the population as a whole, household incomes remained flat between 2010 and 2014, as President Obama rolled out one job-killing policy after the next.”

The last line says it all.

The third quarter of 2018 showed a "solid" 3.5% growth. The US is nearly at full employment.

These two articles explain it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.6b9685554b22

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...er/1767357002/

We gained in some areas and lost in some areas – as is the experience of all presidents.

What is the common thread is the consumer confidence in spending. Also what is key is that it should not have taken the Obama administration so long to recover. Experts attribute that to Obama's job-killing policies. Now, was Obama all the bad that was portrayed? Not at all. But neither is Trump, and Trump hating does our US no good.

Stock gains and losses occur. Experienced stock traders, some of whom are herein, can attest to that better than I can.

Will Trump get to the 4% GDP? It is predicted he will not. I hope it does, because that can only help American citizens. Personally, given what we know, I would much rather suffer market corrections with Trump than I would Obama.

Quote:
President Obama’s administration deserves 90% of the credit for record low minority unemployment numbers. Consider the following facts (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics):

1. Overall, when President Obama took office at the peak of the great recession, unemployment reached 10.9%. The Obama team decreased unemployment from 10.9% down to 4.7% (-6.2%). Trump decreased it down from 4.7% to 3.9% (-.8%). Hence, Obama delivered 6.2% of the current improvement, while Trump has delivered less than 1% of the improvement.

2 For blacks, at peak recession when Obama took office, black unemployment was 16.8%. The Obama team decreased it from 16.8% down to 7.8% (-9). Trump has decreased it from 7.8% down to 6.6% (1.2%). Hence, Obama delivered 9 % of the current black improvement rate, while Trump has delivered only 1.2% of the improvement. Obama created 3.2 Million jobs for blacks, Trump has created 700,000. Now, who should get most of the credit for black unemployment? Obama not Trump!

3. For Hispanics, at the peak of the Great Recession, Hispanic unemployment was 19.5 million. Under the Obama team it grew by 6 million to 25.5 million. Under Trump it has grown by 1.9 million to 27.4 million. Hence, Obama has delivered far more Hispanic jobs than Trump and deserves most of the credit for the current unemployment rates.

4.In Obama’s last 16 months, job growth increased by 2.4%. In Trump’s first 16 months, job growth increased 2.1%.

All the stock gains from last year have been wiped away.
Trump has a so-called tax reduction in the form of an increased national deficit.
Companies are starting to lose money and passing it along to consumers in the form of higher costs because of tariff wars.

We are seeing the effects of Trump's economy now. I thought it would take longer but it's here.

Yet, radio silence from Trump on the stock market free fall.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Just look at the GDP during Obama's term, and the GDP growth during Trump's so far. Obama didn't build that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies