Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Why? Because of a breadth of new research suggesting education in a child's early years will highly influence their outcomes for life. Unfortunately, in America, the value of a child's education is determined by the market. If you're poor, Ayn Rand says "*********." Economic literature for the past decade has shown socioeconomic advancement in America is lower than in most developed countries; meaning, poor people in America tend to stay poor. I believe this is partly due to dismal participation in pre-schools, again, due to cost. Unfortunately, I doubt well ever see anything like this in America outside of New York, Chicago, etc. But don't worry, there will always be money bombing for Syria, Yemen, [insert country]. Eh?

https://www.epi.org/publication/usa-...ries-mobility/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2BJ...index=2&t=213s
Sure, if you want an authoritarian government like Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Looks like I hit a nerve. School choice should sever that nerve. Scrub up doctors so we can introduce diversity of thought in a sterile environment. Leftist so sterile in thought its a wonder they can have kids but their focus isn't their kids. They want control over the thoughts of all kids. Providing the large group setting is fundamental to their mental state. Make the country the asylum.

Last edited by phma; 10-27-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Looks like I hit a nerve. School choice should sever that nerve.
You can choose not to attend pre-k in America, but there should be a choice for people who cannot afford it. Otherwise, we get an endless loop of poverty.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
I watched the video, and while the general theme can be beneficial, the curriculum is probably to "progressive" for our more independent culture.
Then again, having kids glued to the TV and smart phones is not doing them any good in the long run either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Looks like I hit a nerve. School choice should sever that nerve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You can choose not to attend pre-k in America, but there should be a choice for people who cannot afford it. Otherwise, we get an endless loop of poverty.
You both make valid points, and are probably not diametrically opposed if you could get past the politics of it.
Phma obviously fears indoctrination of a liberal/leftist PC culture, and Drewjdeg feels that X amount of children get left behind because of financial constraints.
Examples of both scenarios occur in this country, but that doesn't mean we should not try to bridge the divide.

______

On a separate note, there is a documentary started in the 1970's and that actually continues to this day.
It is about how by the age of 7, most kids paths have been set for their future, and the "UP" series follows and re-interviews the same kids (now obviously adults) from when they were 7, until the last installment at 56 years old.
I think "63 Up" is being filmed this year, and will likely be released in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTCEydedhk

It is fascinating, and well worth a look. I watched "21 Up" and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'd start with that one if anyone cares to watch the series;

https://www.amazon.com/56-Up-Bruce/d...N4D79QYV6XGVTS

`

Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I watched the video, and while the general theme can be beneficial, the curriculum is probably to "progressive" for our more independent culture.
Then again, having kids glued to the TV and smart phones is not doing them any good in the long run either.

You both make valid points, and are probably not diametrically opposed if you could get past the politics of it.
Phma obviously fears indoctrination of a liberal/leftist PC culture, and Drewjdeg feels that X amount of children get left behind because of financial constraints.
Examples of both scenarios occur in this country, but that doesn't mean we should not try to bridge the divide.

______

On a separate note, there is a documentary started in the 1970's and that actually continues to this day.
It is about how by the age of 7, most kids paths have been set for their future, and the "UP" series follows and re-interviews the same kids (now obviously adults) from when they were 7, until the last installment at 56 years old.
I think "63 Up" is being filmed this year, and will likely be released in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTCEydedhk

It is fascinating, and well worth a look. I watched "21 Up" and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'd start with that one if anyone cares to watch the series;

https://www.amazon.com/56-Up-Bruce/d...N4D79QYV6XGVTS

`
Fair enough. But what - specifically - do you find as being PC or left-wing teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies