Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:36 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, it sounds corny, but after a few events over the last week that I've experienced I thought I'd see what some of you "political warriors" thoughts might be on the subject. But first, let me add some context to my question.

During the past week, whatever forces which control our existence chose to put three opportunities in my path to help people in need. The first occurred on Tuesday, when I saw an older black man on crutches traveling down the side of the highway. Now, ordinarily I might have continued on my way, but at the time I wasn't in a hurry to get to work or anything, so I passed the man, turned around, and came back and offered him a ride. It turned out he was only trying to get to the corner store, about a mile away, so I gave him a ride to the store and then back home, which was about another mile from where I originally picked him up. Our entire encounter only lasted about 20 minutes, but in that time we talked a bit. He told me about the reason for his current ailment (accident at work) and why he was trying to walk to the store instead of driving (flat tire/no spare). I also happened to notice the small "I voted" sticker on his jacket. I mentioned this and it lead to a conversation about politics and current events which lasted for the remainder of our time together. And one thing I found while talking to this man, who is a member of the party opposite of mine, was that we actually agreed on a number of issues currently affecting America. We didn't agree on everything, but we managed to have a completely ordinary conversation on the drive back to his home and for a few minutes in his driveway. I left feeling good that I had helped this man, and I'm pretty sure he felt the same.

Fast forward to Thursday evening, and I was presented with another opportunity to help out. This one was pretty weird though. I was at a local Dollar General store, and as I walked out I noticed an older white lady in near hysterics, talking to another man and pointing under her car. I walked over and asked what was going on, and she replied that there was a snake or something under her car. At this point, I got down on the asphalt and looked under her car, but could see nothing. That is, until a little nose popped out near her back driver's side tire. Turns out, it wasn't a snake at all. It was a baby possum. The possum must have climbed up into her car and traveled with her all the way from home. And now, it didn't want to come out. The woman was so upset, not wanting to drive her car off with a live animal underneath it, so I went inside and got a broom from the cashier, and proceeded to try and scare the animal out from under her car. After about 10 minutes of trying, I finally managed to get the little sucker to come out and he ran off across the parking lot. The women thanked me several times, and then she headed home. And I sat in my car for a moment, pondering the fact that this was twice this week I'd had an opportunity to help someone in need and actually seized that opportunity.

Which brings me to last night. One of my customers came in to pick up their order from my restaurant, and as she went to pull out her debit card she realized she didn't have it. So she went back out to her car. A few minutes later, she came back in with a card, but it wasn't the one she had actually meant to use. She asked me to please keep an eye out for a debit card that she had apparently lost somewhere between her car and the counter. It was dark and rainy outside, and she couldn't find it anywhere on the ground or in her car. So, after accepting her payment and getting her food, I told her I'd go look around outside for her card while she got her drinks together and everything. And after a few minutes of searching and getting more than a little soaked, I actually found the card. Apparently, when she got out of the car she had dropped the card, and the rain had washed it away almost to the back of our parking lot. I brought the card in to her and the look of relief on her face was more than worth the trouble I went through to find it. Now, let me just say, this woman is actually the head of the Democratic Party in the county I live in. I know this because I've actually dealt with her many times during elections. She will often come into the precinct I work in to ask for vote counts and things of that nature. She is quite an activist as well, and has often put forward beliefs in our local paper that I absolutely do not agree with. But in the end, these issues I have with her political beliefs did not stop me from helping her when she needed it. And I think that's exactly the point I'm trying to get to here.

In the end, we are truly all just Americans. And my willingness to help this woman, who I know to be a Democrat and who knows me to be a Republican, simply illustrates that the hatred we sometimes espouse towards each other does not extend to every aspect of our lives. I believe, if we seize these opportunities to help each other, we may find opportunities to come together when it comes to other issues that we all face. And maybe a little kindness will soften our thick skins just a bit, and we might be able to come together and understand that in the end, we really aren't that different from one another. Most of us really want the same things, we simply don't agree on the how to accomplish those goals.

So if you get a chance to help someone in need, try to seize that opportunity. You may just make a new friend, and you might just get a chance to make someone understand that although you don't agree with everything they may think or say, you are willing to listen and not opposed to working with those on the opposite side of the aisle to resolve our problems. At least, that's sort of what I took from my experiences this week. So after sharing my story, I'm just wondering what you folks think. Could simple kindness towards people, be they on our side politically or not, actually help us bridge this ever-widening gap we see forming between us in America today?

Old 10-27-2018, 02:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
NOPE, way past the point of anything but a total restructuring of the nation being a remedy for what ails it.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:04 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Sadly, no. The Democrat left's intentionally divisive "Identity politics" and "Political correctness" agenda is setting us against each other and tearing us apart. The outrageously unequal double standards that are relentlessly promoted by the Democrat left media, Hollywood and the Democrat party are intolerable, unsustainable and socially quite dangerous.

Until this despicably vile agenda is substantially rejected from our society, this social divide will remain. The question at this point is how much worse is this divide going to get before it gets better.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
It's a very lovely idea - perhaps you could get the younger Bushes to speak up to revive Bush Sr.'s hope of a "kinder, gentler nation."

But I fear that's not realistic. The Democratic Party ideally hopes to help people in need. They support all kinds of financial and legal programs for that, such as Obamacare. But you have to keep in mind that the Republicans, on the other hand, were the group that roared approval - I think it was at a McCain rally - at the idea of simply letting people who couldn't afford medical care to die, as if they were animals in the wild. The Republicans are the ones shrieking "String her up!" about Hillary, proposing an extrajudicial killing.

In other words, although of course there are exceptions, I think you're facing a totally oppositional mindset.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
You go to the right places in this Country and kindness/good deeds are the norm not the exception. I.E. the guy that helped my daughter change a flat last week. Or neighbors helping a sick neighbor finish his harvest... Part and parcel if you live in the right parts of the country.....

Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Sadly not a chance. The political division in this country is divided largely along racial and cultural lines, we’re talking years of history here.

What this country needs is more viable political parties that can better represent the complex political stances of most Americans.

We’re divided because the only viable political parties in this country are polar opposites of each other. Generally, a conservative will not cross to the other side nor vice versa. Yes it happens but it’s not common enough for all Americans to agree with each other

Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
People's political beliefs don't matter if they need help. Most of the people who work for me have opposite views of mine. Doesn't change how I see any of them or my willingness to help people.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:52 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
It would be worth a try. Couldn't hurt.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
I see glimmers of hope still out there. I heard about this debate on the radio...at the end, the 2 candidates performed a musical duet together.

"The song they played that night -- and for us after -- is about longing for a less competitive society. Their rendition so resonated with folks in northern Vermont, CBS News actually saw houses that had signs for both candidates -- a clear indication that the winner of this race has already been decided: A landslide victory for civility."

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/luc...duet-zac-mayo/

Old 10-27-2018, 04:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Adopt the NAP folks.

Your life is sooooooo much simpler and gentler afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies