Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think voters fall mostly into two categories: well-informed or poorly informed. Sadly, the poorer people are often the less educated and the less informed. They fall prey to misleading claims (or sometimes outright lies, such as Republicans claiming they support healthcare covering pre-existing conditions) as the Republicans intend they should. Republicans hope for an ignorant electorate.

There's also a second division, I suspect: more greedy and less greedy. You can see, even here in this forum, people supporting Trump mainly because they hope to be enriching themselves. Then there are others who put a high premium on issues that reflect a broader concern for the general welfare of the country, people for whom education and civil rights are important.

I think that what you're seeing may be an anomaly. The GOP is traditionally the party of the rich. But you may also be seeing a wealthy group of educated people who have a better grasp of issues. It would be interesting if you looked up the demographics of the percentage of college-educated people in the two areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Nice assumption. I am very highly educated. I read a LOT. I'll read anything if I believe it will educate me. I'm fascinated by quantum physics, and the origins of our universe. I am fascinated by many things. That you would write me off as poorly educated and misinformed simply because I'm financially poor (I'm disabled. I can't work.) is so offensive to me I can't put it into words. Condescending, supercilious (There's a new word for you. You're welcome.) a-holes irritate me in the extreme. I'd compare brain pans with those like you any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but it would be a complete waste of my time. I was comprehending what I read at the college level in the third grade. I design and build my own operating systems for fun. Don't look down your nose at me. Do not make assumptions of the intelligence of others based on financial situation.
My own interests are not as rooted in science as geeki's, but I share her love of learning, and yes, I, too, am poor. I agree with a lot of what you say, particularly when it comes to personal issues, as opposed to policies that benefit others absent personal enrichment, but your generalization of poor people as uneducated and uninformed is ugly.

Clarallel, one complaint I hear often is about the "liberal elite," who look down on others based on finances and education. It offends me, too, when I see it, and I cannot deny that sometimes I do. Please don't be that liberal. It doesn't help anyone.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:42 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation based on party signs on lawns, in cars or on street corners.

In our area in Florida there is a wide demographic, from affluent to not so. In driving around doing what one does regularly, shopping , Doc appointments etc. I have observed the following:

The Affluent, those that drive nice new cars, live in higher priced homes, with manicured lawns and those in up market gated communities etc. predominantly appear to display Democrat signage. My uneducated guess is about 80% Blue to 20% Red.

The not so, mobile home parks, low income areas, scruffy real estate areas etc., are almost the complete reverse, I would say 90% Red and 10% Blue.

One would think that it would actually be the reverse, and the less affluent would like more access to services like healthcare, Medicaid, ACA etc. (Democrat Type policies) and the more affluent would like lower taxes, and other Republican type policies.

I have no idea why this should be, whether is it poor education on the policies, individual ideologies, or whatever.

Just saying, this seems apparent for where we live in about a 20 mile radius. Again, this seems to be what I have noticed and not a general statistic.
You seem to be making assumptions that just aren't historically or verifiably true. This article analyzes voters on various forms of public assistance by political party affiliation. The sources cited are The Maxwell Poll (syracuse.edu) and NPR.

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

Old 10-28-2018, 06:14 AM

989 posts, read 768,734 times
It was just an un-scientific observation on a small area. Not meant to be categoric or actual. Not meant to be anything other than just that, an observation, certainly not controversial. I just thought it interesting. I am sure that other areas of the country are all different.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:15 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation based on party signs on lawns, in cars or on street corners.

In our area in Florida there is a wide demographic, from affluent to not so. In driving around doing what one does regularly, shopping , Doc appointments etc. I have observed the following:

The Affluent, those that drive nice new cars, live in higher priced homes, with manicured lawns and those in up market gated communities etc. predominantly appear to display Democrat signage. My uneducated guess is about 80% Blue to 20% Red.

The not so, mobile home parks, low income areas, scruffy real estate areas etc., are almost the complete reverse, I would say 90% Red and 10% Blue.

One would think that it would actually be the reverse, and the less affluent would like more access to services like healthcare, Medicaid, ACA etc. (Democrat Type policies) and the more affluent would like lower taxes, and other Republican type policies.

I have no idea why this should be, whether is it poor education on the policies, individual ideologies, or whatever.

Just saying, this seems apparent for where we live in about a 20 mile radius. Again, this seems to be what I have noticed and not a general statistic.

Why do people vote the way they do?

"This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation"

No kidding!

"One would think that it would actually be the reverse,"

PLEASE STOP THINKING.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that many of the wealthy people in Florida are transplants from NY/NJ. I would expect that those states have a much higher percentage of wealthy liberals than most states.

Interestingly, when we were in Myrtle Beach, SC a few years ago in October before a big election, we were driving around a neighborhood with $1,000,000+ homes and I didn't see one Democrat yard sign, literally zero. They were solidly Republican, yet MB has many wealthy transplants from the North too. Perhaps they come from more moderate states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
The more I think about as to why the have nots vote Red, I think it is because of ignorance to the policies, and who they listen to and believe. I do not mean ignorance in a derogatory way. In a lot of cases some people believe what they want to as opposed what is right and true.

I get my hair cut at a little local hair salon, the folk who work there are great people, caring and of good character, I go out of my way to give them my business, they are the self proclaimed "Working Poor". They were/are completely unaware as to why none (yes NONE) of them could qualify for healthcare (Medicaid). They fall into the group between regular Medicaid and the ACA. The will not believe that why they cannot get Medicaid is because our republican state governor refused to expand Medicaid. That is the ignorance I am talking about. They vote Red regardless of their social predicament. How can one compete with that?
Perhaps they vote Red because of other issues that are more important to them than being able to receive Medicaid and they cannot support the Democratic party's stance on those issues? Most people do not vote based on one issue and some people put their personal convictions ahead of monetary gain.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:36 AM

4,535 posts, read 3,738,912 times
Quote:
It was just an un-scientific observation on a small area. Not meant to be categoric or actual. Not meant to be anything other than just that, an observation, certainly not controversial. I just thought it interesting. I am sure that other areas of the country are all different.

I agree, it is interesting for sure. I've lived in poor states like Kentucky, Alabama and MS and they are all republican. The "wealthier" areas in NC all vote Democrat and heavily so.

Don't these lower income people understand that the Republicans are not doing you any favors at all!

Take a listen to this 2 minute clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-wCe5oAv8

Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,920,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I agree, it is interesting for sure. I've lived in poor states like Kentucky, Alabama and MS and they are all republican. The "wealthier" areas in NC all vote Democrat and heavily so.

Don't these lower income people understand that the Republicans are not doing you any favors at all!
Same response to your question as the OP's question. You assume that people have some ability or desire to "understand" their situation. This requires critical thinking skills. Americans in large part no longer have these skills or value them. I would also argue that a large portion of the population has zero interest in history, or any comprehension of how it usually repeats itself. With the passing of the Greatest Generation, those lessons are being forgotten. Instead we've decided that life is all about playing with electronic toys and binge watching the latest Netflix or Amazon offering.

Here's an interesting breakdown of the vote for Trump and Clinton. (Apologies if paywall blocks you).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/colle...tion/37424551/

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 10-28-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:50 AM

989 posts, read 768,734 times
I must admit, I am a 4 issue voter. I was a registered republican but changed this year to Independent. Being a senior, I am concerned about Healthcare for DW, Medicare for me, SS for us both and stricter Gun control. I have some concern about climate, global interference and trade, but they do not affect me directly. I will be long gone by the time it affects the the USA, it is those with kids that need to worry about that. After the last 2 years all I have heard and have read about is how the reps want to reduce access to GOOD healthcare, remove Pre-Existing Conditions or create Hi risk (very high cost) Pools which will fill up very quickly, reduce SS and how they pander to the Gun lobby. So I am changing this year.

I care far less about, R v W, anything religious (The reps bring way to much religion into politics for my liking, Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?), taxes, or any of their other policies. Why? because they are the ones that affect me and my family personally.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
I bet most people vote the way their parents did, too. The philosophy of their parents, the values, the way people grow up and all of that runs very deep and just gets passed on to the kids and in your own politics. Not everybody, but a good percentage. My parents were a Republican (NE brand) and Democrat. LOL. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.