Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:50 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Not true at all. I'm not sure what you mean by 'super rich,' but if you are talking about California's billionaires, there are a ton of major Republican donors. Larry Ellison, Donald Bren, Charles Schwab, Ruper Johnson, Tamara Gustavson, Archie Aldis Emmerson, Rick Caruso, Anthony Pritzker, the Bechtels, Thomas Siebel, Peter Thiel, Alexander Spanos, Charles Munger, and others are particularly partisan Republican. There are many more who have given generously to Republican candidates while also supporting Democrats on occasion, people like Meg Whitman (herself a Republican nominee for governor in 2010) and Marc Andreessen. My grandfather was a major Republican fundraiser (Bush Super Ranger, finance co-chair of numerous presidential campaigns, and more) in Southern California. I know of what I speak. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Also, it's kind of unbelievable to me that someone who claims to live in San Diego could claim that the 'super rich' of California 'are not Republican.' You live in one of the most politically conservative places in coastal California. Rancho Santa Fe and Coronado are some of the most politically conservative and wealthy enclaves in the nation.
And yet Democrats still hold a sizable majority when it comes to the rolls in San Diego County (+120K). The 2016 precinct map shows that almost every precinct on the coast is blue, if not dark blue. You give me Rancho Santa Fe and Coranado and I'll give you Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Solana Beach, Pacific Beach, North Park, Hillcrest, Bankers Hill, etc, etc, etc that goes Democrat by huge margins. So maybe you should get out of your grandfather's generation and look at the present - - because you don't know what you speak.

California neighborhood election results: Did your precinct vote to elect Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
This is a purely un-qualified or substantiated observation based on party signs on lawns, in cars or on street corners.

In our area in Florida there is a wide demographic, from affluent to not so. In driving around doing what one does regularly, shopping , Doc appointments etc. I have observed the following:

The Affluent, those that drive nice new cars, live in higher priced homes, with manicured lawns and those in up market gated communities etc. predominantly appear to display Democrat signage. My uneducated guess is about 80% Blue to 20% Red.

The not so, mobile home parks, low income areas, scruffy real estate areas etc., are almost the complete reverse, I would say 90% Red and 10% Blue.

One would think that it would actually be the reverse, and the less affluent would like more access to services like healthcare, Medicaid, ACA etc. (Democrat Type policies) and the more affluent would like lower taxes, and other Republican type policies.

I have no idea why this should be, whether is it poor education on the policies, individual ideologies, or whatever.

Just saying, this seems apparent for where we live in about a 20 mile radius. Again, this seems to be what I have noticed and not a general statistic.
Some have never been taught to fish. Some don't want to fish. Some have no access to a fishing pole.
Others were taught to fish, sometime in their lives. Some fish a little and catch the big ones, some fish, using the wrong bait and rarely catch anything. Some catch enough to have someone come take them at gunpoint and threats.

They vote accordingly.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And yet Democrats still hold a sizable majority when it comes to the rolls in San Diego County (+120K). The 2016 precinct map shows that almost every precinct on the coast is blue, if not dark blue. You give me Rancho Santa Fe and Coranado and I'll give you Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Solana Beach, Pacific Beach, North Park, Hillcrest, Bankers Hill, etc, etc, etc that goes Democrat by huge margins. So maybe you should get out of your grandfather's generation and look at the present - - because you don't know what you speak.

California neighborhood election results: Did your precinct vote to elect Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? - Los Angeles Times
You present the 2016 election as if it were typical. It wasn't. Dig up precinct maps from 2012, 2008, 2004, and beyond. It's a very different picture.

Democrats did better among affluent voters in 2016 than they ever have in history. My family was mostly unsupportive of Donald Trump. However, millions of dollars and millions of votes continued to flow to Republican candidates down ballot. You don't know this world.

Democrats do not form a majority of SD County voters. They are at about 35%.

Democrats like to have it both ways. Their stereotypical Republican does not exist. They would have you believe that a Republican is someone with no teeth driving a Rolls-Royce with Alabama plates and with a day job at Goldman Sachs a primary residence in a Mississippi trailer park with a weekend residence on Nantucket. You make no sense.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:41 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that many of the wealthy people in Florida are transplants from NY/NJ. I would expect that those states have a much higher percentage of wealthy liberals than most states.

Interestingly, when we were in Myrtle Beach, SC a few years ago in October before a big election, we were driving around a neighborhood with $1,000,000+ homes and I didn't see one Democrat yard sign, literally zero. They were solidly Republican, yet MB has many wealthy transplants from the North too. Perhaps they come from more moderate states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

"Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that many of the wealthy people in Florida are transplants from NY/NJ. I would expect that those states have a much higher percentage of wealthy liberals than most states. "

CAN'T be true.

According to most libs on here, only Repubs are rich.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Perhaps they vote Red because of other issues that are more important to them than being able to receive Medicaid and they cannot support the Democratic party's stance on those issues? Most people do not vote based on one issue and some people put their personal convictions ahead of monetary gain.
"Most people do not vote based on one issue"

We have seen that change over the past 25 years or so.

Many women ADMIT voting for a woman politician ONLY became it is a woman.

Many blacks vote on "racism" only.

Many gays/lesbians vote on "sex" issues only.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
understanding the issues is most important... Many in society simply don't care much for reading and researching to get the fuller picture.

Drama suffices for some, via "Paid Commercial Advertisement" and then "others follow name recognition" and still others have various other agendas.

Being Informed should truly be a basis of factoring in how one votes. But it goes further, It means understanding the basics of Civics. Knowing about American History, and truly understanding the roles that Government plays in setting a foundation as well as understanding how Government investment is involved in a vast amount of what takes place in cities, towns and states. Government have a responsibility to help society, although some don't believe it, but without it we'd have far worst situations across this nation.

People don't understand the value of paying taxes, but people like to drive on nice roads, they like the street lights to come on, they like the navigational signs on the roadway, and so many many things that people take for granted. I named those few, because often people take no concern for it, until they hit a pothole, or they have an accident and the attorney tells them, there should have been a sign.

I don't think many people know what it takes to make a City Function, and certainly less about what it takes to make an entire state function.

Developers build communities, and when they are done, often time the next phase involves how to turn it over to the city for services and maintenance.

We've all seen the Austerity Seekers, and We've seen the Growth Seekers.... We've seen places with growth seekers flourish and we've seen Austerity Seekers see places deteriorate. One can go to any city in America and find the ghetto section and often it is expanding. People can go and see communities fall and become challenged, with unkept properties and many things that exist when the downfall is in process.

Often time people can look at people and visually see and know who is poor and who is not. People can watch people and see who handles themselves as being educated and informed and who is not educated and poorly informed.

There are people in office, who don't have a plan they only have "hot button drama issues to talk about", issue they know there is no "one size fits all fix"... yet, they pump it up and drum it up with drama... and incite the people when they know they can't deliver anything that will fit and fix the overall.

Some people like to be told what to do, how and when to do it and then they want to be told why they are doing it, whereas some people are informed and need not to be told what to do, how to do it and when; they understand why the civics of the environment.
Those who understand growth and change is ever present will push for growth and accept the change that comes with the growth... they don't expect it to be perfect, only that it make progress. The people who don't cry about Taxes know what the benefit of taxes support and provide to all of society, they know they need to choose informed elected people, and they know they need people who understand city level funding, which is nothing like the average person concept of funding and budgeting is.

I watch some cities grow and some stagnate... I've seen people come to City Councils and fight against everything. Sadly, [b]Nostalgia is often filled with much "Confabulation". Some places completely ignore the younger people between the age of 14-27 and this is a group that fuels the commercial sectors, whether they spend their own money or their parents money.

People talk about "The Good Ole Days"... but those days were never such an idealistic mecca as they fantasize it being, they simply did not have the level of responsibility, they come to learn of and become engaged to have to handle those responsibilities for themselves. (Its like the ideals of childhood, when things are so simple, and adulthood brings with it the responsibility to handle their own needs and wants and work and find out that things don't come so easy, as they did when one was a child, and mom and dad bought and paid for things, prepared the dinner, washed the clothes and provided the roof over their head.) I've heard more young people who wish they'd not left home when they did, and some who get families earlier, and say, they wish they'd known it was the challenge that it is, before they expanded it the way they did.

Daily responsibility is a many things. In everyday society, people don't walk around talking politics all day and it rarely head in the workplace. These Forums are a unique things... People can talk politics and push and express all their anguish about society, but when they move away from the computer, those who work, go back to work and politics is not the theme of their day, 'work is"... working with their co-workers, trying to plan how they will utilize their pay to make their lives work, get some of the things they want and then how to have time to enjoy their life away from work.

I write and try and reference history, and various current events, and my theme is always the same... Learn from history, work to make life better, and place ones self not above others and "get information", seek out knowledge and gain the wisdom by continual research to know how to use that knowledge to make things better not just for self but for society. For some reason post get deleted, because truths are not always gum drops and sugar plumbs, it comes sometime with a bitter-sweet reality, and some come like lemons, but can be made into lemonade, and lemon pie... but it takes "work"... that work is often the pursuit and gaining of information, and the knowledge and understanding of how to put that information and knowledge to work for the better.

It does not matter so much where one starts in life... it matter more how they apply themselves in living. the span of life is longer on this earth than anyone knows for certain... and over that span, things improve every year... it's not at he speed of the fantasies people have, but if ones looks over their life they can see the continual improving advancements all around. "there is no perfect" !!!! In a Democracy, it is not meant to satisfy everyone, it is meant to build a reasonable system where everyone can participate.

Material Wealth is not the measure of mankind or the individual... it is a means for people to enact ideas and gain others to participate in making those ideas come to be functional and in that, % of profit is spread among the participating self investment of those who participate.

There are no Guarantees.... We get the opportunity to live "day by day", "moment by moment'.... No person can control the world, and even in a household, one can't predict nor can they dictate how each member in that household will evolve to live their life.

When it come to voting and policy making... One must know... anything they vote to deny to others, will come full circle and be likewise denied to them as well. One can be up today, and down tomorrow by the reality of life, and what they voted to deny to others, their own conditions can change that what they voted to deny to others can be what they themselves come to need the most, if not for themselves, for someone in their family and friends network.

Therefore, people should think carefully about their vote... not based on "emotions of the moment", or "drama of the advertisements". They should think it through... and look beyond resentment, envy, contempt and let not rage be in their heart when they cast their vote.

The society and the Nations it exist within is far bigger than anyone's envy, it is more vast than anyone's resentment, and it is more important than anyone's anguish; and a future will unfold regardless how hard anyone fights to try and recreate any moment of the past.

No people have ever been contained forever... not any places on this planet.... nor will people ever accept or be permanently contained, and any who seek to contain others, have also contained themselves even more so.

Therefore, choose "Liberty for Humanity", and Compassion for Society, because its people working together that makes it all work.... and sustain a system where all can participate.

At this time in society, we should vividly see.. the contempt and rage only distorts our progress and agitates our society, and the principle becomes true, that a "divided house cannot stand".

VOTE with a Dignity of RESPONSIBLE Concern For and Of Others.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-29-2018 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
the issues I feel strongly about
the character, believability, competence (perceived) of the candidates

I am conservative

I voted for slick willy second term (and I think he did great) and for Kerry based on the idiots they ran against

I voted independent because Mcsame and Osama Obama were the worst choices ever

I did NOT vote because GWB and Gore were laughable

if the left had not gone so far off the deep end, and there were better choices than Bernie or Killary...and if Pelosi and schumer were not in the picture, I would not have voted trump

however hindsight being 20/20 I am GLAD I voted trump...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Hillary was a very good candidate, because of her skill and her knowledge and experience, and the long fight for the health of the American people, from children, to seniors, and young adults.
I was not hoodwinked by the Benghazi spin and its planned aims to smear her, and true to fact, when it was proven that the responsibility for security was the Republican Congress, we heard no more about Benghazi.

As to Emails... it was not a big issue, others had used private servers, Trump had servers that had been wiped, and Pence had emails that were not accounted for.

Hillary knew more about elements of security and national security than any of the people in the race, she had been in the White House for 8 yrs, under Clinton and 4 yrs as Secretary of State as well as a Senator as well. That's Experience and her values did not change away from concern and care for children, elderly, young adults and the betterment of this country and its systems. She was part of the Clinton Presidency that lowered the deficit and left a budget surplus, so its certain that she was and is informed of many matters, she supported the health care for Americans that President Obama signed into Law. She championed for assistance and help for the young people to not be shackled by education debt and believe that all people deserve opportunity. Equality for women, and Economic Opportunity for all who prepare, invest themselves and bring their will to work in being a contributor. He concerns for Business is about Business being Fair to People as both consumers and employees. She supported the Obama Administration to create and promote the Consumer Protection Programming that Elizabeth Warren heads. She knew more about "international relations and the value and work it takes for diplomacy, and how to stand up against the likes of Putin, and still push to find diplomatic means that can allow the world to continue to function.
She understood the value that the Obama Administration engaged and the work it took to save and uplift this economy, stop people homes from being foreclosed, and the value of providing people benefits during such a time of major economic calamity that bordered on default if we had not got it right.

Was she Perfect... NO... No one is perfect... but she would never have promoted so much vile and contempt as we've seen over the past two yrs, nor the level of vitriol that was seen during the Trump Campaign,where he attacked everyone and everything. The Office of the President requires dignity and Character in manner of public and social decorum, it requires integrity and none of such things has been seen nor is a part of the Trump Presidency.

It was already clear that high security communication is handled on high security systems, and General's in the field testified before congress to that very fact.

I saw the "never a woman" mentality that was being promoted by every conceivable covert spin, but its intent was overtly visible. Segments of America fear smart independent and outspoken women, as much as they fear smart independent and outspoken blacks. It's been in America's make up for 100's of years.

The negativity about Clinton rose up during the Bill Clinton's Presidency, because America had never seen a Outspoken woman as First Lady speak out to the structure of power as did Hillary, when she pushed for Health Care. She challenged the power structure of the white male dominated Republican Congress and they resented it, they detested it being a woman who spoke to men in power with a stand up, face up manner.

History is important when people learn to understand the fact of how things came to be. Hillary has done more for America in her lifetime than many could or would achieve in their lifetime. For a society that still does not give full respect to women, the negative smear is as unfounded as is gender bias, and racism. But we know both still exist in America.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-29-2018 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

89,019 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
I voted for Hillary, because of her skill and her knowledge. I was not hoodwinked by the Benghazi spin
So... You, too, believe the Embassy in Benghazi was attacked because of a YouTube video? Interesting...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... You, too, believe the Embassy in Benghazi was attacked because of a YouTube video? Interesting...
If you read, it said... "the responsibility for more security, rested in the hands of Republican"... I said not one word about any video ....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies