Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:42 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Too many false “Christians” sects out there who does not understand the meaning of Halloween.

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve, is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.
Even that would be a non-Biblical, pagan holiday. Those Christians aren't being "false," they are being correct (at least on that particular matter). If the Bible does not say you should celebrate a certain holiday, then Christians should not celebrate it. For that reason there are Christians who do not even celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Have you ever considered the possibility that this is a discussion forum where we are able to share our opinions evn if you don't agree with them? Amazing huh?
Then rather than declaring something universally stupid, perhaps you should make it clear that you are expressing an opinion. Or perhaps you should refrain from asking "who cares" because you are obviously aware that others, unlike yourself, DO care.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Again, I've seen no evidence that the community is canceling Beggar's Night, just that the schools are not going to host a Halloween celebration. I think everyone is just looking for a reason to get their knickers in a twist. This is really not a big deal. The kids will still get their opportunity to go trick-or-treating.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Too many false “Christians” sects out there who does not understand the meaning of Halloween.

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of Hallows' Evening), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve, is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.
Your point is very similar to the point I would be trying to make were I to say, "Too many people do not understand the meaning of the word 'gay.' Gay, as used throughout all history of English since the thirteenth century, has meant happily excited or bright in color. Thus it is and so it shall be."

Point being, definitions change. I'd rather they didn't, but they do. Celebrations and holiday significance changes as well. Halloween is now a time for kids to dress up and collect candy, just as Christmas is now a time for people to spend lots of money, exchange gifts, and eat too much.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBX3zqTOqE

Seriously!? By that logic nothing should be celebrated.

The killing of American Culture.
No fun for you!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
You can have your American culture or you can have Diversity communism. I'll choose American culture, don't want diversity, don't like it to begin with.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Many cultures have a version of all souls day. Halloween has Pagan origins from Europe and now in the US. That’s one of the reasons that certain sects of christianity protest Halloween. Fundamentalists started the nonsense about poisoning candy too. There has, in fact, never been a documented case of a person poisoning Halloween candy in the United States. One sick guy poisoned his own children and tried to blame it on the candy. Americans didn’t let a small group of people stop Halloween in the past and we shouldn’t let a different small group of people stop it now.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The killing of American Culture.
No fun for you!
You're being ridiculous. The elementary school in my neighborhood doesn't officially celebrate Halloween either, but come sundown my street will be overrun with youngsters in costume going trick-or-treating. Since when are schools the arbiters of community holidays?

Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Many cultures have a version of all souls day. Halloween has Pagan origins from Europe and now in the US. That’s one of the reasons that certain sects of christianity protest Halloween. Fundamentalists started the nonsense about poisoning candy too. There has, in fact, never been a documented case of a person poisoning Halloween candy in the United States. One sick guy poisoned his own children and tried to blame it on the candy. Americans didn’t let a small group of people stop Halloween in the past and we shouldn’t let a different small group of people stop it now.
I agree the fundamentalist were a small group as I never encountered that among all the Christian people I have come across. But are the"diversity" merchants a small group? They seem to be running almost everything now, the schools, corporations, most of the government and policy and are now the majority.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You're being ridiculous. The elementary school in my neighborhood doesn't officially celebrate Halloween either, but come sundown my street will be overrun with youngsters in costume going trick-or-treating. Since when are schools the arbiters of community holidays?
Why do you keep downplaying the government and public schools erasing our culture for "diversity". My property taxes goes to public schools and they erase my culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies