Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep, nonsensical OP not to mention deplorable, basically placing the blame anywhere other than in the perpetrator.
How is he putting blame to the synagogue?
He's stating a matter of fact. A gunman tried this in the past and found armed deterrence present on site, and did not follow through with his heinous actions, until he found one that did not have an armed deterrence present.

That isn't victim blaming. That's stating a matter of fact.

Victim blaming would be more along the lines of
"Its their fault they didn't have guards present."
Or more outrageous
"Their fault for not being Christian or Atheist or etc etc."

Why do you suffer from making arguments based on false equivalencies and conflation as well as purposely being obtuse yourself?

OP asked an honest question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How many of those people in Pittsburgh would be alive today if there had been guards?
How is this victim blaming?
Oh and he did focus on the perpetrator. First sentence.
Quote:
President Trump remarked recently that when another Jew-hating slimeball killed 11 in a synagogue in Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I recall hearing right-wing pundit, and devout Jew, Ben Shapiro saying that the synagogue he attends has taken steps to ensure that there is always armed security present.

IDK, experts say that adding more guns just adds to the violence. The obvious answer here is to re-instate Bill Clinton's assault style weapons ban of 1994, which was allowed to expire by Republicans in 2004.
There are more guns than ever, yet violent crime is at recent historic lows.

Despite the name, the assault weapon ban did not ban assault weapons, you could buy them then just the same as now.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
President Trump remarked recently that when another Jew-hating slimeball killed 11 in a synagogue in Pittsburgh, there would likely have been fewer (or no) casualties if the synagogue had had armed guards.

Recent history from 1999 bears out what he said, despite screeches from the usual leftists. A demented man drove to one Jewish institution after another, looking for Jews to murder. At the first three, he found the places had armed guards, so he didn't stop, but drove away without harming anyone. Then he finally came to one that did not have armed guards. He stopped, got out, walked in, and shot five people.

How many of those people in Pittsburgh would be alive today if there had been guards?

Yes, it's sad that we seem to need armed guards in some places to safeguard our families, friends etc.

Does anybody have a better idea? One that works as well as this one did in Los Angeles in 1999?

------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...enter_shooting

Los Angeles Jewish Community Center shooting

The 1999 Los Angeles Jewish Community Center shooting occurred on August 10, 1999, at around 10:50 a.m. PT, when white supremacist Buford O. Furrow, Jr. walked into the lobby of the North Valley Jewish Community Center in Granada Hills and opened fire with a semi-automatic weapon, firing 70 shots into the complex. The gunfire wounded five people: three children, a teenage counselor, and an office worker. Shortly thereafter, Furrow murdered a mail carrier, fled the state, and finally surrendered to authorities.
(snip)
On August 7, Furrow bought a used red Chevrolet van in Tacoma, Washington and loaded it with five rifles, two pistols, 6,000 rounds of ammunition and a flak jacket. Furrow considered attacking three Jewish institutions: the Skirball Cultural Center, the American Jewish University and the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Museum of Tolerance, but security measures presented too much of a problem.
Just think if they had exercised their right to individual self preservation, as out lined in the Bill of Rights?

Old 10-28-2018, 04:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"Trump repealed an initiative last February that would have made it harder for people with mental illness to buy a gun."
Donald Trump Revoked Obama-Era Gun Checks For Mentally Ill Law | Fortune
You must be adjudicated in a court of law mentally defective.
Not arbitrarily by social security.
That pesky thing called - Due Process. When the ACLU says Obama is wrong, Trump was right, the ACLU! Agreeing with NRA and Trump... that's saying something.

Quote:
You claim that liberals are the reason republicans are unable to stop mass shootings. What republican proposed laws to stop mass shootings were stopped by liberals?
Ted Cruz had a bill get rejected that would have prevented the Texas church shooting. It was rejected.

Quote:
What laws have republicans tried to pass that stop the incentive, motive, and intent of mass murderers?
None because republicans aren't the same as democrats. I'll give credit where credit is due. Liberals vote lock step with each other. Republicans get into purse swinging matches because there's 3 factions of Republicans.
Conservatives
Rinos
Neo cons.

Rinos vote with liberals, especially on firearms.
Republicans tend to be independent thinkers in nature, not collectivist. So there's in house fighting.

Quote:
Those who control congress and the White House write the laws. And Trump has had a republican congress for 2 years, what laws have republicans passed to stop mass shootings?

Or have Trump and republicans done nothing to stop mass shootings? (and instead only verbally blame liberals when mass shooting happen.)
None. Liberals bring forward anti gun bills and they spend their time fighting against anti gun bills. And if they proposed a measure a proactive measure to counter/prevent mass shootings liberals would vehemently oppose it since it does not fit their agenda of banning firearms. Never mind trying to get the chit heeled rino on board.

Want my full proposal? The same I went to my sheriff and Congressman with 2 weeks prior to Parkland? Can even start your own thread copy and paste it and get a poll of in favor and against to further prove my point for me. If it doesn't involve banning firearms then it won't gain support.

Quote:
Trump and republicans could easily pass laws involving things like putting armed guards in high risk locations (but they are too busy passing corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation.)
I'll ask and expect an honest answer.
Why is it you believe only the governments responsibility is to ensure your safety and well being at all times? Why are you or anyone else, under the impression that .gov is the magnificent end all be all and responsible for your safety and well being?
Numerous times its been proven police, no fault of their own can not be everywhere at every time.
So why do people willingly oppose meaningful propositions which will work?
Why does it have to be only the government? What is the mental block that prevents the people from being in charge of their safety and well being?
Is it complacency? Naivety?
Much of what I propose lifts regulations and legislation that prevents you the individual from doing anything about it or anyone else doing anything to prevent it.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Maybe people that have beliefs that support aggressive actions that harm their fellow Americans shouldn't congregate in the same place....makes a somewhat easy target.

This is not directed at any specific group, btw. Its ANY group.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Trump was right again. What a shock.
Based on your logic, every religious institution would have armed guards similar to this.

TIMELINE: 20 minutes of terror gripped Squirrel Hill during synagogue attack | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
trump is a POS. People were murdered & that garbage pile spins it to blame it on the victims. What a disgusting deplorable. I look forward to the horrible karma coming his way.
TRANSLATION: I hate Trump, I hate Trump, I hate Trump. I'm not interested in participating in the discussion of the thread topic. I hate Trump.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:50 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
TRANSLATION: I hate Trump, I hate Trump, I hate Trump. I'm not interested in participating in the discussion of the thread topic. I hate Trump.
Trump just has a way with words, best not to make claims that this was preventable. That's objective criticism not hatred.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How is he putting blame to the synagogue?
He's stating a matter of fact. A gunman tried this in the past and found armed deterrence present on site, and did not follow through with his heinous actions, until he found one that did not have an armed deterrence present.

That isn't victim blaming. That's stating a matter of fact.

Victim blaming would be more along the lines of
"Its their fault they didn't have guards present."
Or more outrageous
"Their fault for not being Christian or Atheist or etc etc."

Why do you suffer from making arguments based on false equivalencies and conflation as well as purposely being obtuse yourself?
It's all they have.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
IDK, experts say that adding more guns just adds to the violence.
Name one "expert" that says that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies