Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

I don't see this as racist, just a woman acting poorly in public and harassing others (assuming there isn't something that didnt get video'ed that prompted the exchange). I wouldn't want this woman working for me unless she had some talent that was hard to replace and expect that the apt. complex isn't too happy with the notoriety either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
If you're a minority you don't even have to be impaired to insult white people, it's accepted either way. Where are those videos? lol.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:45 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The problem was with the other things that she said. Not saying "I'm white".
Where is the "racist" stuff though?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
"The woman who was filmed yelling at a black neighbor in south Charlotte has been fired from her job at Spectrum, the company confirmed Sunday.

As the videos went viral, the woman was quickly identified online as Susan Westwood. A screenshot from a LinkedIn page, which had apparently been deleted by Sunday afternoon, showed that she worked for Spectrum Enterprise in the Charlotte area.

In response to a question from the Observer about whether Westwood was still employed, a spokesperson for Charter Communications — which bought Time Warner Cable in 2016 and changed the cable company’s name to Spectrum — specifically referenced the videos filmed in a Charlotte parking lot.

“The incident recorded in Charlotte is a blatant violation of Charter’s code of conduct and clearly disregards the company’s commitment to inclusion and respectful behavior,” spokesperson Patrick Paterno wrote. “As such, Ms. Westwood’s employment with the company has been terminated, effective immediately.”

Westwood could not be reached by phone over the weekend.

In the video, she apparently engages two African-American women without provocation, asking them if they live in the nearby apartment complex and cursing at them.

“I’m hot, I’m beautiful, I’m white,” the woman says in the video. “This is Myers Park, SouthPark. What are you doing here?”

The African-American women repeatedly asked her to leave them alone and told her she was harassing them, according to the video. They said they were waiting for AAA to help with car trouble in the parking lot, and eventually they called 911.

The incident took place at the Camden Fairview apartment complex on Oct. 19, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police incident report. According to the report, one of the African-American women lives at Camden Fairview.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police refused to identify Westwood by name over the weekend."

The video is crazy.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...220768890.html

The longer version of the video is better but I can't find it right now.

Hall monitor mentality. I am always amazed at those who feel the need/desire to intrude and intervene in other people's business. Live and let live.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hall monitor mentality. I am always amazed at those who feel the need/desire to intrude and intervene in other people's business. Live and let live.
Thank you. In theory, it SHOULD be that simple.

But you've got these people out there who feel like they're entitled to question private citizens and demand answers.

And you'll notice an unfortunate but clear pattern that most of these people who end up on the wrong end of a viral video, who are bullying, questioning, and demanding information from total strangers -- are mostly young and middle-aged white people.

CAN YOU IMAGINE the outrage from the right if that situation from a few weeks ago were reversed, where that white woman tried to block the younger black guy from entering his own home? What if a young black man was being aggressive and physically blocking a white woman from entering her apartment building, demanding she show information to him?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Where is the "racist" stuff though?
Wow. Unbelievable you cannot see that.

Telling people they don't "belong" somewhere, asking how much rent they pay, threatening to shoot them with a gun because you think they are a threat when they're not. You can't see the racism here? Wow.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:22 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
The video doesn't show what started the altercation in the first place, but this woman sounds drunk and seems to believe that she has the authority to question this black woman as to her reason for being in the area, how much she pays for rent, as if she has any right. What an idiot!
I don't believe that people should be fired for what they do in their private life, but if it is private, no one knows about it, right? This was videoed and made public and honestly, I don't blame any business for not wanting someone like this woman working for them.

Lesson----Don't drink and speak. It could cost you your job.
Anyone who gets staggering drunk is already an idiot without even opening their mouth to say anything. What we saw is what people see all across this country every weekend. This is not the first time someone was drunk and said stupid things to other people.

Why do people feel the need to whip out their cell phone for any reason, no matter how petty, to record. Before the obsession with phones, people handled this the way the one lady can be heard saying in the video: You didn't even entertain drunks with any type of conversation. They are drunk. You can't reason with them, you're wasting your time, and you end up looking just as dumb.

Yes, she acted stupid, and because it did make it's way into the public, the company has the right to fire her. I don't find joy in that, and it is very telling which posters are "glad" that she lost her job. Says so much about them.

The person who recorded this is also an idiot. Could have used that phone to contact the police and tell them that a drunk person was harassing them, instead of spending who knows how long continuing a confrontation. She's holding a phone in her hand and tells someone else to call the police. Is she unaware that her device can do the same thing?

If you ignore a drunk, they wander off. Is there any reason that the 2 ladies couldn't get into their car and shut the doors and avoid the entire thing?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Wow. Unbelievable you cannot see that.

Telling people they don't "belong" somewhere, asking how much rent they pay, threatening to shoot them with a gun because you think they are a threat when they're not. You can't see the racism here? Wow.
i can't see it either.

you may want to consult a dictionary. look under 'R'.

being a drunken ******* is not always 'racism'

Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
That's up to her employer to decide, not anyone else.
Lol, she says she is going to make $125,000.

Not anymore you aren't.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Anyone who gets staggering drunk is already an idiot without even opening their mouth to say anything. What we saw is what people see all across this country every weekend. This is not the first time someone was drunk and said stupid things to other people.

Why do people feel the need to whip out their cell phone for any reason, no matter how petty, to record. Before the obsession with phones, people handled this the way the one lady can be heard saying in the video: You didn't even entertain drunks with any type of conversation. They are drunk. You can't reason with them, you're wasting your time, and you end up looking just as dumb.

Yes, she acted stupid, and because it did make it's way into the public, the company has the right to fire her. I don't find joy in that, and it is very telling which posters are "glad" that she lost her job. Says so much about them.

The person who recorded this is also an idiot. Could have used that phone to contact the police and tell them that a drunk person was harassing them, instead of spending who knows how long continuing a confrontation. She's holding a phone in her hand and tells someone else to call the police. Is she unaware that her device can do the same thing?

If you ignore a drunk, they wander off. Is there any reason that the 2 ladies couldn't get into their car and shut the doors and avoid the entire thing?
There were 2 of them. One recorded, the other called the police.

Black people record because without the tape, it's your word against theirs and the likelihood is we won't be believed without proof. That woman could say they did anything, and they would have no recourse. This way the cops show up, you can play them the video and no one can claim you threathened them or whatever they feel like saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies