Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,326,685 times

Advertisements

CNN doesn't seem to be covering the story so most of the people here probably didn't hear about it. It's difficult to push their anti 2nd amendment agenda with this kind of story.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37734...-prestigiacomo
Quote:
The quick-reacting father, who likely saved numerous lives, will not be facing charges, indicate authorities.

Markus Washington, an employee at the McDonald's restaurant, told WBRC-TV he was "feeling grateful."

"Wrapping my head around it all, I was just wishing someone would come wake me up from this nightmare," he said.

"He's my hero," added the employee. "Because I can only imagine how it would've went if he wasn't armed. We might not be here having this interview."

That's a hero, not someone wearing a ***** hat screaming at the sky.

Though it is difficult to quantify how many innocent lives have been saved by a "good guy with a gun," Paul Hsieh, the co-founder of Freedom and Individual Rights in Medicine (FIRM), writing at Forbes notes that a study ordered by the openly pro-gun control Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found "defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence."

Moreover, Hsieh highlights, "Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008."

Similarly, a different study found there to be well over one million instances of defensive gun uses annually:

Another study estimates there are 1,029,615 DGUs per year “for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere” excluding “military service, police work, or work as a security guard,” (within the range of the National Academies’ paper), yielding an estimate of 162,000 cases per year where someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.”

"[E]ffective defensive gun use need not ever lead the perpetrator to be wounded or killed," explains the National Research Council. "Rather, to assess the benefits of self-defense, one needs to measure crime and injury averted. The particular outcome of an offender is of little relevance."

"It's relatively easy to measure the number of lives lost due to criminal gun violence. It’s harder to measure the number of lives saved by legal defensive gun use. Murders that didn’t happen don’t show up on crime statistics," notes Hsieh.
yielding an estimate of 162,000 cases per year where someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.” That's over 16 times as many lives saved as lost by criminal use of firearms. 162,000 lives the left has no problem sacrificing to push their anti gun agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 PM

56,861 posts, read 25,799,606 times
That settles it we need guns everywhere especially McDonalds!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 PM

39,805 posts, read 26,295,885 times
We had another case in my area just last night. Homeowners defeated a home invader. He assumed ambient temperature. I do love a story with a happy ending.

https://www.kxly.com/news/post-falls...HZTYFgzC-sgpuM

Happens far more often than the MSM is willing to mention.

BTW, has CNN picked up the McDonald's story yet?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,279,149 times
I think we should petition C-D to have a sub-forum on P&OC titled Armed Citizen Stops Shooter.

Given the frequency this kind of thing happens in America, I'm certain it will become one if the most populated, most visited sub-sections on City-Data.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:18 PM

1,406 posts, read 790,843 times
Or as MSM will report it, "Man guns down disorderly bystander in front of his own children"

Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,373,432 times
The article said:
Quote:
"It's relatively easy to measure the number of lives lost due to criminal gun violence. It’s harder to measure the number of lives saved by legal defensive gun use. Murders that didn’t happen don’t show up on crime statistics," notes Hsieh.
This is almost a poetic statement. If I met this dad, I would buy him a beer even though I hardly drink.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,824,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
CNN doesn't seem to be covering the story so most of the people here probably didn't hear about it. It's difficult to push their anti 2nd amendment agenda with this kind of story.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37734...-prestigiacomo

yielding an estimate of 162,000 cases per year where someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.” That's over 16 times as many lives saved as lost by criminal use of firearms. 162,000 lives the left has no problem sacrificing to push their anti gun agenda.
That's okay -- they didn't cover the old guy with all the guns that killed two officers here in South Carolina either.

Funny how that works -- they don't seem to cover local crimes much......

Old 10-29-2018, 11:05 PM

54,476 posts, read 33,767,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I think we should petition C-D to have a sub-forum on P&OC titled Armed Citizen Stops Shooter.

Given the frequency this kind of thing happens in America, I'm certain it will become one if the most populated, most visited sub-sections on City-Data.
Not a bad idea, but in the meantime, you can check out the NRA's Armed Citizen.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen

Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 PM

54,476 posts, read 33,767,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We had another case in my area just last night. Homeowners defeated a home invader. He assumed ambient temperature. I do love a story with a happy ending.

https://www.kxly.com/news/post-falls...HZTYFgzC-sgpuM

Happens far more often than the MSM is willing to mention.

BTW, has CNN picked up the McDonald's story yet?
I doubt it, they'll only jump on stories that involve mentally disturbed individuals shooting up a school, or when this teen that survived the Parkland, Florida school shooting this past February goes on a political tirade to blame all decent gun owners for what happened, he'll get plenty of coverage on CNN.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:48 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,767,487 times
Another instance where an AR-15 was not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies