Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:21 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Not really. The artists voluntarily allow performing rights organizations like ASCAP and BMI to collect royalties for them under blanket agreements with venues. Whatever venue the FFA convention was in almost certainly had licenses with these organizations, and therefore had every legal right to use the song. The letter to the president is a political stunt, as the song licensing issue has nothing to do with a speaker at the licensed venue.

But...but...but... It HAD to be trump's idea to use the song! It simply HAD to be!
How can one blame the Entertainment Director of the venue for using it? It had to be TRUMP!

TDS at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 06:24 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
If I was him, I wouldn’t want that jackass using my music at a public event, either.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,424,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Not really. The artists voluntarily allow performing rights organizations like ASCAP and BMI to collect royalties for them under blanket agreements with venues. Whatever venue the FFA convention was in almost certainly had licenses with these organizations, and therefore had every legal right to use the song. The letter to the president is a political stunt, as the song licensing issue has nothing to do with a speaker at the licensed venue.
Exactly this. Hilarious the Leftists saying everyone doesn't know how it works are the ones who don't know how it works. PLUS, many times the artists don't even own the final product of their music, the record company does and they can license it to whoever they want to then pay the artists fees for royalties.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,176,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Why are you and I surprised that an idiot, like Trump, would play a song like that after such a national tragedy ? The man has no brains and zero class. After all, he didn't die, so he only cares about his sorry butt.

And, to the OP, YES, an artist DOES have the legal ownership of their songs and the right to not only be paid, but to determine where it is used. If Chrysler runs a TV spot, and uses his song, they will pay for it and need permission.
That may be -- but it shouldn't..... If the Trump campaign buys a Williams CD and decides to pump up the volume at a campaign rally - Williams should have no control over it.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That may be -- but it shouldn't..... If the Trump campaign buys a Williams CD and decides to pump up the volume at a campaign rally - Williams should have no control over it.
That’s not how it works.

Trump can play it on Air Force One all he likes. Using it during a rally is public use, not personal.

If musicians had no rights, TV shows and movies could just grab any music they wanted. They cannot.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,424,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That’s not how it works.

Trump can play it on Air Force one all he likes. Using it during a rally is public use, not personal.
Correct, but if the venue had paid for the usage of it along with thousands of other songs, there is no case and it can be used at the will of the venue.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Correct, but if the venue had paid for the usage of it along with thousands of other songs, there is no case and it can be used at the will of the venue.
Depends on the contract, but if they had unlimited rights, you are correct.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Well, Pharrell should know, he just paid out 7.5 million to Marvin Gaye’s family for unauthorized use of a song aka stealing.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:51 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,929,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Depends on the contract, but if they had unlimited rights, you are correct.

In either case, Williams and his lawyers would know their complaint is with the venue not Trump.

Looks like this political stunt was more about virtue signalling than anything else.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:56 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,095,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Why anyone would want to use any music of Pharrell Williams is beyond me in the first place.

I will agree that maybe that wasn't the song to play on such as day as this. It isn't President Trump who decides and chooses the songs for his rallies though.

Is this something that you heard him say or something that you heard fake news say?

I missed the video of that rally but will watch it to see if what is being said is true.

There is no more caring person about all humans than President Trump.
As for the little bit that I have heard so far, he made a very heartfelt speech concerning the shooting at the beginning of the rally.

Lefties are going to really struggle to make President Trump out to not care about Jews. They are looking like fools trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies