Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 02:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
How do you know your classmates were not lawful immigrants or US citizens? Did you know where they were all born? Had you scrutinized all of their immigration papers? Or had you merely heard them speaking Spanish.

Who exactly do you think are outsiders to the US? The descendants of British, Spanish, and French colonists who came in the 17th century? The descendants of African slaves who were brought in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries? The descendants of Chinese immigrants who came in the 19th century? The descendants of Scandinavian, Irish, and Italian immigrants who came in the 19th and 20th centuries? The descendants of Mexicans whose land was annexed by the United States in the 19th century? The descendants of French colonists whose land was bought by the United States in the 19th century? The descendants of myriad people who immigrated in the 20th century from around the world for work and education?

The only people who are not outsiders to this land are the descendants of the natives, who lived here for millennia before European colonists showed up.

A lot of them was fresh off the boat. Lived 20 in a house, (very respectable people though clean wise) they would always pick up after themselves etc, even would admit was illegals. I still hated their guts though.

Cubans was the worst though, granted they become legal when they touch land. they **** me off the most, a lot of their family goes back once they get benefits here and keep them for life.

Where I live now we had a food place that half the people was illegals (I know because friend worked there) and told me the people who wasn't legal, she dated one of them even. Last year I called ICE on the establishment, within 4 months the entire place was shut down and people was arrested. Two people was using fake identities of dead people, owned a home had a kid etc. I reported them single handedly, not sure what happened to those two. Its so wrong to use other peoples info though. Scum.

A lot are gautamalon, etc. Still, invading.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:23 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
A lot of them was fresh off the boat. Lived 20 in a house, (very respectable people though clean wise) they would always pick up after themselves etc, even would admit was illegals. I still hated their guts though.

Cubans was the worst though, granted they become legal when they touch land. they **** me off the most, a lot of their family goes back once they get benefits here and keep them for life.

Where I live now we had a food place that half the people was illegals (I know because friend worked there) and told me the people who wasn't legal, she dated one of them even. Last year I called ICE on the establishment, within 4 months the entire place was shut down and people was arrested. Two people was using fake identities of dead people, owned a home had a kid etc. I reported them single handedly, not sure what happened to those two. Its so wrong to use other peoples info though. Scum.

A lot are gautamalon, etc. Still, invading.

So you're saying that the "worst" are the lawful US residents/citizens of Cuban descent? And that is somehow a reason to terminate birthright citizenship.

And your pair of anecdotes is supposed to amount to evidence that half of your class was not lawfully immigrated to the United States? 15% of Key Largo is foreign born.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's not unconstitutional. Lengthy explanation including legal history and current US Nationality Law, in this post:

Post #83: Legal History of the 14th Amendment, and current US Nationality Law
Not what I meant. I totally understand the 14th and the history of it.

I meant "isn't it a tad unConstitutional to try to modify the Constitution via EO?"

Which, yes... it is.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I meant "isn't it a tad unConstitutional to try to modify the Constitution via EO?"

Which, yes... it is.
It was quite clear what you meant. The person who quoted you is being obtuse on purpose and attempting to twist your words.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Restoring the 14th Amendment to its original intent isn't "modifying it." You get that, right?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM

431 posts, read 257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Congress will never address it. Democrats won't allow it. Democrats got a lot of things made law by the Supreme Court that the legislator wouldn't enact, abortion, gay marriage, DACA etc, so it's high time republicans did.
That is an issue; this is not a matter of few individuals cheating the system, this is a systematic abuse by people of illegal immigration status taking advantage of our own laws to leverage the betterment of their family by bypassing what most others had to earn. There are countless of U.S citizens and residents that don't qualify for Medicaid or food stamps because they earn just a little bit too much. However, since undocumented immigrants don't have a social security numbers and don't have verifiable income, they will apply for their kids and they will qualify. Therefore receiving free services.

This simply allows for way to much political spin; racist because most illegals are Hispanic, insensitive to the need of children and pregnant mothers, the " that's not what America is about" argument. My understanding is that healthcare is expensive, and many of these people are getting it for free because of the abuse of this law.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Combine this with mandatory everify and fines for employers and you will eliminate most of the reasons illegals want to come here. This is in the potential illegals best interest really, prevents them from risking theirs and their kids lives on those dangerous journeys and they also won't be treated like sub humans here.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
My wife was born on the border many years ago and it used to be common for Mexican women to come to the US to have their babies.
Although I have never been very fond of the automatic citizenship ruling, it is law and and amendment that has long been interpreted by the Supreme Court as to it's meaning.
No, Trump cannot change it with an EO. This from a guy that said previous Presidents abused the EO privilege? That man is a spoiled brat, at best.
Speaker of the House, from his own party states Trump is wrong and yet Trump says "Ryan knows nothing about birth rights"?. Sounds like Ryan has more of an understanding of the laws/Constitution than Trump does. Then again Trump has a history of bullying his way through things with lawyers and lawsuits.
Perhaps Trump's intent here is to challenge the 14th again and put it before the Supreme Court to see if his recent appointment can be interpreted once again in his favor?

Old 10-31-2018, 02:38 PM

24,622 posts, read 9,449,501 times
We can have birthright citizenship when all the other cool countries like Germany, Japan, and Norway have it.

Until then, you should gain naturalization the moral way like everyone else.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:40 PM

24,622 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Getting rid of birthright citizenship was long overdue

Anchor babies and birth tourism is putting a strain on the welfare resources for America’s underclass now that everyone in that demographic is getting so much fatter. Which means more taxpayer funded trips to the ER.

If America believes it’s a prestigious country (exceptionalism), this is the next logical step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies