Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So, those that support this...do you like the precedent that some future president could come along and sign an EO proclaiming that the 2nd amendment only applies if you register to join a militia?
You make a good point.

I have no issue with ending Birthright citizenship. Doing so by EO is a political stunt.

Announcing the now, right before the midterms is curious. The EO avoids Congress and the courts.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The only problem though if the supreme court rules against the EO ending anchor baby citizenship, then it that will most likely mean it will take a constitutional amendment of the 14th Amendment which Democrats will never allow happen.

That said, there's nothing to lose issuing the EO because otherwise it is being presumed that birthright citizenship for illegal aliens' babies is required.

SO PRESIDENT TRUMP ENACT THE EO NOW.
Translation: I don't like Constitutional norms when they conflict with my personal beliefs, so lets ignore them!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Translation: I don't like Constitutional norms when they conflict with my personal beliefs, so lets ignore them!
Isn't that the whole criticism of Democrats from conservatives/Constitutionalists?

It does seem hypocrisy reigns supreme once again.

Are any of you lawyers?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Paul Ryan says Trump can't do it.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Even permanent legal residents' children weren't intended to get citizenship through birth since they are foreigners and legal aliens, but the Court ruled for in favor of Ark against the Executive. Illegal aliens aren't just foreigners and aliens but illegal. Between 1880 and 1924 well after the 14th amendment, the class of legal and illegal alien was established.

Illegal aliens and their children are subjects of the jurisdiction of their country of origin. "Subject" also means "citizen". The 14th amendment did not include US Indians who were not foreign or alien let alone illegal because they were considered subjects/citizens of their Indian nation but were still "subject" to some degree of US jurisdiction. Blacks were not subjects of any other jurisdiction, while illegal aliens are.
Come on. You think "subject to the jurisdiction" means "citizen"? 3rd grade teachers everywhere are weeping upon hearing this nonsense.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I will prove to you he does not follow through

ACA killed first day in office how did that work out??

Special prosecutor to go after Hilary still no word on this

Mexico is still not paying for the wall that 70% of Americans do not want

Where is the amazing health care plan for all

What about lower drug prices??

Trump could sell a Yugo like it is a $100k car and his sheep would believe it 500% they fall for all his other B S

All things you oppose, right? So can Trump count on your vote next week since he has not done any of the things you didn't want him to do?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Isn't that the whole criticism of Democrats from conservatives/Constitutionalists?

It does seem hypocrisy reigns supreme once again.

Are any of you lawyers?
I am, which is perhaps why I am acutely concerned with the usurpation of Constitutional norms and requirements to reach short-term political goals.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:07 PM

89,022 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
uh uh...if that were true, that non citizens don't fall under the jurisdiction of the US, then we couldn't write traffic tickets to drivers from Brazil or France or any other Country.
Not true. Native Americans were under the jurisdiction of Federal Laws, Federal prosecution, and Federal Courts in the late 1800s, but weren't granted birthright US citizenship until Congress passed a Federal Law in 1924 granting them such , more than 50 years AFTER the 14th Amendment was ratified. No such birthright exception was ever granted to any other foreign sovereign/national/citizen group.

Quote:
The Supreme Court would not find in Trumps favor on this one, I can guarantee you that.
I disagree. Plenty of historic and legal precedent. Trump is just returning the 14th to its original intent and enforcement.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Do your homework and read the whole discussion - like where Senator Howard later agreed with the other Senators that the language "subject to the jurisdiction" meant anyone who resided in US territory and governed by US law and enforced by US Courts.
And what exactly do you think this means?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If that's what Harris honestly intended, not to include children of people visiting legally or illegally, then he should have put that clause in there, especially since he obviously knew it was a bone of contention at the time.

How remiss is that? Gads.

Unbelievably sloppy.
There was no real class of illegal entries at the time in 1868. There were just foreigners and aliens and independent Indians who were not citizens or naturalized and were not subject to the jurisdiction of the US. Only blacks and whites could even be naturalized in 1868. Noncitizen visitors and illegal aliens are subject to the jurisdiction of their nation of citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies