Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is just it. The anti gun people, and those that don't have a clue (one and the same I suppose) don't expect you to protect yourself. That is what the police are for. And remember, statistics show you are more than likely to die by your own firearm ...
It's odd. The guns in polling places thread, a poster says three armed bad guys come in and it's pop pop pop you're done.

Did they pass that memo on to (providing one is present) the sheriff's deputy or local PD officer posted outside of the polling place and discourage the officer from showing up armed like they suggest to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Again, you make good points. The difference between guns and all the other causes is that guns are designed to kill. The others can accidentally kill. It would not be practical to make everything a class C felony, but we can do it in this one case where an implement is specifically designed to kill.

Virtually every other advanced country on the planet has taken similar steps. In Australia police now conduct random inspections of the homes of gun owners. We're not talking going that far. These are moderate, common sense proposals in Initiative 1639.
" The difference between guns and all the other causes is that guns are designed to kill."

Again you are making a claim and are IGNORANT on the subject.

SOME guns are MADE EXCESSIVELY for SPORT SHOOTING.

SOME guns do NOT fire at all.

"Virtually every other advanced country on the planet has taken similar steps."

Another statement often made.

Name 1 of these countries that have anything like our 2nd amendment AKIN TO OURS.

"In Australia police now conduct random inspections of the homes of gun owners."

Lets look at other countries where a search warrant is NOT needed.

Australia's gun crime rate is going UP.

ILLEGAL semi-autos are being smuggled in and as the Chief of Police sai, BECAUSE THE CRIMINALS know the populous are NOT armed.

I could go on and on about what OTHER countries do NOT have that we do, so it apples to oranges.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 AM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Trust me, this is the first major step towards a California styled gun ban for the State of Washington. Btw, to the best of my knowledge, criminals in California love all the restrictive gun laws in that State... Since it doesn't affect them at all since they're criminals!! And it makes their jobs easier since they know the odds of their victims being armed is very low and they have the full AND complete upper hand.

Just more "moderate" and "common sense" catch words for a nationwide gun ban... The Left's "dog whistle" words for a total gun ban for all the low information voters not only in the State of Washington, but for the entire country.

Most, if not all, Far Left people know ZERO about firearms or how criminal really think or operate, but simply are scared people who think that they can talk a harden criminal out doing them and their loved ones harm. They also think that the police will be available to be their personal bodyguards 24/7, but will be shocked to learn that 3-5 minutes is a very long time when your wife or daughter is being raped or when you're being murdered.

I'm a retired U.S. Army Combat Arms Senior NCO and now a law enforcement officer, so I know a few things about firearms and criminals. It seriously sucks when the uninformed are allowed to speak, with the full support of the media and local/national Left leaning political figures, for the average working man and woman... Sad. Simply sad.

Again, it's time to move to a more common sense State because it's only going to get worse in the once great State of Washington... This new law goes against the State's Constitution, but it will be upheld in the State's court since the courts are seriously Left leaning and supported the the State's Attorney General.
Let the leftist extremists try. We in CA and other states chalk full of radical left extremists are way ahead of the curve when it comes to the attempts of the far left. We have a "assault weapons" ban but with all the work around scenarios I can still buy and own anything I can.

That new law won't do crap to stop anyone from buying or owning any weapon they want to.turners.com/info/weekly-ad

But, it is fun watching them squirm after seeing nothing new is going on in the world of firearms

Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I've said time and time again there are 3 maybe 4 things that need adressing.
Motive
incentive
Intent
Possible enabling outliers.

Motive, what motivates murderous ideation? It is my honest belief that the media plays a part in this by publishing the weapons and tactics used, and going on for days giving the scumbag attention. Instead of condemning it by calling the shooter a scumbag, their name circulates.
Incentive. Gun free zones offer alot of incentive which is why I endorse everyone to acknowledge and accept they have the right to keep and bear arms and to gain their concealed carry permit. There is nothing morally wrong with self defense, defense of one's family/loved ones, community, and property. The moment the public says we've had enough of when seconds matter help is minutes away, and starts putting the scumbags down themselves, and it becomes published with headlines reading
"Attempted shooter" or "would be shooter" I promise the heinous will be the ones whining and crying for gun control.
Intent. Again, the heinous and homicidal won't be as intent to go commit heinous acts knowing their objective will be met with extreme prejudice and lethal force. Our hyperbolic resident liberals here instead will attempt to make excuses with dramatic what ifs.
Enabling outliers. In the case of Parkland the enabling outlier was the promise program, an initiative started by the schools Superintendent Runcie, and Sheriff Israel. It was enacted to end the "school to prison pipeline" stating they would no longer arrest children for it would make it more difficult for them to get a job, a college education or join the military. Yet, they didn't acknowledge it also becomes more difficult to acquire a firearm with an arrest record. 33 times in the year leading up to that event police had been dispatched to deal with that little scumbag. Even for slamming his mother into a wall. There were many opportunities to arrest and charge him with crimes, charges that would have prevented him from legally acquiring a firearm. That and they could easily have Baker Acted him.
In the example of Pulse in Orlando, my local gun store reported that scumbag to the FBI. Everyone wanted red flag laws post parkland. How much more of a redflag can you get than being reported directly to the FBI? Why wasn't he placed on a denial list? The moment he would have tried to purchase, his background check would come back with a deny.
Texas church shooters records were not transferred from the airforce to the FBI.
The above two examples show a bureacracy issue.

The calls for gun control do not affect criminals nor those intent on causing harm to society. There is no logical reason to go after the firearm other than to be a tyrant, seeking to use emotional rhetoric to reinforce their agenda in disarming the populace. I didn't buy it when I was a kid. I don't buy it now. I see right through it.

When CDC data shows there are far greater threat to the well being of society than firearms, and especially the liberals and metropolitan minded sacred cow-The Childrunz, you learn to see their arguments are nothing more than emotional tirades.

Posters like Travis won't admit it, even when called out for it. That their arguments lack any logical foundation. Their arguments are incompatible with mine and others because Logic > Emotion every single time.

Is death tragic? Yup.
I've lost 4 friends the night after highschool graduation to a drunk driver.
Didn't see me protesting and calling for common sense car control, common sense alcohol control. On the basis of nobody needs a Ford Excursion capable of destroying a small hatchback and killing 4 in one shot. That would have been feeble. Emotional. Irrational. And nothing positive would have come from it. Instead, I discourage drinking and driving. And ridicule those who do.
But our residential liberals would find fault in that approach. That's mean, you shouldn't do that, you should have gone after the implement, the inanimate object incapable of thought, or action.

Want to protect children from shooting themselves? Teach them at an early age that firearms aren't toys. Teach them the basic fundamentals of firearm safety. Take them shooting at 4 and 5 years old like my father did with me. Take them hunting when they're 8 9 10 years old like my father did with me. When they see at an early age what a firearm is capable of the allure and forbidden fruit approach counteracts what liberals seek to achieve. You learn early on they're not toys, to treat every single one as if it is loaded, do not touch them unless permission is granted, or threaten use of them against another or face a beating, kids won't be compelled by allure/forbidden fruit to "play" with them.

Contrary to the court of liberal public opinion, you can have both firearms and a safer society. They don't think that's possible. They feel it is not possible. Think > feelz.
Great posts and perspectives, thank you....

I think a whole lot of dems know, there isn't anything they can do about it, so the have 2 plans...

1. Being, every time there is a shooting (and again, media falls into this one) use it to take guns away a little at a time. They are never satisfied...so they chip away with more and more laws....and in the end, you will still have mass shootings and murders, b/c like you said, the criminals are certainly not going to hand in the guns...I watched them do it with smoking and they won't stop, until smoking is banned from every where...it's a control addiction....and that is why so many of them burndt out when Trump was elected...they have this obsessive need to control society to their way of thinking. NOT ALL OF THEM but certainly a lot of them. I see it in NJ, in Home Owners Associations, they get so carried away with rules an new laws, its pathetic.

2. No one in their right mind can believe that taking guns away and more gun laws is going to fix the problem, it's strictly a political move. Nothing more. So they pass a law here and there, and yet, nothing ends the violence.

With all the people out there running traffic lights, talking on their phones while driving, etc....that in itself is also breaking the laws, but no one cares....they do it anyway....

Old 11-01-2018, 08:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Dr. Juan Duchesne remembers treating his first gunshot wound -- and his amazement at the particular ways a bullet can devastate the human body.
The teenage patient had been "sprayed" with an assault-style rifle while playing basketball in a New Orleans park, but his exterior wounds were small, and he seemed to be doing okay.
"I said, 'Okay, well, the patient has a pulse, doesn't look bad," Duchesne recalled to a room full of local medical students gathered Sept. 17. "At the end of the week, he lost both legs."

So in HIS mind passing NEW laws and banning a gun will STOP such things from happening.

Let's follow his trend of thought.

People get shot, ban guns.

There are THOUSANDS of MORE people die in CAR CRASHES then with a gun SO, lets ban cars.

MORE people die in swimming pools then with rifles so, let's ban swimming pools.

The question I ask is Are you concerned about deaths or are you MORE concerned about guns?
There is the heart of the problem...swimming pools and cars are not a credible threat to a tyrannical govt...GUNS ARE THOUGH!

Of course a tyrannical govt would make excuses to create tough laws against guns...its for their own protection!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
When those with very sharp teeth and really long claws, want you to file your teeth and clip your claws, be very suspicious!
They will sell it as, it is good for you. You will be safer as sheepe. We will take care of you.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When those with very sharp teeth and really long claws, want you to file your teeth and clip your claws, be very suspicious!
They will sell it as, it is good for you. You will be safer as sheepe. We will take care of you.
The entire gun control movement is not to reduce violence, nor crime. It is purely to disarm the law abiding populace. Who would follow more laws? Criminals? NO. The Insane? NO. You, and me, and other law abiding people. It is pretty obvious if you look beyond "It's for the children" emotional nonsense, and the "If we can just save one life" dreck.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Great posts and perspectives, thank you....

I think a whole lot of dems know, there isn't anything they can do about it, so the have 2 plans...

1. Being, every time there is a shooting (and again, media falls into this one) use it to take guns away a little at a time. They are never satisfied...so they chip away with more and more laws....and in the end, you will still have mass shootings and murders, b/c like you said, the criminals are certainly not going to hand in the guns...I watched them do it with smoking and they won't stop, until smoking is banned from every where...it's a control addiction....and that is why so many of them burndt out when Trump was elected...they have this obsessive need to control society to their way of thinking. NOT ALL OF THEM but certainly a lot of them. I see it in NJ, in Home Owners Associations, they get so carried away with rules an new laws, its pathetic.

2. No one in their right mind can believe that taking guns away and more gun laws is going to fix the problem, it's strictly a political move. Nothing more. So they pass a law here and there, and yet, nothing ends the violence.

With all the people out there running traffic lights, talking on their phones while driving, etc....that in itself is also breaking the laws, but no one cares....they do it anyway....
I grew up in a very old school household.
I was raised with firearms in a wood and glass cabinet. At age 13 on I had access to firearms without adult supervision. I demonstrated obviously safe and responsible handling of a firearm to be trusted to be by myself up in the woods from 13 on. AR 15s? Pfft.
I had 30-06 303 enfield etc. Full powered rifle cartridges and 12 gauge slugs.
Only pistols I was not allowed to handle without my father present.
Obviously I'm still alive.

The same with driving.
My parents owned alot of property. I learned to drive at 9 years old. I was driving on roads with my father present in the vehicle from again age 13 on.

To "get it out of my system" he had me doing burnouts donuts etc on our property and whatever I broke I had to fix. You learn the lesson the hard way when you're having to pay for tires replace universal joints etc.

Again. The trademarked argument of Somebody think of the ChildrunzTM is a feeble one. It tells me more about an individual that has to exploit and turn to using an emotionally based logic on some sacred cow of society for being the reason to support their stance than they realize. I don't feed into it I crush it right off the bat for being irrational irrelevant emotional drivel.

It also tells me about individuals idea of parenting as well.
And it doesn't look good to me if you want to shelter and micromanage a kids life to a T. God forbid they fall off a bicycle and get a scrape oh dear gawd... That would just be horrible. How else do you expect a kid to learn from their mistakes if you don't give them leeway to make mistakes and failures to learn from and become better at something?

Same theory applies to firearms. Immerse them at a young age with something rather than spreading manufactured fear. It creates curiosity and ultimately a Darwin parenting award. So metropolitan soccer moms and dads, helicopter parents pay attention. You're doing nothing beneficial but creating an allure that will wind up with dire consequences. Why do you think my generation is stuck living at home with mom and dad?
They've been coddled to and sheltered. They can't cope.
What? 25% in some study exhibit PTSD after Trump was elected? That's lending credence to my argument and points. A bunch of unable worthless lemmings who've never had to do or think for themselves. Because everything was given to them or sheltered from reality and prepared for a non existent utopia.

Gee who'da thunk it... reap what you sow. You don't do them any justice trying to protect them from themselves. If anything, you hinder them from growing maturing learning and deny them the ability to make rational logical decisions and wise choices from sheltering them from reality and preparing them for a utopia that does not exist. Brain dead useless lazy lemmings is what you get, who have been groomed to problem solve by turning to an adult in the room.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'd like to think that we all agree that guns should be kept out of the hands of children, political party be damned."

Meaning no disrespect but, I WISH people like you would STOP trying to KNOW what others think. You are NOT that smart.

We have filled pages of stories where "children" have been around guns their entire lives.

We have included HUNDREDS of stories where "children" HAVE used a gun for self defense.

I DO agree with your 2nd paragraph. but need clarification on what ages you are talking about.

I don't think a certain age is required.

Some kids at 8 are better able to handle a gun then other kids the same age.

So, to me, it depends on the child, NOT the age.

8 year olds have been known to "defend" their homes.

"8 year old Lucas Armitage has become a national hero after bravely defending his home by shooting a burglar multiple times in the chest and neck."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWo6m5hbG4

"Images for 8 year old defends is home

https://www.google.com/search?q=8+ye...w=1280&bih=664
We had 6 year olds take their first deer, this year.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Liberals operate from fear, and they’ve got an entire routine about people supposedly shooting family members and not being able to stop criminals,
But people who want to take away your rights under the pretense of safety and security are really just laying the groundwork for tyranny.
In the end, the only form of gun control that works is taking aim before pulling the trigger.

This however all boils down to two facts that gun control proponents have not been able to address:

(1) There is a direct relationship between restrictive gun control laws and increased crime. Almost all gun control laws have been statistically proven to be linked to increases in crime.

(2) Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Using a firearm to harm another is already illegal.
Proponents might want to spend more time thinking about the facts, and less time writing about feelings that won't fix the problem.

“Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.”

Quote: James Madison

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies