Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Don't have a gun, don't want one, and if I had a child- wouldn't want them to have one. If you want one- that is your right.
And when they turn 18 they go buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The ignorant part is not teaching children about guns. Most of us in the real world had access to guns and went hunting as children, but we were taught SAFETY FIRST. Most of the kids in my area still have access to guns, but there has been one gun homicide in my county in the last 10 years and no gun accidents. The youth deer hunt In my area just ended with 605 deer taken and no accidents.
You are teaching how to SHOOT guns, not gun safety. Gun safety for children is not touching a gun. Gun safety for parents is locking up their guns so their children cannot get to it.

People who live in big cities or suburbs don't live in your "real world". Ok, kiddies, we are going to get in the car (if they even have a car) and drive 2 or 3 hours to the woods to go hunt? Ranges? Where? Dad, I got a baseball, soccer, etc., game today. I have cheerleading practice today. That is the life of kids in burbs. Besides which, did you ever consider about half the parents in this country don't know "gun safety" (how to shoot) themselves? Oh, what ignorant parents!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:44 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You are teaching how to SHOOT guns, not gun safety. Gun safety for children is not touching a gun. Gun safety for parents is locking up their guns so their children cannot get to it.

People who live in big cities or suburbs don't live in your "real world". Ok, kiddies, we are going to get in the car (if they even have a car) and drive 2 or 3 hours to the woods to go hunt? Ranges? Where? Dad, I got a baseball, soccer, etc., game today. I have cheerleading practice today. That is the life of kids in burbs. Besides which, did you ever consider about half the parents in this country don't know "gun safety" (how to shoot) themselves? Oh, what ignorant parents!
Yes they are ignorant. Some time in their life those "kids" will encounter a gun, and need some instruction on it. If they have none, it can end badly. I bet many of your neighbors have guns and you are just not aware of it. Guns that are locked become "forbidden fruit". The kids will find a way to access them. And we teach "gun safety" When to handle and how to handle one safely.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 AM

118 posts, read 65,999 times
Default May I explain something, please?

First of all, I am a democrat, a liberal. Now, let me clear something up about "Assault rifles." There is a popular rifle, its the Remington model 742 Woods Master, semi automatic hunting rifle that is chambered in equally lethal rounds as the AR15 and its many variants. no one ever uses the Woods Master in mass shootings, because although its also a semi auto, it only holds 5 rounds, which is not conducive to killing many people in a short time. The AR15 holds magazines up to 40 rounds, designed for the specific purpose of doing just that, killing as many people as possible, quickly. If you put both rifles side by side, both with limited capacities of 5 rounds, then the only difference between the two rifles is their appearance. Many people like the looks and hold of the AR platform, and use them for specific kinds of sporting and range use. I would support limiting the magazine capacity rather than banning military style rifles all together, which would serve no real purpose.

There is only one responsible thing to do with your guns when they are not in use,..Lock em up !!!!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
First of all, I am a democrat, a liberal. Now, let me clear something up about "Assault rifles." There is a popular rifle, its the Remington model 742 Woods Master, semi automatic hunting rifle that is chambered in equally lethal rounds as the AR15 and its many variants. no one ever uses the Woods Master in mass shootings, because although its also a semi auto, it only holds 5 rounds, which is not conducive to killing many people in a short time. The AR15 holds magazines up to 40 rounds, designed for the specific purpose of doing just that, killing as many people as possible, quickly. If you put both rifles side by side, both with limited capacities of 5 rounds, then the only difference between the two rifles is their appearance. Many people like the looks and hold of the AR platform, and use them for specific kinds of sporting and range use. I would support limiting the magazine capacity rather than banning military style rifles all together, which would serve no real purpose.

There is only one responsible thing to do with your guns when they are not in use,..Lock em up !!!!
Hard to defend yourself when they are locked up.

My daughter actually had a home invasion a few days ago. Luckily the intruder ran when my grandson encountered him. It took 10 minutes for a police response.

When Obama gave the CDC $10,000,000 to study gun violence

Here are some key findings from the CDC report, “Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,†released in June:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:

2. Defensive uses of guns are common: "...more than 3 million per year…"

3. Mass shootings and accidental firearm deaths account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths, and both are declining:

4. “Interventions†(i.e, gun control) such as background checks, so-called assault rifle bans and gun-free zones produce “mixed†results:

5. Gun buyback/turn-in programs are “ineffective†in reducing crime:

6. Stolen guns and retail/gun show purchases account for very little crime:

7. The vast majority of gun-related deaths are not homicides, but suicides:

Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Ridiculous.....I spent all my teen years hunting. Instead of drinking and partying my buddies and I stalked rabbits and squirrels and sat in deer blinds throughout our high school years. So now nanny staters want to rob young people of this wholesome pastime? I truly despise these people.

Oh the OP used the example of a 16 year old shooting his father as an example of why teens should not have guns. Did the OP not read the part about the dad strangling his mother. He used the gun to prevent his dad from murdering his mother. Completely legitimate use of a firearm. I feel sore for the young man having to do that, what a terrible thing he was forced to do. I have read many stories where young people use a firearm to save themselves or others from violent criminals.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:51 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ridiculous.....I spent all my teen years hunting. Instead of drinking and partying my buddies and I stalked rabbits and squirrels and sat in deer blinds throughout our high school years. So now nanny staters want to rob young people of this wholesome pastime? I truly despise these people.

Oh the OP used the example of a 16 year old shooting his father as an example of why teens should not have guns. Did the OP not read the part about the dad strangling his mother. He used the gun to prevent his dad from murdering his mother. Completely legitimate use of a firearm. I feel sore for the young man having to do that, what a terrible thing he was forced to do. I have read many stories where young people use a firearm to save themselves or others from violent criminals.

"Oh the OP used the example of a 16 year old shooting his father as an example of why teens should not have guns"

I'd BET he is NOT for denying ALL OTHER 16 year olds from getting a drver's license if 1 16 year old killed someone with a car!

Old 11-03-2018, 10:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:

When the tyrants marched on Concord and Lexington, the colonialist would have enjoyed 30 round mags and the redcoats with their muskets.

It would have made it less stressful.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:

Exactly. The AR 15 is designed to kill the most people in the least amount of time. Why would we want to have a weapon like that on the street? They should be in the hands of police and military only.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:43 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes they are ignorant. Some time in their life those "kids" will encounter a gun, and need some instruction on it. If they have none, it can end badly. I bet many of your neighbors have guns and you are just not aware of it. Guns that are locked become "forbidden fruit". The kids will find a way to access them. And we teach "gun safety" When to handle and how to handle one safely.

Neighbors? My husband of 44 years owned guns, which Mommy demanded be locked up in a safe when our children were growing up. I STILL demand that today and not just when grandkids visit. Little secret. When your spouse wants nothing to do with your guns, you will have a hard time convincing your children.

Our now adult children do not own guns and neither do their spouses. So their children will never know your version gun safety either. Booo Hoo. You cannot force your views on others.

BTW, when our neighbor's home was broken into decades ago, while they were at work, a few days later I found a gun in my backyard. Adult me didn't know gun safety and how to pick it up, and get my fingerprints all over it, to make sure it wasn't loaded. I stood guard over it until the police came to get it so no kids could find it. THAT is gun safety, not your version of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies