Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Apparently, my American citizenship may be called into question or just revoked outright when tRump issues his executive order nullifying the 14th Amendmendment. Sad but true, my Mother was still a Swiss National when I was born and my Father was still overseas at the time. Guess I was an "anchor baby" long before the term ever came into common usage. Will Trump's EO be retroactive? It's quite possible that it well may be. Just look at the plight of the Dreamers. Like the Dreamers, the US is the only country I can really call home. I have visited Switzerland often over the years, and I actually like it quite well, but not THAT well. It is not the country of my birth.

I am like many of the Dreamers in that I do not speak the language of my Mother's (soon to be mine?) native country. I know German, but the Swiss speak a dialect called Schweizerdeutsch which is completely incomprehensible to non-native speakers - even German ones. That problem aside, I wonder where the Swiss government will resettle me when the time comes. "Mutti's" family comes from a small farming village (named Flühli) high in the Alps. The primary employment is either with the tourist industry or on one of the many diary farms extending into the high mountains of Switzerland. I might be qualified to watch over the herds of Swiss brown cows in the summer. Maybe.

It will be difficult to transfer the degrees I earned here to the Swiss employment market. A master's degree from an American University is equivalent to only a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss University. And what about all the years when I faithfully paid my taxes - especially my payroll taxes that were supposed to go to my Social Security and Medicare when I can no longer work a full time job? I suppose that as a Swiss national, I'm just shart out of luck. Will I end up on the Swiss equivalent of welfare? That would really suck.

But what would suck worse is if the Swiss government refused to take me in. Then what?

Of course, this entire scenario is completely absurd - I think. Still, what's the difference between me and any other person born in the US to a foreign national? Where does one draw the line? I didn't ask to be born in the US and now Trump wants to kick me and other folks just like me out of the country. Think about it.

I am not for open borders, BTW. But somewhere in all this mess, there has to be a rational policy drawn up and passed into law by Congress. After all, we are a nation of immigrants. No, we cannot allow in every person on earth who is seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Yet to simply toss people aside as if they were yesterday's garbage is wrong as well. Playing games with the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution is simply election time fear mongering. It creates a zillion problems for everyone it solves.

We need an immigration policy that attracts the best and the brightest. But we also need to give asylum seekers a chance, as well. We need a strong border with laws that are equal for all. This is going to be anything but easy to come up with immigration laws that are humane yet strict and which protect our borders against our enemies and the millions of desperate people who try to gain access to our country. But there's not a doubt in my mind that this can be accomplished, for America has accomplished many things that once were deemed impossible.

The ravings of a crazy man who spends all his time on Twitter should not even be given the time of day in today's United States. We need solutions - not rabble rousing.

And should I get deported, DM me, and I'll send you some Swiss Chocolate.
I hope that it would be retroactive to some point. I support immigration that enhances our nation...educated and/or skilled people that don't hate half the country would be a great start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It never takes long for the drama queens to come out, does it. Is your father a US citizen? If so what are you worried about? Are you an illegal? I mean I'm sure it wouldn't surprise anyone, but are you?
That warms the cockles of my heart to think that everyone believes I'm an illegal when I myself don't even know if I am or not. Not that it's any of your business, but my Dad was a US citizen. And much good it will do me if folks like phantompilot have their way (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Drama Queen alert!

Btw, you say we are a nation of immigrants, yet I was born in Massachusetts, so how does that work exactly?
Oh, come on. Just because I was called a "drama queen" in the reply above doesn't mean that I couldn't be described by some other term as well. Personally, I'm fond of "diva," also attention wh*re is pretty succinct. If you're going to disparage someone on the Internet, a good vocabulary always comes in handy.

And somehow I suspect that you know what "a nation of immigrants" means even if you were born in a backwater like Massachusetts. My Dad's family actually landed in MA back in the 1600's and got the heck out of there as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think you're taking it overboard, LOL. Your hate for President Trump is clouding your common sense.

Nobody is deporting a United States Citizen.

BTW: I use to live in Switzerland for years and Swiss-German is almost impossible to understand, I could barely understand Swiss French, Lol
I would submit that your undying devotion to the current president* is clouding YOUR common sense. My post was obviously written with tongue in cheek. However, I have noticed that many of Trump's followers are lacking when it comes to a sense of humor and often are completely incapable of detecting even the most blatant sarcasm.

While nobody is deporting US citizens at the moment, what do you think will happen if Trump gets his way and deletes the 14th Amendment? Anyone with a parent who is (or was) not a US citizen when they born in this country will immediately have their citizenship placed in peril. I happen to come from a group that is commonly fair skinned with light colored hair - just like one of those desirable Norwegians Trump likes to talk about. But what's the difference between a nice white girl like me versus a woman who happens to be born of parents with darker complexions and dark hair? Why am I somehow more desirable citizenship wise? That was the point of my post.

BTW: That's pretty cool that you got to live in Confœderatio Helvetica for some time. The Swiss love to confuse EVERYONE, beginning with the Latin name for their country. What did you think of the Swiss direct democracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Nobody cares about your personal anecdote. Did you break in here? Did your parents break in here and demand the American citizen support them?

No?

Then what the hell? What is the point of your stupid story? You're a citizen anyway since you have a parent that is a citizen...although I agree, it SHOULD be required that BOTH parents be citizens. Otherwise we'll have people trying to scam their way into relationships with Americans and we don't need THAT either.
My point was that any American with a foreign parent is really no different than today's Dreamers. None of us asked ahead of time to be born in the US or brought here as a small child. The integrity of the US government and the decency of the American people is being put on display here for the entire world to heap scorn upon. No, we cannot continue with Dreamer type exceptions forever. There should be a definite cut-off date if there isn't one already. I agree as much as anyone that our immigration system is seriously broken and that we need to come together as a nation and fix it. However, fear-mongering and absurd changes to our Constitution is not the way to do it.

And did you know that CD has this very cool feature called "ignore"? Since my posts seem to make you swell up with venom, I suggest you put me on "ignore." Your CD experience will be the better for it.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What a stupid thread. Ugh.
What is stupid is Fuhrer Cheeto Bonespurs thinking he can do this by EO.
He thinks he is above the law or maybe he just doesn't really know it.
Just another political stunt like his lie about a middle class tax cut coming before the election.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 AM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Drama Queen alert!

Btw, you say we are a nation of immigrants, yet I was born in Massachusetts, so how does that work exactly?
We are a nation of immigrants because immigrants made our country. I was born in Mississippi but I’m 100% European.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:16 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I knew he was fake even beofre drilling down like you did. He is dripping with Democrat talking points with I-am-not-for-open-borders line thrown in for good measure.

She. Vagabond is not a he.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Honestly, no one cares about you.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:22 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Apparently, my American citizenship may be called into question or just revoked outright when tRump issues his executive order nullifying the 14th Amendmendment. Sad but true, my Mother was still a Swiss National when I was born and my Father was still overseas at the time. Guess I was an "anchor baby" long before the term ever came into common usage. Will Trump's EO be retroactive? It's quite possible that it well may be. Just look at the plight of the Dreamers. Like the Dreamers, the US is the only country I can really call home. I have visited Switzerland often over the years, and I actually like it quite well, but not THAT well. It is not the country of my birth.

I am like many of the Dreamers in that I do not speak the language of my Mother's (soon to be mine?) native country. I know German, but the Swiss speak a dialect called Schweizerdeutsch which is completely incomprehensible to non-native speakers - even German ones. That problem aside, I wonder where the Swiss government will resettle me when the time comes. "Mutti's" family comes from a small farming village (named Flühli) high in the Alps. The primary employment is either with the tourist industry or on one of the many diary farms extending into the high mountains of Switzerland. I might be qualified to watch over the herds of Swiss brown cows in the summer. Maybe.

It will be difficult to transfer the degrees I earned here to the Swiss employment market. A master's degree from an American University is equivalent to only a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss University. And what about all the years when I faithfully paid my taxes - especially my payroll taxes that were supposed to go to my Social Security and Medicare when I can no longer work a full time job? I suppose that as a Swiss national, I'm just shart out of luck. Will I end up on the Swiss equivalent of welfare? That would really suck.

But what would suck worse is if the Swiss government refused to take me in. Then what?

Of course, this entire scenario is completely absurd - I think. Still, what's the difference between me and any other person born in the US to a foreign national? Where does one draw the line? I didn't ask to be born in the US and now Trump wants to kick me and other folks just like me out of the country. Think about it.

I am not for open borders, BTW. But somewhere in all this mess, there has to be a rational policy drawn up and passed into law by Congress. After all, we are a nation of immigrants. No, we cannot allow in every person on earth who is seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Yet to simply toss people aside as if they were yesterday's garbage is wrong as well. Playing games with the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution is simply election time fear mongering. It creates a zillion problems for everyone it solves.

We need an immigration policy that attracts the best and the brightest. But we also need to give asylum seekers a chance, as well. We need a strong border with laws that are equal for all. This is going to be anything but easy to come up with immigration laws that are humane yet strict and which protect our borders against our enemies and the millions of desperate people who try to gain access to our country. But there's not a doubt in my mind that this can be accomplished, for America has accomplished many things that once were deemed impossible.

The ravings of a crazy man who spends all his time on Twitter should not even be given the time of day in today's United States. We need solutions - not rabble rousing.

You certainly are a rambler. Your rant does not make any sense. It is based on a canard. I can't figure out if your father was a U.S. citizen or not. Regardless, a repeal of the birthright citizenship clause would be replaced by a statute clarifying the status of children born to legal residents. Most wealthy countries grant permanent residency or citizenship to children of permanent resident non-citizens.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We are a nation of immigrants because immigrants made our country. I was born in Mississippi but I’m 100% European.
I think slaves, settlers, and colonists made the country too. It's no more a 'nation of immigrants' than it is a nation of McDonald's' or colonists or whatever.

'Nation of immigrants' is a politically engineered phrase to erase the colonial history of the United States. It has also been used to smear those advocating a more restrictive immigration policy as 'unAmerican.' You can stick it where the...

Old 10-31-2018, 02:27 AM

If your father was a U.S. citizen, you are already natural-born, birthright citizenship clause or not. Your rant just gets even more ridiculous the more information comes out.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Don't let the door hit you in the rear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies