Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times

Advertisements

Apparently, my American citizenship may be called into question or just revoked outright when tRump issues his executive order nullifying the 14th Amendmendment. Sad but true, my Mother was still a Swiss National when I was born and my Father was still overseas at the time. Guess I was an "anchor baby" long before the term ever came into common usage. Will Trump's EO be retroactive? It's quite possible that it well may be. Just look at the plight of the Dreamers. Like the Dreamers, the US is the only country I can really call home. I have visited Switzerland often over the years, and I actually like it quite well, but not THAT well. It is not the country of my birth.

I am like many of the Dreamers in that I do not speak the language of my Mother's (soon to be mine?) native country. I know German, but the Swiss speak a dialect called Schweizerdeutsch which is completely incomprehensible to non-native speakers - even German ones. That problem aside, I wonder where the Swiss government will resettle me when the time comes. "Mutti's" family comes from a small farming village (named Flühli) high in the Alps. The primary employment is either with the tourist industry or on one of the many diary farms extending into the high mountains of Switzerland. I might be qualified to watch over the herds of Swiss brown cows in the summer. Maybe.

It will be difficult to transfer the degrees I earned here to the Swiss employment market. A master's degree from an American University is equivalent to only a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss University. And what about all the years when I faithfully paid my taxes - especially my payroll taxes that were supposed to go to my Social Security and Medicare when I can no longer work a full time job? I suppose that as a Swiss national, I'm just shart out of luck. Will I end up on the Swiss equivalent of welfare? That would really suck.

But what would suck worse is if the Swiss government refused to take me in. Then what?

Of course, this entire scenario is completely absurd - I think. Still, what's the difference between me and any other person born in the US to a foreign national? Where does one draw the line? I didn't ask to be born in the US and now Trump wants to kick me and other folks just like me out of the country. Think about it.

I am not for open borders, BTW. But somewhere in all this mess, there has to be a rational policy drawn up and passed into law by Congress. After all, we are a nation of immigrants. No, we cannot allow in every person on earth who is seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Yet to simply toss people aside as if they were yesterday's garbage is wrong as well. Playing games with the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution is simply election time fear mongering. It creates a zillion problems for everyone it solves.

We need an immigration policy that attracts the best and the brightest. But we also need to give asylum seekers a chance, as well. We need a strong border with laws that are equal for all. This is going to be anything but easy to come up with immigration laws that are humane yet strict and which protect our borders against our enemies and the millions of desperate people who try to gain access to our country. But there's not a doubt in my mind that this can be accomplished, for America has accomplished many things that once were deemed impossible.

The ravings of a crazy man who spends all his time on Twitter should not even be given the time of day in today's United States. We need solutions - not rabble rousing.

And should I get deported, DM me, and I'll send you some Swiss Chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Oh man...you had my interest until the 15th word. Not necessary the word but how it was spelled.

Bye.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Oh man...you had my interest until the 15th word. Not necessary the word but how it was spelled.

Bye.
You had to go and make me count.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
It never takes long for the drama queens to come out, does it. Is your father a US citizen? If so what are you worried about? Are you an illegal? I mean I'm sure it wouldn't surprise anyone, but are you?

Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Drama Queen alert!

Btw, you say we are a nation of immigrants, yet I was born in Massachusetts, so how does that work exactly?

Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I think you're taking it overboard, LOL. Your hate for President Trump is clouding your common sense.

Nobody is deporting a United States Citizen.

BTW: I use to live in Switzerland for years and Swiss-German is almost impossible to understand, I could barely understand Swiss French, Lol

Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It never takes long for the drama queens to come out, does it. Is your father a US citizen? If so what are you worried about? Are you an illegal? I mean I'm sure it wouldn't surprise anyone, but are you?
Obama’s mother was an unquestionable American citizen but that didn’t stop RWNJs from running in circles foaming and howling.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Drama Queens??? Have any of you using that descriptor attended a Trump rally?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Nobody cares about your personal anecdote. Did you break in here? Did your parents break in here and demand the American citizen support them?

No?

Then what the hell? What is the point of your stupid story? You're a citizen anyway since you have a parent that is a citizen...although I agree, it SHOULD be required that BOTH parents be citizens. Otherwise we'll have people trying to scam their way into relationships with Americans and we don't need THAT either.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Apparently, my American citizenship may be called into question or just revoked outright when tRump issues his executive order nullifying the 14th Amendmendment. Sad but true, my Mother was still a Swiss National when I was born and my Father was still overseas at the time. Guess I was an "anchor baby" long before the term ever came into common usage. Will Trump's EO be retroactive? It's quite possible that it well may be. Just look at the plight of the Dreamers. Like the Dreamers, the US is the only country I can really call home. I have visited Switzerland often over the years, and I actually like it quite well, but not THAT well. It is not the country of my birth.

I am like many of the Dreamers in that I do not speak the language of my Mother's (soon to be mine?) native country. I know German, but the Swiss speak a dialect called Schweizerdeutsch which is completely incomprehensible to non-native speakers - even German ones. That problem aside, I wonder where the Swiss government will resettle me when the time comes. "Mutti's" family comes from a small farming village (named Flühli) high in the Alps. The primary employment is either with the tourist industry or on one of the many diary farms extending into the high mountains of Switzerland. I might be qualified to watch over the herds of Swiss brown cows in the summer. Maybe.

It will be difficult to transfer the degrees I earned here to the Swiss employment market. A master's degree from an American University is equivalent to only a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss University. And what about all the years when I faithfully paid my taxes - especially my payroll taxes that were supposed to go to my Social Security and Medicare when I can no longer work a full time job? I suppose that as a Swiss national, I'm just shart out of luck. Will I end up on the Swiss equivalent of welfare? That would really suck.

But what would suck worse is if the Swiss government refused to take me in. Then what?

Of course, this entire scenario is completely absurd - I think. Still, what's the difference between me and any other person born in the US to a foreign national? Where does one draw the line? I didn't ask to be born in the US and now Trump wants to kick me and other folks just like me out of the country. Think about it.

I am not for open borders, BTW. But somewhere in all this mess, there has to be a rational policy drawn up and passed into law by Congress. After all, we are a nation of immigrants. No, we cannot allow in every person on earth who is seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Yet to simply toss people aside as if they were yesterday's garbage is wrong as well. Playing games with the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution is simply election time fear mongering. It creates a zillion problems for everyone it solves.

We need an immigration policy that attracts the best and the brightest. But we also need to give asylum seekers a chance, as well. We need a strong border with laws that are equal for all. This is going to be anything but easy to come up with immigration laws that are humane yet strict and which protect our borders against our enemies and the millions of desperate people who try to gain access to our country. But there's not a doubt in my mind that this can be accomplished, for America has accomplished many things that once were deemed impossible.

The ravings of a crazy man who spends all his time on Twitter should not even be given the time of day in today's United States. We need solutions - not rabble rousing.

And should I get deported, DM me, and I'll send you some Swiss Chocolate.
Your father was a US citizen, regardless of where he was living at the time and you were born on US soil. No need to write Switzerland unless you wish to renounce your US citizenship.

By the way, if your father was serving overseas in the military, assigned to a military unit with any fixed facility, even if it was just a chow hall or shoppette, he was considered to be on US soil no matter where he actually was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies