Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I never said you can't criticize speech or a viewpoint. In fact I expressly said that is the concept of free speech. If you don't like someone's Halloween costume then criticize it if you want, and they might defend it, but that's as far as any consequences need to go unless you don't believe in the concept of free speech.

You don't get to decide what others speech in response to yours is. Sorry.

And if I'm an employer, I have every right to exercise my ability to terminate my relationship with you.

That is how reality (and free speech) works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I really dislike the Political Correctness stuff. Even though black face is historically offensive, people must be aware of its history of negativity objection of black minstrel shows. But a the same time it is he Halloween, and those that who participate in Halloween try to be creative, funny in many ways possible. Some people may take offense to costumes, while most wont. However your employer may take offense to such costume due to the feact that the employer is afraid of Sjw, Feminists and Pro Black mobs out there.

Let me get to the topic. A nurse was fired from her job for dressing up in a black-face costume as Beyoncee, while her date dressed up as Jay-Z. I can say the costume is an inaccurate potrayle of the super star couple. The black is offensive, but at the same time its only Halloween. The Nurse was fired. Just be careful what you wear during Halloween guys.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....e-costume/amp/
People are way too anal....better to be a field mouse.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:10 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Based on the rest of your post, you're better than trying to defend a poster who clearly and proudly displays their racist and anti-semetic beliefs in online anonymity.

I disagree with you about what PC is, but I understand the point you're trying to make. If you replaced PC with SJW, and 'good portion of the population' with 'far left fringe of the population,' I'd agree with a large part of your post (those are some drastic changes though).

As for costumes of other horrible people in history, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at your examples because many people wouldn't be able to identify them, most people don't know anyone effected by them, and there aren't current movements trying to bring back their policies and beliefs.

Blackface is widely considered to be offensive, and it's easy to see why. If someone in this day and age decides to go out in blackface, there are only a few possibilities.

1. They're choosing to wear it because they want to offend black people (They're racist, they should be fired, **** them)

2. They know that it will offend many people, but they choose to do it anyway (they're *******s, they should be fired, **** them)

3. They just don't know any better (they're idiots, their idiocy could jeopardize the company in the future, might just have to fire them too).

It would be like a Jew going dressing up as a decomposing Jesus on the cross. They would be eviscerated by the same people who are supportive of black-face.

I did want to give the girl the benefit of the doubt as being a Beyonce fan, but in thinking about it. Beyonce sure as **** is against people wearing black-face. A real fan would know that, and not wear it.
At least you seemed to try and appreciate what I was saying.

Regardless, rest assured the very people trying to enforce PC in this country do in fact want to bring back communism, thus Stalin should qualify based on your viewpoint.
But just because he has not be demonized like Hitler, doesn't mean he should not be just as detested. Heck people either forget, were never taught, or just plain are brainwashed to think of Hitler as the worst, but forget he had some serious competition in the mass murder department, like Mao who is probably #2 on the all time list.
Frankly, the ones carrying out the executions are even worse, as most of the leaders on the list didn't kill with their own hands. Thus Vasily Blokhin might be the actual worst guy, having personally carried out more murders by his own hand, not Stalin who gave him the orders to do so.

The point being that wearing blackface is hardly as bad as dressing up as the mass murderers I mentioned, but PC conditioned kooks would only get upset at one of the top three I mentioned, and would be oblivious to most in the top ten.

The faux outrage over blackface is much to do about nothing, but is conflated into some horrible act which apparently means the person should wind up on the unemployment line for such an unforgivable crime.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

And if I'm an employer, I have every right to exercise my ability to terminate my relationship with you.

So you would be fine with your employer firing you because of your political views, or some other arbitrary reason regardless of how well you perform your job

`

Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Should you be fired if you dressed up as a Leprechaun, or dressed up as someone from the Jersey Shore, maybe as a Samurai. Anything a ethnic, and your employer sees such costume. You will be gone. Why? Employers cave into the demands of SJW and Feminists all the time.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:17 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Going in blackface is offensive to some. It ain't hard to be empathetic to the feelings of others, it ain't gonna kill you. Damn y'all. This ain't hard. Doing something simply to cause offense is a douche move. Halloween is fun, don't be a douche on Halloween (or any other time).

Old 11-01-2018, 06:17 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
THIS is blackface and it is horrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_swtbIi2F0

Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Going in blackface is offensive to some. It ain't hard to be empathetic to the feelings of others, it ain't gonna kill you. Damn y'all. This ain't hard. Doing something simply to cause offense is a douche move. Halloween is fun, don't be a douche on Halloween (or any other time).
You do realize if you applied that thinking, almost all costumes might be considered offensive, right?
Some people would undoubtedly get offended if you wore a Bill Clinton mask with a cigar, or Hillary costume with a loser sign around her neck, or even a George Bush one.
Others will get offended over "cultural appropriation" rubbish for you not being the 'right" ethnic or religious type person to wear it.
Blackface has been worn for a long time without people getting so up in arms about it, that their jobs/careers are ruined.
Heck today there are all sorts of costumes for purchase that could be offense to people depending on their ideological perspective, but big friggin deal, as I am not going to avoid giving candy out to one of them who might be a radical feminist, homosexual activist, etc.

Personally I have not worn a costume in decades, but when I did, anything was fair game. You could dress up like a cowboy/Indian, Pope, political or sports figure, Roman god, historical figure (good or evil) and it would all be in fun for one day/night.
So what has changed other than hypersensitivity and/or PC?

Also I am noting how few if any of you supporting an employer firing someone over a costume, has given Ted Danson a pass for his blackface in front of plenty of black people, including fawning Whoopi Goldberg.
Can anyone say hypocrisy?

`

Old 11-01-2018, 08:39 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You do realize if you applied that thinking, almost all costumes might be considered offensive, right?
Some people would undoubtedly get offended if you wore a Bill Clinton mask with a cigar, or Hillary costume with a loser sign around her neck, or even a George Bush one.
Others will get offended over "cultural appropriation" rubbish for you not being the 'right" ethnic or religious type person to wear it.
Blackface has been worn for a long time without people getting so up in arms about it, that their jobs/careers are ruined.
Heck today there are all sorts of costumes for purchase that could be offense to people depending on their ideological perspective, but big friggin deal, as I am not going to avoid giving candy out to one of them who might be a radical feminist, homosexual activist, etc.

Personally I have not worn a costume in decades, but when I did, anything was fair game. You could dress up like a cowboy/Indian, Pope, political or sports figure, Roman god, historical figure (good or evil) and it would all be in fun for one day/night.

Also I am noting how few if any of you supporting an employer firing someone over a costume, has given Ted Danson a pass for his blackface in front of plenty of black people, including fawning Whoopi Goldberg.
Can anyone say hypocrisy?

`
To be fair, Danson received a lot of heat for doing that. He benefited from having been Whoopi's boyfriend at the time and also from having done it in a time before hysterics dominated everything.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:49 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

That is a VERY good question. What has changed in relatively recent years? The Media, and Democrats figures out you could MANIPULATE people by shaming them over whatever THEY CLASSIFY as offensive due to Identity Politics. The goal? Dividing us to create controversy, sensationalism, and to keep us distracted. This entire "I'm offended" movement is nothing more than internalized narcissism, and overt attention getting. People now have INFLATED EGOS to think their "FEELINGS" are more important than anything else, or anyone else's feelings.

Society is now encouraging people to be offended, and be vocal about it. We are becoming a nation of wusses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies