Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Those of you who seem so worried about the cost to sent troops to guard our border dont seem worried at all about the cost to house, feed, transport, educate and provide medical services for the people at our border, the ones who come in through port of entry to apply for asylum. For each asylum seeker/refugee the US spend 79,600 or 64,300 per year (depending of source and year) for the first 5 years after they are settled in the US. An estimated cost of 1.8 billion/year to house, feed, transport, cloth, educate and provide medical services to those coming over the border seeking asylum. However the figures vary by year, its costing us millions-billions a year to process/resettle refugees.

But you are worried about the extra $ from the military budget to feed (probably MREs) and house (probably tents) and transport (gas for military vehicles we already have) 1,500 troops to harden our border. Whats the point in having active duty without training for deployment. You do realize troops are sent to spend weeks and months in areas of our country for training purposes where they must be transported, housed and feed, right? Why not use this situation as training as well as being useful to help border patrol and deal with any situation that may occur on the boarder, and as a show of force, even though they arent using force. Seems to me thats three birds with one stone.
I am actually worried about both the cost of illegal immigration and the cost of the border patrol. The budget for the 50,000 ICE agents and border patrol around $4B and its increasing every year due to the problems in central America.

Like I indicated this isn't an exercise, not even well thought out and its costing $50-100M for a political stunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see that they are doing anything significant at the moment and the caravan wont be here until next month, Regardless of the makeup that's an expensive proposition. Seems to me it would be better to send them to Guatemala to help repair roads and other infrastructure, that might help alleviate the problem rather than the same failed policies.

They have no authority to do much of anything, this isn't Iraq.
I was on active duty Army, left AD to join the National Guard and was deployed to the SW border twice. I am now a CBP officer.

But yeah, I have no idea what's going on at the southern border

Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I am actually worried about both the cost of illegal immigration and the cost of the border patrol. The budget for the 50,000 ICE agents and border patrol around $4B and its increasing every year due to the problems in central America.

Like I indicated this isn't an exercise, not even well thought out and its costing $50-100M for a political stunt.
And the cost of illegal immigration and asylum seekers/refugees is increasing every year, but I dont think I have seen a post from you concerned over the cost of this.

If we have a problem with immigration then we have a need to fund border patrol and ICE. Their jobs are what keeps us from incurring even more expense supporting illegals. What your saying is like you are concerned that we spend XXXXX dollars on prisoners but you dont want to spend XXX on officers,prison guards, employees and maintenance of the facilities to keep the prisoners from running at large.

How do you know its not an "exercise", or well thought out or that its costing 50-100 million? There are no figures for what it has cost. How is it a political stunt? You think this is somehow going to sway democratic voters to vote republican in the primaries?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I don't see that they are doing anything significant at the moment and the caravan wont be here until next month, Regardless of the makeup that's an expensive proposition. Seems to me it would be better to send them to Guatemala to help repair roads and other infrastructure, that might help alleviate the problem rather than the same failed policies.

So in your opinion the reason the caravans are exiting Guatemala and traveling through Mexico to the US is because of bad road and infrastructure?

And sending our troops there to fix Guatemala's infrastructure, not ours, not Puerto Ricos, not defending our borders would be money better spent.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:

That's good because the government is creating good paying federal jobs for American citizens.

Or, you would rather spend those $4B to undocumented immigrants?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So in your opinion the reason the caravans are exiting Guatemala and traveling through Mexico to the US is because of bad road and infrastructure?

And sending our troops there to fix Guatemala's infrastructure, not ours, not Puerto Ricos, not defending our borders would be money better spent.
Bad economy, infrastructure, gang violence you name it but our solution is to stop them at the border and send them back. We need to help address the core cause but instead we have used the same old tired failed policy for 50 years. This isn't a solution, it addresses the symptom not the cause.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I was on active duty Army, left AD to join the National Guard and was deployed to the SW border twice. I am now a CBP officer.

But yeah, I have no idea what's going on at the southern border
I don't ever recall sending 5000 troops to the border for a few months, maybe you can share your expertise in that area.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Bad economy, infrastructure, gang violence you name it but our solution is to stop them at the border and send them back. We need to help address the core cause but instead we have used the same old tired failed policy for 50 years. This isn't a solution, it addresses the symptom not the cause.

The "same old tired failed policy for 50 years" that hasn't been working is sending them hundreds of millions in aid in the futile hope that they can become economically stronger. Stopping them at the border and sending them back, to the strictness that we are doing today, is the new policy.

What history has shown is that we can never make another country prosperous through charity. The impoverished underdeveloped Third World countries dependent on foreign aid today are the same ones from 50 years ago. What nation has ever climbed out of the cesspool due to foreign aid?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And we have the same issue in our country. Our responsibility is NOT Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador. We already provide foreign aid to central America. Our responsibility is to US citizens and our country and securing our borders.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I don't ever recall sending 5000 troops to the border for a few months, maybe you can share your expertise in that area.
Just google Operation Jump Start and Operation Phalanx. I was deployed with an engineer unit both times. There were MP units, FSC, aviation, and other combat support units.

My engineer unit was responsible for repairing access roads along the fences. Access roads are critical to BP's border protection mission because that is how they get to a "hot" area along the fences.

Yes, my engineer unit was armed with M4 rifles and 150 rounds of 5.56mm, but we were not allowed to operate without oversight of a CBP agent/officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies