Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hard to believe CNN can even charge enough to it's advertisers to stay in business.
My impression from CNN International is that CNN is financed by UAE countries, Nigeria, and some former USSR Republics in the Middle-East and Asia. These are the most-advertised spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Complete domination. CNN is in free fall leading up to the election.

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-ra...ctions-1195832

Another old thread! Moderator please close!

Old 12-27-2018, 01:12 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I watch Chris Cuomo on CNN. I enjoy his "get after them"approach. I also listen to him on Sirius XM. I catch Don Lemon sometimes. I've only started watching MSNBC recently. I've only watched Chris Matthews. I watch ABC news with David Muir. Believe it or not, I watched Bill O'Reilly almost every night when he was on. I didn't agree with most things he said but I respected his view and the facts he reported. He challenged me to educate myself on why I didn't agree with him. He was good for that. I can't stomach Hannity or Tucker. It's so obvious that Hannity is lining his pocket with Individual 1 money. He is completely biased. Tucker is boring. I tried to stick with Geraldo but he turned the wrong corner defending Individual 1. I still read the WP and NYT. So I believe as long as you are challenging yourself to see different points of view from an opinion standpoint AND educating yourself on the facts, you can consume any news outlet and be well versed informed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Remind me again what "different" points of view keep you well versed...
Quote:
All of them. You don't have to agree with everything everyone says all the time. That's how I learn. By being surrounded by people that are different you received a different viewpoint. Our way isn't always the right way. Facts are different from opinion. Some people need to also learn the difference. Do you have better sources for facts and opinion? Share.

I agree that some people need to learn the difference between fact and opinion, and CNN is the epicenter of that need...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-kirby-vpx.cnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwf0x9eAnLg

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't wants it.
Does anybody here... Is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said , "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

1. he says they received "one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received"

This is true. 2010 was the last time they received a larger pay raise (3.4%).

2. he says they haven't gotten one in more than 10 years. Since we are still talking about "one of the biggest pay raises" this is also true.

No, he didn't misspeak when he said "you haven't gotten one or more in more in ten years" because "one" is still a big pay increase, and they haven't gotten one of those (or more) in 10 years.

3. he never said that he got them a 10 percent pay increase. He repeated what he said during negotiations. He said, "make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time."

But let's not let facts get in the way of fake news, as reported by the station with 93% negative coverage of Trump.

You talk a good game KayAnn246, but that's all...

Old 12-27-2018, 03:32 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
My impression from CNN International is that CNN is financed by UAE countries, Nigeria, and some former USSR Republics in the Middle-East and Asia. These are the most-advertised spots.
You best read up on Rupert's partner.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Quote:
I agree that some people need to learn the difference between fact and opinion, and CNN is the epicenter of that need...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-kirby-vpx.cnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwf0x9eAnLg

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't wants it.
Does anybody here... Is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said , "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

1. he says they received "one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received"

This is true. 2010 was the last time they received a larger pay raise (3.4%).

2. he says they haven't gotten one in more than 10 years. Since we are still talking about "one of the biggest pay raises" this is also true.

No, he didn't misspeak when he said "you haven't gotten one or more in more in ten years" because "one" is still a big pay increase, and they haven't gotten one of those (or more) in 10 years.

3. he never said that he got them a 10 percent pay increase. He repeated what he said during negotiations. He said, "make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time."

But let's not let facts get in the way of fake news, as reported by the station with 93% negative coverage of Trump.

You talk a good game KayAnn246, but that's all...
Alternative facts again? Twisting words around doesn't work. He lied as usual. (Another source)

The president told military personnel in Iraq that they’ll get a raise of over 10 percent, their first in a decade. But it’s 2.6 percent, and they get a hike every year.

The president told service members at al-Asad air base in Iraq that he was proud to secure them a much-needed pay bump of “more than 10 percent†after years of stagnant wages. Many of the troops in attendance may have been surprised to learn they hadn’t seen a pay increase in more than a decade.

“Is anybody here willing to give up the big pay raise you just got?†Trump said, asking for a show of hands. “You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.â€

In fact, military members have seen a pay raise in each of the last 10 years, ranging from 1 percent to 3.9 percent, according to the Defense Department. They even saw pay bumps when other federal workers were subjected to a three-year pay freeze in the wake of the Great Recession.

The pay increase for 2019 passed by Congress and signed by the president in August will be 2.6 percent, the largest since 2010. It is not far above last year’s raise for troops, which was 2.4 percent.

“We had plenty of people that came up. They said, ‘You know, we can make it smaller. We can make it 3 percent. We can make it 2 percent. We can make it 4 percent.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent.’â€

The falsehood about military pay raises may be turning into a theme for Trump. As Politifact reported in May, the president claimed that the last pay increase, for fiscal year 2018, was also the “first time in 10 years.†On Wednesday, Trump used the phrase “in more than 10 years†four times.

The fact-checking site noted that the last single year without a military pay raise was 1983, and that was only because the date of the raise was shifted from Oct. 1 to Jan. 1.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0407e907fbc2b

Old 12-27-2018, 09:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Try some of the independent news sites:

https://publicintegrity.org/
Reason.com
https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news
BBC - Homepage
https://www.aljazeera.com/topics/regions/us-canada.html
Asia Times - Covering geo-political news and current affairs across Asia
https://rsf.org/en/

https://www.americanpressinstitute.o...media-content/

Questions to ask to separate fact from fiction

Quote:
1. Type: What kind of content is this?
2. Source: Who and what are the sources cited and why should I believe them?
3. Evidence: What’s the evidence and how was it vetted?
4. Interpretation: Is the main point of the piece proven by the evidence?
5. Completeness: What’s missing?
6. Knowledge: Am I learning every day what I need?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,346 times
Quote:
Alternative facts again? Twisting words around doesn't work. He lied as usual. (Another source)

The president told military personnel in Iraq that they’ll get a raise of over 10 percent, their first in a decade. But it’s 2.6 percent, and they get a hike every year.

The president told service members at al-Asad air base in Iraq that he was proud to secure them a much-needed pay bump of “more than 10 percent†after years of stagnant wages. Many of the troops in attendance may have been surprised to learn they hadn’t seen a pay increase in more than a decade.

“Is anybody here willing to give up the big pay raise you just got?†Trump said, asking for a show of hands. “You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.â€

In fact, military members have seen a pay raise in each of the last 10 years, ranging from 1 percent to 3.9 percent, according to the Defense Department. They even saw pay bumps when other federal workers were subjected to a three-year pay freeze in the wake of the Great Recession.

The pay increase for 2019 passed by Congress and signed by the president in August will be 2.6 percent, the largest since 2010. It is not far above last year’s raise for troops, which was 2.4 percent.

“We had plenty of people that came up. They said, ‘You know, we can make it smaller. We can make it 3 percent. We can make it 2 percent. We can make it 4 percent.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent.’â€

The falsehood about military pay raises may be turning into a theme for Trump. As Politifact reported in May, the president claimed that the last pay increase, for fiscal year 2018, was also the “first time in 10 years.†On Wednesday, Trump used the phrase “in more than 10 years†four times.

The fact-checking site noted that the last single year without a military pay raise was 1983, and that was only because the date of the raise was shifted from Oct. 1 to Jan. 1.

huffpo is as bad as cnn, smh.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
huffpo is as bad as cnn, smh.
The video says what was quoted. That still won't be enough for Individual 1 supporters. He lied.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:56 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:

The president told service members at al-Asad air base in Iraq that he was proud to secure them a much-needed pay bump of “more than 10 percent” after years of stagnant wages. Many of the troops in attendance may have been surprised to learn they hadn’t seen a pay increase in more than a decade.

“Is anybody here willing to give up the big pay raise you just got?” Trump said, asking for a show of hands. “You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.”

“We had plenty of people that came up. They said, ‘You know, we can make it smaller. We can make it 3 percent. We can make it 2 percent. We can make it 4 percent.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent.’”

The falsehood about military pay raises may be turning into a theme for Trump. As Politifact reported in May, the president claimed that the last pay increase, for fiscal year 2018, was also the “first time in 10 years.” On Wednesday, Trump used the phrase “in more than 10 years” four times.

Yes, KayAnn246, you believe fake news.

You believe what you are told is the truth instead of deciding for yourself what is true and what is not.

Even when confronted with the video, you still doubled-down on what you were told he said instead of the words that came out of his mouth.

He never said that anyone got a 10% pay increase.

He never said that anyone went ten years without any pay raise whatsoever.

Of course, maybe I didn't hear correctly...

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't want it. Does anybody here...is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said , "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

According to the construction of the last sentence, if he claims to have delivered a 10% increase, he also claims to have delivered one greater than 10%.

See how that doesn't work your way?

The antecedent to "one" is "big pay raise" and since not all pay raises are big pay raises, "one" refers only to the "big pay raise" already mentioned.

Last edited by momonkey; 12-27-2018 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, KayAnn246, you believe fake news.

You believe what you are told is the truth instead of deciding for yourself what is true and what is not.

Even when confronted with the video, you still doubled-down on what you were told he said instead of the words that came out of his mouth.

He never said that anyone got a 10% pay increase.

He never said that anyone went ten years without any pay raise whatsoever.

Of course, maybe I didn't hear correctly...

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't want it. Does anybody here...is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said , "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

According to the construction of the last sentence, if he claims to have delivered a 10% increase, he also claims to have delivered one greater than 10%.

See how that doesn't work your way?

The antecedent to "one" is "big pay raise" and since not all pay raises are big pay raises, "one" refers only to the "big pay raise" already mentioned.
I saw the video and listened. Again he lied. I'll bold again in your own post. Once more...He didn't give them a 10 percent raise or more than 10 percent and it hasn't been 10 years since they received a raise. That's clear.

Nothing about the news articles was fake. Your twisting words around to say what you THINK he meant to say is the only fake news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies