Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
That is NOT how the rating system works,

For the record, i watch neither.. i pick up some local news, get a tid bit from the web but for the most part ignore both CNN and FOX.
Sorry to disappoint you but that is EXACTLY how the rating system works.
FOX News has a higher percentage of viewers that watch the network RELIGIOUSLY - boosting the numbers all evening long - not just for a single show. Some of the networks' shows are more popular than others, but FOX News has an intensely loyal cadre of viewers who turn on FOX and LEAVE it on FOX. This produces a viewership "floor" on FOX that is much higher than either CNN or MSNBC. The FOX News viewers that come and go for particular shows then modify that rating up and down by the show, but the higher "floor" produced by that intensely loyal cadre give FOX a distinct edge over the other 2 news networks (as does the fact that Left-leaning viewers have 2 news networks to choose from).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...faqnielsen.htm

Remember too that the EVENING hours on the "news" networks are NOT NEWS. They are commentary and ENTERTAINMENT - essentially blowhards spouting their OPINIONS and telling folks how they should think. It's not exactly anything to brag about that rightwingers like that stuff so much. It's pretty much "crap TV".

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
CNN is being subsidized by Soros and other liberal billionaires so they don’t have to worry about profits...but bad ratings is not good for them.
CNN doesn't need to be subsidized. They had record profits last year (I suspect this year will turn out pretty good too - election years always do). ALL the cable news companies make big money.

https://www.thewrap.com/cnn-record-p...verill-turner/

Ken

Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So can we start calling Fox News the evil MSM now?
LOL - don't you know? The news media is only evil if it reports the president's blatherings word for word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Are you including the advertising that the DNC pays for?
Proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I like to think of it as very effective marketing and a positive message for American patriots.
How is "a positive message for American patriots" not biased? Especially when conservatives define "patriot" as someone who agrees with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yes, Hannity is extremely biased right, but also has information and interviews, exposes, and guests you don’t get to see elsewhere.
Because no one else will have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
or they choose a very soft-spoke Republican that I've never heard of.
Maybe you need to get out more. Step out of that echo chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You do realise that the right only watch Fox, where as the left are split between all the other networks?
That's why Fox ratings are high. They have a single captive audience.
Yep. And an audience that refuses to listen to any viewpoint other than their own.

Quote:
CNN is being subsidized by Soros and other liberal billionaires
Link?

Boy, that Soros guy really gets around. Still waiting for my check ...

Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
This thread is a prime example of how absolutely far we Americans have fallen. Years ago, could any of us have even imagined wasting time vehemently arguing which news station's ratings are worse? Could one have even imagined rooting for the demise of a network?

There was once a time when the debate around the Thanksgiving table ( if GrandMa allowed it) centered around ideas or agendas to further our USA, as the kiddos dressed in their feathers or pilgrim hats reminded us what we were celebrating together around the table. It wasn't which newspaper or journalist was our enemy. It was what was published that we discussed. Which idea had merit or stood up to rigorous debate.

We have more in common than that which divides us, folks. True news should not be suppressed. There is room for discussion of all that is honestly and factually reported and if the facts and ideas can't stand up to the light of day then that is how they should die.

Shame on all of us for tearing down our house...where will we put the Thanksgiving table if we have no house?

P.S. I am only using the feathers and pilgrim hats loosely as an analogy for hope and unity..please I do understand and appreciate our history relative to other issues etc.

P.P.S. I use news and reporting as the profession of journalism defines it.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 11-01-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 AM

18,439 posts, read 8,268,923 times
I don't see how any of these stations have bragging rights.....3 million viewers is just 1% of the population

Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
CNN is being subsidized by Soros and other liberal billionaires so they don’t have to worry about profits...but bad ratings is not good for them.
My problem with the news it that there is no news! We have had one corporation swallow other corporations and we now only have a handful that control almost all of the news.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. My local newspaper was bought out by one of these megacorporation and they moved the headquarter to a city four hours away. They got rid of most of the local reporters. Now, when you buy a local paper, we are lucky if we get three or four local stories. Even though our police look busy; we never hear the nuts and bolts of what is happening in our community.

The same thing with our National news. They are so busy with politics that we no longer have reporters; we simply have political journalist. They forgot that their primary job is to report the news! Of course it is important to talk about what is happening in politics; but that is just one small portion of the stories that are really important to Americans. We want to hear about the criminal activities, we want to hear about large plant closings or openings, we want to hear about transportation issues.

I don't really care which station you listen to today; they all have biases and they want their biases to be the only news they report. There is no reason for us to listen. As far as I'm concerned; put them all in a boxing ring and let them punch it out. I would not even care who won! I just wished the big news corporations would be torn apart into the fifty smaller corporations we had thirty years ago - then we actually heard the news!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Taking a look at CNN's page currently, the first article is titled "Trump Campaign Releases Racist Ad", followed by "Eleven Jews are Dead and Trump Makes it About Him".

This is fake news, which doesn't report facts, but tells viewers how to think.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:09 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Fox news is the primary place where most of "flyover," uneducated America gets their news. Fact.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:10 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Taking a look at CNN's page currently, the first article is titled "Trump Campaign Releases Racist Ad", followed by "Eleven Jews are Dead and Trump Makes it About Him".

This is fake news, which doesn't report facts, but tells viewers how to think.

Grandma here...let's use your words and coherent ideas. Why is the ad you mentioned racist or not racist themed? Are the words tweeted and spoken by Trump about himself or not? Please support your conclusions after reading the article or listening in depth.

And please remember that news you do not agree with, is not fake...it just means you do not agree with the news.

Don't you want to discern why you think this news is incorrect? Don't you want to sound knowledgeable at Thanksgiving dinner, rather than just saying " CNN ^%$*&" or I heard it on Fox. It is the ideas and facts that should be coherently and vigorously discussed and debated. Not the celebration of the suppression of news.

Reading and listening to ideas and actions of elected and other leaders gives one perspective and direction for one's own compass. It can guide us toward understanding, and once again, that "we here in America, do have more in common than that which divides us".

Last edited by corpgypsy; 11-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: CLARITY.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Grandma here...let's use your words and coherent ideas. Why is the ad you mentioned racist or not racist themed? Are the words tweeted and spoken by Trump about himself or not? Please support your conclusions after reading the article or listening in depth.

And please remember that news you do not agree with, is not fake...it just means you do not agree with the news. Don't you want to know why you think this news is incorrect? Don't you want to sound knowledgeable at dinner?
When in doubt, turn to personal attacks-leftist play number one.

Whether the ad is racist is opinion, not fact. That is not a racist ad at all. If one watches and reads the analysis within that article, one will see the entire article is full of fake news, referring to illegals as immigrants for example. We do not want illegals here, period, no matter where they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies