Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think birthright citizenship should be ended? If so, how would you prefer that be done?
No. I think the status quo is fine. 51 19.47%
Yes. I would like Trump to Issue an Executive Order, and let it go to the Supreme Court. 48 18.32%
Yes. I would like Congress to create a law of who is eligible for birthright citizenship. 53 20.23%
Yes. I would like a constitutional amendment eliminating birthright citizenship. 110 41.98%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:09 PM

62,932 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't think pregnant foreigners coming to the US to give birth is a big problem.

It is when the parents are here illegally. They get all kinds of welfare through their U.S. born kids. They overcrowd our schools also. It's unaccounted for population growth which puts added demands on our natural and social resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:12 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
What is the Einstein visa? And how did Melania Trump get one?
Nicknamed the "Einstein Visa", the EB-1 is in theory reserved for people who are highly acclaimed in their field - the government cites Pulitzer, Oscar, and Olympic winners as examples - as well as respected academic researchers and multinational executives.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43256318
Well, there ya go. No wonder they had such attendees at their wedding. I guess this can lay to rest the naysayers. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Source?
Roughly three out of four of their children — or 4 million — were born in the U.S. In 2003, 2.7 million children of illegal immigrants, or 63 percent, were born in this country.https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ids-in-US.html

Overall, illegal immigrants' children account for one of every 15 students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

One-third of the children of illegal immigrants live in poverty, nearly double the rate for children of U.S.-born parents. Importing poverty to the U.S. isn't beneficial.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Anyone thinking repealing birthright citizenship can occur with anything short of a congressional amendment is dreaming.

It’s going to take a 2/3th vote of approval from both the House and Senate, or a 2/3 vote from a convention of states (34 states) to propose and 3/4th vote of states to pass. The legislatures of 38 of the 50 states would have to pass a constitutional amendment in order for it to become law.

Anything short of that is p*****g up a rope.

Attached is an article written by James C. Ho in 2006 entitled “Defining Americanism”. Birthright Citizenship and it’s original intent under the constitution.” Ho was recently appointed to the Federal Judiciary by Donald Trump.

https://www.gibsondunn.com/wp-conten...ngAmerican.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C._Ho

Also attached is an article by a law professor who was an Assistant Attorney General in the Bush Administration detailing why birthright citizenship is settled law and can only be changed by constitutional amendment.

Settled law: Birthright citizenship and the 14th Amendment - AEI

Both of these highly qualified Republican legal scholars make it abundantly clear that this is settled law. This is just an election ploy by Donald Trump to play on the ignorance of his base to motivate them to vote. On that basis, it’s working, even though like most things Trump, it’s based upon lies.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,469 times
I think that if someone is proven illegal, the state should be able to take everything they own, house, money, bank accounts, etc. that would deter them from coming.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I think that if someone is proven illegal, the state should be able to take everything they own, house, money, bank accounts, etc. that would deter them from coming.
Agree, illegals should forfeit everything they gained by their illegal presences.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:58 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Roughly three out of four of their children — or 4 million — were born in the U.S. In 2003, 2.7 million children of illegal immigrants, or 63 percent, were born in this country.https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ids-in-US.html

Overall, illegal immigrants' children account for one of every 15 students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

One-third of the children of illegal immigrants live in poverty, nearly double the rate for children of U.S.-born parents. Importing poverty to the U.S. isn't beneficial.
(A) You’re not the person I asked for a source, unless you’re posting from multiple accounts.

(B) The information you posted has nothing to do with what I asked for a source about, which was the unsubstantiated claim about ‘5 or more children.’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies