Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody loves Medicare.

Because socializing health care is morally repugnant. It enslaves taxpayers and forces them at gunpoint to pay for other people’s head care. Remember over 50% of people don’t pay income taxes but rake in virtually all the benefits.

Anybody supporting this evil idea is a horrible person.
LOTS of people love medicare. Many of them old GOP crazies who whine about government health insurance while on government health insurance.
50% not paying income taxes is 44% actually which is mostly old and working poor. The working poor will be glad to switch places with you and pay the income tax.
Medicare has its own tax.
Letting old people die is more repugnant.
Rich and poor rake in the benefits.

Love,
Otto the Horrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 06:58 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Wow. Have you seen the draft of the new law? Is that how you know what it will be? When I went on Medicare, pretty much nothing changed - same docs, same hospitals, same everything except the cost to me went down about 80%. If we do end up with "Medicare for all" I am willing to bet it will look a lot more like today's Medicare Advantage plans or the Medicaid plans in states like mine that are run by non-profits and not the government. And you will LOVE it.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Why are Republicans so against socialized/national/single payer healthcare?

Many followers are rather unsophisticated people trapped in cold war rhetoric, but for the leadership it is all about profits. The Pharmaceutical and Insurance companies in particular are accustomed to reaping obscene profits year after year, and they want to protect that golden goose.

For the rest of us, many of whom still have elderly relatives or children with special needs or themselves have pre-existing health concerns ... the prospect is a sometimes early, sometimes horrible decline and death due to lack of resources to pay those carpetbaggers.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:30 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...th_a_23379425/

What the OP didn't provide in the crappy link was the truth...

The hospital was dealing with a severe flu outbreak & advised her not to bring the baby in. This is more of a case of a bad initial diagnosis than the hospital being over capacity.

"He proceeded to call the hospital and they said there's a really bad flu going around the ER, we wouldn't suggest bringing the baby over here because we're overcapacity at 120 per cent, so maybe talk to the mother about other options for now," she said.

Marilyn Underhill, executive director for the hospital, said Horizon always provides a bed and care even when their facilities are over capacity.

"When we are faced with such situations it may be necessary for patients to stay in the Emergency Department, or other non-traditional areas (such as ambulatory care), until a room becomes available in a nursing unit," she wrote.

"Pediatric patients are sent to the pediatric unit as soon as possible, when they are admitted. Regardless of where the patient is placed, our focus is to ensure their safety and they receive the best possible care."

Old 11-02-2018, 07:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Why are Republicans so against socialized/national/single payer healthcare?

There's no need for analysis paralysis when a question arise about right wingers' motivations.

They're against it because they've been told to be against it.

They're very compliant followers and will do as they're told.

--------------------------------------------------------

Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion, to achieve it.
Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

It's never a mystery.

I report. You decide.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LOTS of people love medicare. Many of them old GOP crazies who whine about government health insurance while on government health insurance.
50% not paying income taxes is 44% actually which is mostly old and working poor. The working poor will be glad to switch places with you and pay the income tax.

Love,
Otto the Horrible
The rich is forced to pay 90% of all taxes. “The poor”, which is over half of this country, pays zero or negative taxes but receive virtually all the benefits, food, housing, healthcare, child bearing and rearing, education, disproportionately amount of police protection etc.

Tell me that’s not the truth.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wouldn't say I love it but it is the best health plan I have ever been on, though I do have an advantage plan, not the straight Medicare which leaves a lot uncovered.

Anyway, your post pretty much illustrates the answer of why Republicans oppose universal health care. They believe that the benefits go mostly to lazy minorities while they are picking up the tab.
The rich is forced to pay 90% of all taxes. “The poor”, which is over half of this country, pays zero or negative taxes but receive virtually all the benefits, food, housing, healthcare, child bearing and rearing, education, disproportionately amount of police protection etc.

Tell me that’s not the truth.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Love,
Otto the Horrible
Who’s letting the old men die? If the parents of said old man didn’t care to leave him any money, and he didn’t bother to save for his own retirement, who is letting the old man die?

You want to play this holier than you game? Nobody is stopping you from donating money to the old man. How much are you willing to donate?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Seniors love their Medicare. Citizens of other countries that have single payer healthcare love their system. The only function health insurance companies have is to take money, skim profits, and call the shots for what treatments they will pay for. Do profit sucking insurance companies own Republicans?
Anyone who reads me knows I am an advocate for Universal Healthcare.

While the rest of the developed world has Universal Healthcare, no two countries do it the same way. Some use Single Payer. Some are strictly private insurance. Most are a mixed bag. No 2 countries that do Single Payer do it the same way. Patient satisfaction is highly variable country to country and within country.

When US people advocate for Single Payer for all I don’t know what they mean.

Most people and their employers have paid a Payroll tax their entire working lives. Medicare requires ongoing premiums because the accumulated lifetime taxes are not nearly enough to cover costs.

Medicare does not cover all costs associated with healthcare. Mds are not required to accept Medicare patients. Many providers cap the number of Medicare patients they accept.

As I understand it, about 25% of enrollees opt out of traditional Medicare for an Advantage Plan, which is private insurance mostly paid for by Medicare. There are variations within Advantage, depending on how much flexibility the insured party wants and is willing to pay for. Generally speaking the networks provided by an Advantage Plan are narrower than traditional Medicare- like an HMO or PPO.

Most enrolled in traditional Medicare have some sort of Supplimental Plan. Such plans might be former employer subsidized or a part of a military beneft. Some plans are out of pocket and then there’s Medicaid.

When you say Single Payer/ Medicare for all, what do you mean?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Seniors love their Medicare. Citizens of other countries that have single payer healthcare love their system. The only function health insurance companies have is to take money, skim profits, and call the shots for what treatments they will pay for. Do profit sucking insurance companies own Republicans?
I think seniors should have medicare and the sickest of the sick, the oldest of the old should have medicade.

Period.

If we didn't rob the system we can do this. Don't rob SS and keep freeloaders out, then your mommy and daddy can have clean sheets, 3 squares, clean cloths, and you can go visit them any time you want and just be their child/grandchild.

Oh, I AM a Republican and proud Trump voter.

Also, my hsa costs me 62.00 per mo in 2019, I insure just me and my wife is benefactor to my stuff, we have zero kids, and she insures herself.

I avoid the doctor spare for almost free preventive stuff, I take a few vitamins instead of pharms, I eat celery and every other leafy green I can, drink water some coffee and all the green tea I can find and charge myself to stay healthy with good diet. I don't drink any alcohol nor any drugs nor smoke. That all helps, especially a person with my background.

I am of the belief people's troubles are of their own making. I cannot afford trouble. I watch people. They're inconsiderate pigs for the most part. They get what they want.

Most people need a checkup from the neckup. The day you decide to live healthier, you immediately feel better.

Oh, a rolling stone gathers no moss and eat like a bear in the wild and your healthcare bill will go down. This is what I do.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-02-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies