Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,292,621 times

Advertisements

From Page 3 of the Pew Research Center's 2017 report,
America’s Complex Relationship With Guns,

"About one-in-five (22%) gun owners who say owning a gun is a very important part of their overall identity say they’ve defended themselves with a gun. By contrast, about half as many (12%) gun owners who say their ownership is not too important or not at all important to their identity have used a gun in self-defense."

So the more they love their guns, the more often they feel the need to defend themselves with their guns.

The less they love their guns, the less often they gotta defend themselves with a gun.

I wonder why gun lovers are threatened more often.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 11-02-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:38 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,542,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"About one-in-five (22%) gun owners who say owning a gun is a very important part of their overall identity say they’ve defended themselves with a gun. By contrast, about half as many (12%) gun owners who say their ownership is not too important or not at all important to their identity have used a gun in self-defense."

So the more they love their guns, the more often they feel the need to defend themselves with their guns.

The less they love their guns, the less often they gotta defend themselves with a gun.
If I was a carpenter and built a lot of houses, my tools would be very important to me. Though I wouldn't "love" my tools any more than I "love" my washing machine. (Nice try at pretending gun owners have weird emotions).

Maybe the one-in-5 who say they are very important, live in low-rent neighborhoods with more break-ins, assaults etc. And they are correct about their guns being important, and need to use them more.

Sorry to burst your gun-hating bubble. But people who own guns are usually correct about the need for them... and well aware that their need varies with their surroundings. Their evaluation of those thing is far more accurate than, say, the judgments of hysterical gun-haters such as yourself who try to assign them silly emotions they don't feel.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:11 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,431,133 times
I live in a heavily wooded rural area and had a rabid bobcat in the area recently that was very aggressive. Yes, a gun is necessary and yes I kept it close. I also have chronic problems with a group of trespassing atv'ers, several of whom are known violent felons. You never know what people like that night do when you're telling them to get out.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:56 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,057,905 times
When I worked in inner city neighborhoods, I defended myself twice from gang members, yes they were wearing "colors", and thankfully did not have to fire a shot.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,957,380 times
Quote:

Thats a conveniently ignorant analysis.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:

99% of the unarmed, fear the armed.
Who knew.

Remember this.
When people with sharp teeth and very long claws, want you to file your teeth and clip your claws, BE VERY SUSPICIOUS!
You will be intimidated and bullied sometime in your life. Can you defend the word "NO"

Old 11-03-2018, 08:10 AM

46,222 posts, read 26,988,484 times
Lot of good stuff in that report, that goes directly against anti-gunners stance.....

Thanks for sharing.....

Old 11-03-2018, 08:13 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,930,277 times
Default owning a gun is a very important part of their overall identity

I can relate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U

Old 11-03-2018, 08:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:

People identify as and say all sorts of things to rationalize their choices.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When I worked in inner city neighborhoods, I defended myself twice from gang members, yes they were wearing "colors", and thankfully did not have to fire a shot.
Sliding the shirt tail over the grip, does wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies