Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:50 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,206,352 times

Advertisements

There are also a lot of ways to obscure the fact that you are taking out more than you put in if you talk up invisible, unmeasureable things like goodwill, love, and empathy as your contributions to society.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,539,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There are also a lot of ways to obscure the fact that you are taking out more than you put in if you talk up invisible, unmeasureable things like goodwill, love, and empathy as your contributions to society.
Incorrect. The only thing indicated by such comments is what one values most. You did pose an interesting question, but if you are going to dismiss goodwill, love, and empathy as less important than money, you are really shutting down the entire conversation for anyone who doesn't put money ahead of all other considerations.

Sorry, I guess I won't be participating, as you've already dismissed me as a taker. I suppose I can live with that. *shrug*

Old 11-03-2018, 06:22 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,194,811 times
Quote:
I wonder how often people ask this question of themselves. If I tally up the public services, financial aid, and insurance payouts I have received, and compare to what I have paid in taxes, tuition, and premiums, I have paid in more than I have taken out. Then there are intangibles like knowledge transfer to co-workers and being an engine of economic growth that also work in my benefit but are harder to measure. What my parents gave to me I will give in turn to my children, paying for food, shelter, and schooling. I am in debt to my parents, but that debt will be paid off by raising my own family.

I think a lot of people in our society would simmer down a bit if they were honest about how much they have contributed, and how much they have been given. The top quintile pays about 2/3 of all income taxes, just as a data point.

Liberals often wonder why the poor have much lower voter participation rates than the rich. I have always thought that there are a fair number of poor people who know that they are a burden and don't think they have a right to guide policy by voting. At the same time, they don't hate themselves enough to vote against their interests, so as a compromise they just don't vote.
Sure, I gave Uncle Sam three years and I always pay my taxes.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:43 PM

30,161 posts, read 23,552,538 times
As has been explained to you in the past, if you don't have money, it's a lot harder to do anything for anyone, let alone yourself. You keep trying to paint this picture of how horrible it is to have money and how it's Republicans who only care about money, yet you fail, repeatedly, to ever acknowledge that even the left understands that if you have money, you have more options. Just curious - are you a communist sympathizer? They seem to usually see everything in terms of "utopia". There are a lot of ways to make a positive contribution to society that has everything to do with money.

You can't build houses on a good feeling.
You can't repair people on a handshake and a smile.
You can't feed people on hopes and wishes.
You can't clothe people on a happy thought.

The most important things that people need: food, water, shelter cannot happen without money.

When you finally understand that, the conversations will go a lot easier for you.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,539,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As has been explained to you in the past, if you don't have money, it's a lot harder to do anything for anyone, let alone yourself. You keep trying to paint this picture of how horrible it is to have money and how it's Republicans who only care about money, yet you fail, repeatedly, to ever acknowledge that even the left understands that if you have money, you have more options. Just curious - are you a communist sympathizer? They seem to usually see everything in terms of "utopia". There are a lot of ways to make a positive contribution to society that has everything to do with money.

You can't build houses on a good feeling.
You can't repair people on a handshake and a smile.
You can't feed people on hopes and wishes.
You can't clothe people on a happy thought.

The most important things that people need: food, water, shelter cannot happen without money.

When you finally understand that, the conversations will go a lot easier for you.
I agree with you that those efforts take money, but they also take work. People who don't have much money to contribute can still make a big difference by giving of their time. Of course money matters, but it isn't the only thing that matters. I believe that was the poster's point. As for the comment about Republicans, I don't think it's particularly relevant, as I know people in both parties who give of both time and money, but based on the OP's posting history, I would say they are probably a Republican, or at least right-leaning.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:57 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,400,335 times
no.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:06 PM

10,492 posts, read 6,105,032 times
Quote:
I wonder how often people ask this question of themselves. If I tally up the public services, financial aid, and insurance payouts I have received, and compare to what I have paid in taxes, tuition, and premiums, I have paid in more than I have taken out. Then there are intangibles like knowledge transfer to co-workers and being an engine of economic growth that also work in my benefit but are harder to measure. What my parents gave to me I will give in turn to my children, paying for food, shelter, and schooling. I am in debt to my parents, but that debt will be paid off by raising my own family.

I think a lot of people in our society would simmer down a bit if they were honest about how much they have contributed, and how much they have been given. The top quintile pays about 2/3 of all income taxes, just as a data point.

Liberals often wonder why the poor have much lower voter participation rates than the rich. I have always thought that there are a fair number of poor people who know that they are a burden and don't think they have a right to guide policy by voting. At the same time, they don't hate themselves enough to vote against their interests, so as a compromise they just don't vote.
Huh?

I was following you until your last paragraph, which then went off at a 90 degree angle.
People don't vote because: they either can't get to a polling station; don't feel like there is anyone that represents them; don't think their vote will make a difference; don't appreciate that their vote counts; have to work or are just not interested in politics.
I can't imagine a single person having some kind of moral epiphany that they shouldn't vote because it's not their rightful place.

Being 'poor' by the way does not equate to being 'a burden'. I was raised poor in a monetary sense but my family still worked incredibly hard for what they had.

As to the main content of your post about net gain, yes I believe I have contributed positively since I was a school teacher for many years and continue to teach albeit in a reduced capacity.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:07 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,238,413 times
Quote:
Paying taxes to murder babies is your idea of "contributing" while goodwil, love, and empathy are frowned upon?

Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,131,904 times
My net positive is that pay as little taxes as possible thus not funding many deadbeats and getting to keep more of my money. That’s a net positive for me.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:13 PM

10,492 posts, read 6,105,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My net positive is that pay as little taxes as possible thus not funding many deadbeats and getting to keep more of my money. That’s a net positive for me.
The OP asked if you were a net positive to society, not if you were a net positive to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies