Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I had no idea this was a forbidden term now.

Agriculture Sec. Sonny Perdue: Florida governor's race 'so cotton-pickin' important'
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/04/p...tis/index.html
The left has lost all grip on reality. Soon, no one will be allowed to utter a single syllable because it might "offend" someone.

The holier than thou attitude that some English speaking people must "educate themselves" is exactly what is wrong in this country. Up there on their pedestals, preening themselves, bleating about "education" but can't understand what "slang" means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No sillier than the conservative outrage over 'Christmas cups'. That said, my mother used to say that all the time and I am 100% certain she wasn't trying to inject race into the conversation.
Quote:
I mean, honestly, people in the south do use this term. "Now wait just a cotton-pickin minute' my mother used to say. And she was the least racist person I know. That WAS many years ago but when I was in the south - it was a pretty common term.

I will say, I've NEVER heard the phrase 'cotton-pickin important'
Or "cotton pickin' mind", as in, "Are you out of your cotton pickin' mind?" I picked that up from a cartoon or movie when I was a kid. No one threw a fit about it back then, and like you said, it's not unusual to hear in certain parts of the country. I suppose, according to some, your mother "just needs to educate herself". I don't know anyone who ever used that term to be using it in a racist way - I didn't even know it was considered racist when I first heard it as a kid. I just knew it as a different way to say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Who talks like that? A man of his position shouldn't be talking like an uneducated inbred country hick. It's unbecoming.

Bless your pea pickin heart.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:25 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Who talks like that? A man of his position shouldn't be talking like an uneducated inbred country hick. It's unbecoming.
"I don't feel no ways tired...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-H9BOIYhgc

Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Perhaps when the English speaking educate themselves.

Educate themselves?

Really?

No, what you mean to say is knuckle under to PC liberal indoctrination. Many white people picked cotton as well, and that term has nothing to do with race, rather urgency.
But that does not stop "outrage" by those who are raised to have chips on their shoulders and are generally malcontents in life.
Also note that in most every single case liberals/Democrats are not excoriated for such things, but conservatives/moderates/Republicans are made out to be horrible and/or racists.

`

Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Last spring the OKC Thunder's TV play-by-play man stated on air during a game that "Russell Westbrook was playing out of his 'cotton pickin' mind". The announcer was suspended and forced to apologize. His contract was not renewed for this season.

As others on here, I heard this phrase growing, and did not ascribe it as a racist comment. Particularly here in Oklahoma where just about anybody who grew up rural in the southwest part of the state prior to the 1960s spent time chopping, picking, and pulling cotton regardless of race.

However, it appears that in the African American community (which obviously makes up about 80% of NBA players) are sensitive to the term given their history. This hit home a bit when I was spending time in Mississippi in 2001 during the controversy over the Mississippi state flag. During a radio call in show a man called in and said "If we'd have known that slavery was going to cause all these problems 150 years later, we probably should have picked our own damn cotton."
He was trying to make a joke, but it made me realize why blacks could be sensitive about the term "cotton picker".

Old 11-04-2018, 10:42 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is an odd place to put that adjective--awkward--it doesn't belong. "Cotton-pickin important" is very odd term. I've actually never heard anyone use that adjective.

Kind of like Desantis with "monkey it up."

They are odd terms that most people do not use, but that these guys went out of their way to use.
I wonder why? Most people know!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
A couple of my now dead older relatives helped pick cotton. It was a hard but honest job. There is nothing wrong with that term.

My Welsh dad did, as an older child. Said his fingers hurt every day.

That slang term is used as dang or darn would be in a sentence.

That darn dog. That cotton pickin dog.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
I mean, honestly, people in the south do use this term. "Now wait just a cotton-pickin minute' my mother used to say. And she was the least racist person I know. That WAS many years ago but when I was in the south - it was a pretty common term.

I will say, I've NEVER heard the phrase 'cotton-pickin important'
I live in the South and I haven't heard that term used in a very long time, way more than 20 years now. It's just not a part of people everyday language, and I live in one of the original slaves states where cotton was king.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The left has lost all grip on reality. Soon, no one will be allowed to utter a single syllable because it might "offend" someone.
If anyone here watches The Walking Dead, we will be talking like Jadis' garbage people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's not a matter of education, but of indoctrination; the Absolutely Politically Correct see any idiom which doesn't fit their definition of "sensitivity" as an attempt to turn back the clock. It's a scene out of [i]1984[/I
I have made the 1984 correlation a few times lately as this PC crap becomes more and more ridiculous!!

Tennessee Ernie Ford would be getting a real slew of hate for his nickname wouldn't he?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is an odd place to put that adjective--awkward--it doesn't belong. "Cotton-pickin important" is very odd term. I've actually never heard anyone use that adjective.

Kind of like Desantis with "monkey it up."

They are odd terms that most people do not use, but that these guys went out of their way to use.
I’ve heard the phrase “ cotton picking” used all my life.Its very common in the deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies