Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times

Advertisements

Apparently, Judge Napolitano was on Fox & Friends this morning explaining that Whitaker cannot be acting AG because he is not (a) a recess appointment; (b) deputy AG; or (c) currently holding a Senate-confirmed position at the DoJ. He said that some Watergate-era laws prohibit anyone from being acting AG unless they tick one of those boxes.

Take it for what you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,486 posts, read 824,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Just saw an update that senior White House aides to Trump were concerned about promoting Whitaker to acting AG, because he doesn't have the credentials and isn't qualified for the position.

Trump told them that he talked to Whitaker several times beforehand, and trusts that Whitaker A) will be loyal to Trump and B) will not recuse himself.

Again, Whitaker is on record having said Mueller's investigation team is a "lynch mob." No wonder Trump hand picked him.

Sessions to Trump became the polar opposite of Holder to Obama.

I hated Holder, but at least he had his priorities to the President in order. Sessions should have NEVER taken the job. He was on record saying that he thought he was being spied on and thought his phones might be bugged.

Not good if the head of the Justice Department fears his own agencies.

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He fired him because he dishonestly accepted the position as AG without telling the president that the first thing he would do after being sworn in, was to recuse himself from any and all things related to the president.

No, of course the AG is not supposed to be a sycophantic slave to the president, but he also needs to be impartial enough to perform his duties where the president is involved. Sessions decided from the very beginning that he cannot, and will not.
Do you know what "recusal" means, and why someone would recuse themselves? Do you know what "recusal" means, and why someone would recuse themselves? Better yet, do you recall why Sessions recused himself?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:44 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Apparently, Judge Napolitano was on Fox & Friends this morning explaining that Whitaker cannot be acting AG because he is not (a) a recess appointment; (b) deputy AG; or (c) currently holding a Senate-confirmed position at the DoJ. He said that some Watergate-era laws prohibit anyone from being acting AG unless they tick one of those boxes.

Take it for what you will.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that info.

I've also seen some folks say that, because of the outspoken comments against the Mueller probe that Whitaker has made publicly, that he should not be allowed to oversee the very investigation that he's badmouthed.

Be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. Crazy times we live in.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:48 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing that info.

I've also seen some folks say that, because of the outspoken comments against the Mueller probe that Whitaker has made publicly, that he should not be allowed to oversee the very investigation that he's badmouthed.

Be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. Crazy times we live in.
Here is an analytical opinion piece co-authored by Kellyanne Conway's husband on this topic: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/o...itutional.html

Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 PM

57,223 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Just saw an update that senior White House aides to Trump were concerned about promoting Whitaker to acting AG, because he doesn't have the credentials and isn't qualified for the position.

Trump told them that he talked to Whitaker several times beforehand, and trusts that Whitaker A) will be loyal to Trump and B) will not recuse himself.

Again, Whitaker is on record having said Mueller's investigation team is a "lynch mob." No wonder Trump hand picked him.
Although he had 5 years as a federal prosecutor he sure seems like a political hack, not the type of person for the head of DOJ.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:02 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He fired him because he dishonestly accepted the position as AG without telling the president that the first thing he would do after being sworn in, was to recuse himself from any and all things related to the president.

No, of course the AG is not supposed to be a sycophantic slave to the president, but he also needs to be impartial enough to perform his duties where the president is involved. Sessions decided from the very beginning that he cannot, and will not.
This post summarizes the thread perfectly.

This is it's complement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I wouldn't be sure of that at all, at least when it comes to Sessions. The guy has a real ability to survive, and he's a lot hardier than he appears.

Others may go, but I'm sure Sessions will only leave when Jeff decides it's time. Even if Pence was to take over the White House, I'm pretty sure Sessions will remain in place as the AG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump would have to a) find willing stooges to replace them and b) get them confirmed by the Senate.
Who would replace Sessions?
Some blatant Trump toadie, with loyalty to Trump not the Constitution, and with a directive to shut down all investigations into Trump?
AG has to be confirmed by the Senate.
We got Senate, yes we do, we got Senate, how bout you?

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-08-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 03:21 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm still waiting to see Trump put America and Americans first. All I see is him doing is putting Trump first.
'I Think I Am a Great Moral Leader' Donald Trump

Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Great job emperor Trump...stable genius.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:24 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm still waiting to see Trump put America and Americans first. All I see is him doing is putting Trump first.
Ironic as the guy before him became a millionaire by selling books about his presidency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies