Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 10:25 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Okay, this is my first comment on this video as well as the first time I have watched it. And I promise you, I am being as objective as I can be. What I saw in this video was a woman reach to take the mic, and Acosta's initial reaction was to push her arm away. After doing so, he says "pardon me mam". So look, you can try to spin it however you want, but I believe, if people are actually willing to be honest here, you can clearly see he quickly and with moderate force pushed this woman's arm down when she went to retrieve the microphone. After doing so, he quickly said "pardon me mam". But in the heat of the moment, Acosta did indeed lash out, however slightly, at this woman who was trying to take his microphone away. It was a brief lapse in judgement in the heat of the moment, but it did happen.

Now personally, I can understand this in a way. I have been engaged in some heated debates before, and the last thing I would have wanted to happen would be to have someone stop me when I'm just getting going. However, this was not a debate between friends after work. This was a White House press briefing. And I'm sorry, but Jim Acosta definitely breached protocol with that little stunt. I have heard so many on this site speak about how during the Kavanaugh hearings, Kavanaugh's defense of himself showed he lacked the proper temperament to be a judge. So, if that is the case, I would say Mr. Acosta has shown today that he currently seems to lack the temperament to be in his position as well, so maybe this "timeout" isn't such a bad idea. At some point, the left and the right must accept that if we are going to make grand pronouncements about the behavior of those we do not support, we have to be willing to be just as critical of those people we do support.

PS. I haven't read through the entire thread, but I am assuming there have been users using words like "assault" and "abuse" when referring to what happens in this video. I am sorry, but I honestly feel like that's stretching the truth a bit here. Yes, it definitely looks like, for a moment, his desire to keep that mic in his hand got the best of him, and he lashed out a bit. But I don't think the man actually intended to harm this woman.
I disagree. Striking someone even during a lapse of judgment is assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
As far as I'm concerned Acosta's citizenship should be suspended. He is a subversive and in violation of the Sedition Act .
No, he's just an ahole

Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No, he's just an ahole
A subversive enemy of the people and country ahole with a media platform.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong. Acosta struck her arm to try to keep her hand away from the mic. That's assault.
Personally, I hope laws are never so heavily enforced that pushing a person's arm away from you results in you catching assault charges. I mean yes, legally, this could possibly be judged as an assault. However, I don't think his intention was to harm/assault this woman. And let me be frank, I am no fan of Jim Acosta. However, I am also not a fan of railroading people. We see this happen far to often in our society today, the smallest lapses in judgement blown far out of proportion, just so we can feed our nations insatiable appetite for news/gossip/hate/etc. Acosta has been duly punished for his transgressions, and that should honestly be the end of it, unless the female in question decides to file charges against him for assault. And in that case, the courts will decide.

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The role of the free press is not to agree with the president. It is to ask him questions, even questions the president might not want to answer and even finds unfair.
Acosta was not asking questions though. He was making accusations. He posed a no win question to Trump to shame him openly. That is not newsworthy. So what if Trump describes the mass of people marching to our borders as an invasion? Trump's message is still legit. We welcome them in as long as they go through the legal process. But nooo, Acosta wanted to trap Trump and he got burned for it. Idiot.

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
She initiated force on Acosta by trying to grab the microphone from his hand. If we are going by strict adherence to the Non-Aggression Principle then she assaulted Acosta.

Legal fiction is of course different. I don't know what a court would decide.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Acosta is an A-HOLE. He is a liberal open borders activist disguised as a reporter that instead of asking the question and letting other reporters have their opportunity to ask their questions he wants to debate his views with the President while bashing him and be the center of attention. He does this all the time.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
I never said it wasn't an assault. I said I felt like that's a bit of a stretch. But yes, in a strictly legal sense, this could be seen as an assault.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
I love how Trump says to the next reporter who proceeds to defend Acosta "Well, I'm not a big fan of yours either".

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
She initiated force on Acosta by trying to grab the microphone from his hand. If we are going by strict adherence to the Non-Aggression Principle then she assaulted Acosta.

Legal fiction is of course different. I don't know what a court would decide.

oh please....Acosta is an A-HOLE. He is an activist disguised as a reporter with an agenda, why CNN sends him to the WH is beyond me (well we know why, it's CNN)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies