Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,508,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Acosta was most rude to his colleagues, whom he took away time for them to ask their questions.
It's pretty funny that right-wingers are suddenly so concerned about the White House press corp not getting to ask their questions. So far, I have not seen any reporter (added: who was at the briefing) claim to be upset at Acosta. Even conservative Ben Shapiro said what the WH claims happened did not happen.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-08-2018 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: added the part in parentheses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,353,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trumps first mistake was letting Acosta have a turn period. The transcripts proved what happened you don’t even have to watch the video. It’s truly frightening that Trump supporters are just blindly going along with all of this. Knowing that Acosta didn’t hurt, karate chop, etc.
It wasnt a mistake. It was a planned distraction from:
The replacement of sessions with a anti-mueller toady
The mid term loses
And whatever other idiocy is going to happen this week.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,525,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You need to watch the longer version of the video, not the doctored InfoWars version that Sarah Sanders sent out.

The intern reached for the mic across Acosta's body. Acosta, while asking a question of the president was "talking" with his free arm and came down on the intern's arm briefly. It was not intentional and it happened because she was reaching for the mic. Now before anyone tries to say I am saying the intern was at fault, I am not saying that. She was put in an awkward situation by both Acosta and the president. I feel bad for her.

I agree that the woman intern should not have been called on to take the microphone from him. The President should have had him removed from the room by a guard before the scene escalated. It looked to me like Acosta was attempting to push the lady intern's arm away. In any case, he is a "man pushing a woman" which is not acceptable; he put his hand on her in a nasty manner. Totally no class.

Now we can call him "Jim the Accoster". He's been asking for trouble for a very long time; has no respect for anyone. I hope he gets suspended by CNN and barred from the press room.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,353,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I agree with these assessments of what happened and it does make conservatives look ridiculous when using the word assault in this situation. The last thing we want is to go down the left's road of ridiculousness as it has lead us to where we are now. Acosta is a gigantic a$$ and Trump can be one too, but Trump is still president and can decide who sits in the WH press briefings and who doesn't. Get over it.

If Trump had simply said he was tired of people like Acosta not letting others have a turn to ask questions, it would have been easy. Instead they went with a lie.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,596,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If Trump had simply said he was tired of people like Acosta not letting others have a turn to ask questions, it would have been easy. Instead they went with a lie.
No lies.

He told April Ryan that.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,525,585 times
Quote:
The cynic in me says it was not a mistake at all that Trump called on Acosta. It's classic bait and switch on a day where the president knew Sessions was about to go and a day after the GOP lost the House. If you don't want to hear from a reporter, don't call on that reporter. You basically ignore him and make it almost useless for him to be there. How it played out guaranteed it would be news for almost 24 hours now. Pretty much what the White House wanted.

Bull. It would have happened to him sooner or later. No class whatsoever.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:43 PM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I agree that the woman intern should not have been called on to take the microphone from him. The President should have had him removed from the room by a guard before the scene escalated. It looked to me like Acosta was attempting to push the lady intern's arm away. In any case, he is a "man pushing a woman" which is not acceptable; he put his hand on her in a nasty manner. Totally no class.
That's exactly what happened. And if you watch the presser in its entirety on the C-SPAN video, not one other journalist used physical force/intimidation against the intern to try to keep the mic after POTUS had already called on another journalist as Acosta did.

Quote:
Now we can call him "Jim the Accoster". He's been asking for trouble for a very long time; has no respect for anyone. I hope he gets suspended by CNN and barred from the press room.
Exactly so.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,581,362 times
Quote:
The cynic in me says it was not a mistake at all that Trump called on Acosta. It's classic bait and switch on a day where the president knew Sessions was about to go and a day after the GOP lost the House. If you don't want to hear from a reporter, don't call on that reporter. You basically ignore him and make it almost useless for him to be there. How it played out guaranteed it would be news for almost 24 hours now. Pretty much what the White House wanted.
Yes, I agree with this 100%. It was planned.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM

18,424 posts, read 8,252,566 times
Quote:
So...you've never seen all the times Acosta threw a fit because they didn't call on him.....yelled over other reporters, interrupted other reporters in the middle of their questions, and even interrupted when someone was answering
They called on him first to get him out of the way so he wouldn't do that again.....and damned if he didn't do it anyway

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
In typical Trump fashion, he doesn't even allow Acosta to finish his question before firing back at him. He can't answer questions he doesn't allow to be asked. Then he starts his bizarre attack on Acosta and CNN. I watched the entire press conference. Trump kept going back to CNN in snide little comments. He's unhinged.

That's funny. You quoted the transcript but did you even read it? Because it appeared to me that Acosta did ask his question - why did you characterize it (the caravan) as such (an invasion)? And Trump answered - because I consider it one, you and I have a difference in opinion. Note that Trump allows that reasonable people may disagree but the media considers their opinion to be truth and any difference of opinion to be a lie.

And Acosta wanted to ask a second question, to which he is not entitled. Eight times the President said that's enough and called on another person (Peter). Finally Acosta just blurted out the question - on Russia, are you concerned about indictments. And Trump answered question #2, no he isn't concerned at all because it's a hoax.

Incredibly, Acosta wanted to ask yet another question and that's when Trump said enough again and laid into him for how he treats Sarah and is a rude person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies