Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,306,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Dont cherry pick years. Note I am not for a 15 dollar minimum wage but skipping from 1945 to 1984 is cheesy.
1950 .75 = 7.85
1956 1.00 = 8.28
1960 1.00 = 8.52
1967 1.30 = 12.18
1973 1.60 = 9.09
1979 2.90 = 10.06

Note many years listed were years the wage was raised.

I find some people a bit ironic supporting local preemption laws like Missouri and Alabama which forbid local minimum wages out of one side of their mouth and talking about local control on the other.
Ottomobeale, I chose Febuary1968 when the FMW rate's value was $160/Hr. and at its peak purchasing power. ($1.60)(1.25) = $2/Hr.
February 1968 $2.00 = $14.76 in September 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
... I’m among those that advocate a minimum wage rate gradually increased to higher purchasing power and thereafter monitored and (when necessary to retain its targeted purchasing power), it should be updated prior to New Year’s date of the following year. In my opinion, annual increases of 12% until the rate achieves 125% of its February 1968 purchasing power is sensible. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Back in the mid-90's, when there was an effort to raise the minimum wage, Clinton was opposed to it, as many Democrats (or Wobblycrats as Jim Hightower labels them), but when the 1996 election was coming up, thinking they'd gain more votes by raising the minimum wage, they finally raised it. So let's not get your hopes up with these politicians wearing corporate clothing.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
... I sincerely hope the Democrat majority House does not waste time passing a higher Federal Minimum Wage that will most certainly be killed by the Senate.
Middle-aged mom, I suppose Republicans are likely to hinder or otherwise block passage of a meaningful federal wage rate increase bill. Its only two years to 2020 and running on this minimum wage rate issue would be of great advantage to Democrats. The Democratic majority Congress would be fools if they pass anything less than a strong rate increase that's will be pegged to the urban cost-price index number.

But the party that didn't continue to fight after winning the 2008 elections, may again do the same now.
In 2010, when Democrats continued to acquiescing to Republicans, I reregistered became a Green Party voter.
Although environmental issues are very critical, if we don't get a handle on our economy, we can't properly protect our environment or accomplish much else. Refraining from contributing my vote to Democratic candidates winning pluralities is the only way I can demonstrate my dissatisfaction with Democrats acquiescing to Republicans.

I respect conservatives that strive to affect our nation's policies both when they're the majority or the minority. Populism is not blindly going along with what's popular; populism is supporting what you believe is to our entire nation aggregate best interests.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
... The more an employer has to pay ( Wage and benefits) to recruit and retain employees, the more incentive there is to substitute technology for manpower. ...
Middle-aged mom, automation reduces per unit costs and/or improves quality and/or consistency of those products’ quality. It has not and will not be to USA’s net economic detriment.

Automation tools, assembly lines, and methods require labor to design, create, maintain, and repair them even if they may not require many people to operate them.
Automated production, no less than the production of any other services or goods products, requires production supporting labor and enterprises.

Automation has always been, and I expect it will continue to be to our nation's best interest. To the extent that labor's cost is less, automation introduction is delayed. This is typical of our world's poorest economies.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:08 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
You can raise the minimal wage as much as you want, but a fool and his money are soon parted

Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Typically, increasing wages without a corresponding increase in productivity merely creates inflation. Those of us who are retired and on fixed incomes hate inflation with a deep burning passion, so if you want to pi$$ off a large portion of voters, go for you drastic increase in minimum wage.

Of course all those burger flipper can say they got laid off from a much higher paying job.....

A large portion of voters are for increases in minimum wage actually, especially in red states. I find it interesting that you are more concerned about some abstract economic theory which might lead to inflation over a period of years, consequently sucking up more of your SS than necessary over the very real possibility that medicare and ss, the very thing your life depends on, will be drastically cut next year to pay for tax cuts for billionaires and corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Get rid of the open borders and reduce immigration, work visas, and increase enforce against illegal immigration and that will pressure the market to raise wages while at the same time put downward pressure on inflation. Plus it'll rid neighborhoods of an eye and ear sore. That's killing 3 or 4 birds with one stone.
I wasn't aware we had open borders, are you sure this is america you're referring to, and what will reducing immigration and work visas actually do?

Old 12-30-2018, 03:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
We will soon have a chance to find out how raising the minimum wage will affect people in many different states with different COLs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-hikes-n953046

Old 12-30-2018, 03:53 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You can raise the minimal wage as much as you want, but a fool and his money are soon parted
Who says people who make lower wages are the only ones who spend their money poorly? Sure, some do, but I've also seen people who make better than a middle class income waste in on frivolous vehicles/clothing/jewelry/phones/lavish weddings, etc. , but then can't cover themselves in an emergency. There's another thread on this forum that's discussing that right now.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:08 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Sounds like a recipe for runaway inflation.
And that screws the folks living on a fixed income.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Except states are relying on a 10 year old minimum wage to keep from paying a livable wage. Raise it on the federal level and the states can go up from there?
Yeah, I'm not sure how keeping it the same for ten years makes any sense to anyone at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies