Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Of course now they're trying to angle for PTSD since shooter was allegedly in the Marines before, since all veterans are damaged and ticking time bombs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
A sheriff sergeant and a CHP also ran in and the Sargent was killed. And both were armed. Didn’t Trump said he would have ran into the building with the gunman inside? I’d like to see him try.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Of course now they're trying to angle for PTSD since shooter was allegedly in the Marines before, since all veterans are damaged and ticking time bombs.

Sounds like post-Vietnam. I think my own family was expecting me to go crazy on them when I got back.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
The problem with the "both sides" approach is that you assume that people want the best for this country. The citizens of bumfork, AR don't care about the school shootings in relation to their right to arm up no matter what. The GOP is so far into the pocket of the NRA (most of them, some exceptions) that they are not going to approach the problem properly. This is what we call reality.

We have to accept reality in order to change anything.

I really wonder if people haven't seen enough. Suppression of voter rights, the SCOTUS picking Presidents, a candidates brother making sure he wins, Kemp now in GA - the guy who RUNS the Elections and counts the vote, not recusing himself and setting things up so he has the advantage.

Do you really think if you sat down with Mr. Kemp and said "Friend, this isn't the American Way" that he would listen? Of course not!

Millions were slaughtered in the Vietnam War. Did most Americans care at the time? Nope. But perhaps those who marched in DC 700,000 strong made a difference.

As it stands now nothing is going to change. It will get worse.

In a large sense, it's a "male" created problem. Remember the old days when Women got together and got MADD? Well, they haven't yet....maybe they are scared of their own family members?

To think that any woman (other than the small NRA contingent) would vote for more lax gun laws or for pols that are NRA aligned is fantastic. But they do - in droves.

Nothing will change until the people rise up. Promise.

Oh, and as per my other post, mental health will not change. Americans are generally unhappy and by most measurements that is getting worse. These things don't turn on a dime.

It's just part of the fall of the American Empire. Mad Max instead of civil society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's sad that so many of our vets return home with PTSD. None of us knows what they see and hear where they are deployed. I think the VA has failed our vets and I hope they will do a better job of getting these folks the help they need.

I think this country as a whole fails the mentally ill in general. There is such a stigma on common diseases like anxiety and depression. Is it no wonder that people who suffer with those illnesses are hesitant to seek the help they need before they can progress to something much more dangerous, both for the individual and for others. We have a mental health crisis in this country, and until the health industry addresses it, sadly these types of situations probably will continue to happen.

My heart goes out to the families and victims of today's shootings. I don't know what the answer is to tragedies like this one. What I do know is that people in power need to get together, both sides, and figure out what the hell we need to do. Not allowing the NRA to run segments of our government would be a good start. And before anybody jumps on me, I'm not advocating taking everybody's guns away. But our politicians need to grow a backbone and quit being so greedy by allowing contributions from big corporations to stunt their common sense.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
He might have purchased the handgun legally in California, but the magazine he could have went across the border into Nevada.
...and if they were illegal in Nevada, he could have got one in Arizona or Utah... but US laws (and enforcement) generally stop at the border so you never really do catch that rabbit. Mexico is awash in that stuff too and cutting off legal sales of a desirable product tends to create black markets.

Not to mention how much of that stuff isn't tracked and is already in civilian hands... thanks to previous threats of new legislation the gun folks have long been hoarding mags and there are A LOT of 'em.

Nevermind that a decent shooter can reload a mag in only a couple seconds so using a 26 rd mag vs 3 CA legal 10 rd mags isn't gonna do much to slow a shooter down anyway.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's sad that so many of our vets return home with PTSD. None of us knows what they see and hear where they are deployed. I think the VA has failed our vets and I hope they will do a better job of getting these folks the help they need.

I think this country as a whole fails the mentally ill in general. There is such a stigma on common diseases like anxiety and depression. Is it no wonder that people who suffer with those illnesses are hesitant to seek the help they need before they can progress to something much more dangerous, both for the individual and for others. We have a mental health crisis in this country, and until the health industry addresses it, sadly these types of situations probably will continue to happen.

My heart goes out to the families and victims of today's shootings. I don't know what the answer is to tragedies like this one. What I do know is that people in power need to get together, both sides, and figure out what the hell we need to do. Not allowing the NRA to run segments of our government would be a good start. And before anybody jumps on me, I'm not advocating taking everybody's guns away. But our politicians need to grow a backbone and quit being so greedy by allowing contributions from big corporations to stunt their common sense.
As long as you have war, there will be vets with PTSD. It's not just veterans that have PTSD, civilians get PTSD too. Not all PTSD sufferers have a violent reaction to re-experiencing their trauma. PTSD has become a catch all phrase to explain away all kinds of behavior.

We have always had violent individuals in our society. The difference now is that we sensationalize it and replay it over and over on a 24/7 news cycle and use it to score political points.

The NRA has very little power over the government. You give it to much credit. Pharmaceuticals spent $240 million on lobbying in 2016, Insurers spent $157 million on lobbying in 2016, Planned Parenthood spent $38 million in 2016, while the NRA spent $3.2 million in 2016. Comparatively, the NRA spends very little on lobbying. Many firearm owners do NOT belong to the NRA. It's the threat of losing rights that influences votes, not the NRA.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Nowhere is safe any longer from homegrown terror. We now all have to train our children in avoiding social and public places and having constant drills at school and work for "active shooter" situations.

For some reason this has never happened in American history before. What changed? Well, that is quite evident. It starts with a G and the glorification of them instead of - as in the old days - just being a tool that a relatively few needed and kept up on a rack.
I'm not sure why guns became a thing. There were always hobbyists but mostly guns were for getting food in rural areas. Now people seem obsessed with firepower just for fun or to feed unhealthy obsessions.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
David Ian Long, white, aged 29, heavily tattooed, died from self-inflicted gunshot wound.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/ian-long/

https://abc13.com/thousand-oaks-shoo...-know/4645948/

Too bad he didn't off himself before he entered the bar and started shooting.
Yesterday, he, like most of us, was a nobody. Today, his name is a headline and subject of press conferences.

He will likely inspire the next whack job.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Most memoirs I have read indicate some of this. That's from a selected population, of course, but they don't deny it. Same with dozens of Vietnam memoirs.

The suicide rates among vets are so for a reason. The same reason.

When you have millions of people who have been there and done that, you will have a certain (fairly high) percentage who are going to be affected.

We'd have to leave the real numbers to some studies. But given the number of suicides, wouldn't it be fair to say that many of those people may have been "ticking" if they hadn't???

Anyway, the only place this matters is in a very general sense...that is, to militarize large portions of our population when it isn't 100% needed for defense causes a lot of costs and repercussions for our society.

There are always reasons...and cause and effect. Sometimes it's that daddy spanked them. Other times it may be their militarization. Other times maybe women didn't like them. There are 100's of things that make us who we are.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm not sure why guns became a thing. There were always hobbyists but mostly guns were for getting food in rural areas. Now people seem obsessed with firepower just for fun or to feed unhealthy obsessions.
Guns aren't just tools or hobbyist entertainment in America, or a bad habit... they are symbols of individual freedom and independence. They now serve the same purpose for followers of the American Individualist Philosophy (about 1/2 of the US population btw) as the cross does for Christians.

Banning a symbol is not a simple proposition... do it and there will be widespread resistance, more than the Law can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies