Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Of course now they're trying to angle for PTSD since shooter was allegedly in the Marines before, since all veterans are damaged and ticking time bombs.

The action this person took (you know, that shooting thing) probably plays a part in speculation about PTSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sounds like post-Vietnam. I think my own family was expecting me to go crazy on them when I got back.
It is said that the 1950's Dragnet era was the most dangerous in LA history, surpassing the 80's and 90's drug gang wars. Many point to the large mass returning WWII and Korean War veterans, compared to relatively fewer Vietnam veterans and their PTSD

Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm not sure why guns became a thing. There were always hobbyists but mostly guns were for getting food in rural areas. Now people seem obsessed with firepower just for fun or to feed unhealthy obsessions.
This is the obvious reasoning.

They became "a thing" due to the NRA and the buying of Politicians.

I went to military school, shot rifles at camp and even did some skeet shooting. But I grew out of it and pursued hobbies that didn't involve more and more killing power. Now I'm taking Archery lessons.

Sometimes winning is losing. The gun nuts won.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is said that the 1950's Dragnet era was the most dangerous in LA history, surpassing the 80's and 90's drug gang wars. Many point to the large mass returning WWII and Korean War veterans, compared to relatively fewer Vietnam veterans and their PTSD
Probably a distraction in some sense. It is very true that massive amounts of PTSD were brought home after both conflicts, but most of it was suppressed. It's wasn't "manly" to complain.

There is a lot of proof that violence is passed on and on - it changes forms from wife and child beating to self-harm and self-hated to "hatred of the other" and so forth, but I think it has been proven without a doubt that dysfunction is a disease which spreads.

Our culture tends to glorify the exceptions who survive and prosper despite it, while not addressing the larger millions who don't.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, news conference on now.
Former Marine with a history of contact with the police.
Involved in a collision and some sort of altercation in a bar in 2015.

There was some sort of disturbance at his home in April. Reportedly, he was evaluated and it was determined he was not a danger to himself or others, at that time. Mental health professionals do not have crystal balls.

The gun was legal.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20171...Austin-rampage

An illegal alien can even go on a mass shooting spree.
Anyone can go on a mass shooting spree.

In the US, it happens to be white male citizens who go off on the most spectacular sprees.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
This is normal in America. Next week there will be another. If only we had even more guns in circulation, then we'd all finally be safe!

1,081 posts, read 548,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I went to military school, shot rifles at camp and even did some skeet shooting. But I grew out of it and pursued hobbies that didn't involve more and more killing power. Now I'm taking Archery lessons.

As I posted just a page before, the NRA spends very little comparatively on lobbying. It's not the NRA influencing politicians and votes, it's the threat of restricting rights that changes the votes (and hence the politicians' continued employment security.) After the Brady Bill, politicians learned that voting for Gun Control results in loss of voter support.

Your archery is just as lethal as a hand gun. As an experienced archer, I can tell you that. And yes, there has been a bow used in a school shooting.

Can we now call you a bow nut because you use a bow for sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
His Social Media scrubbed.
Or perhaps non- existent.

Or he used aliases not yet known to LE.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Other than blaming the NRA and "gun nuts" , you've haven't proved why this is now a "thing"

Firearms have been a part of this country longer than you and I have been born. A mere 45-50 years ago one could have a rifle delivered to their house out of the Sears catalog. The even black AR has been available to the public since the late 60's. 30 years ago I remember seeing shotguns in racks in the back of pickups in high school parking lots , granted in rural areas. And overall, violence in our society has been on a down hill trend. Other than two segments. The mass shooter, and inner cities. The rest of the country and it's millions of firearms go about their daily activities with zero fatalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies