Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times

Advertisements

https://www.cchrflorida.org/our-vete...for-no-reason/

https://www.counselheal.com/articles...-diagnoses.htm

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300493676.html

https://www.theamericanconservative....rug-addiction/

Last edited by vkhmini; 11-08-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thoughts & prayers. Another senseless shooting.

This young man was a US Marine with PTSD. Is it time to have that difficult conversation about gun ownership and our veterans who have returned from war?

Because if there's anybody I trust to know how to handle a gun and be educated on gun safety, it's military veterans. They absolutely know how to safely own and use a firearm. But at the same time, do we want folks who have been to war and seen terrible things and are suffering with mental illness problems back on US soil to have guns?

Is there a line to be drawn....is there a conversation to be had when it comes to 2nd amendment freedoms and allowing veterans with PTSD to own guns? Because first off, the suicide rate for veterans with PTSD is astronomical.

And now, this is the second mass shooting committed by a US military veteran. Ian Long, Marine, killed 11 people last night in California before killing himself. And almost a year ago to the day (Nov 5, 2017), a US Air Force veteran, shot and killed 16 people at a church in Texas.

I'm not looking to be confrontational, I'm looking to engage in a productive, meaningful conversation. I fully support every American's right to own a firearm. And nobody is more trained to use firearms than our service men and women. But is there a gray area when it comes to vets who suffer from PTSD and gun ownership? Not all vets, but specifically veterans who have been formally diagnosed with PTSD by a mental health physician.
I agree with all you posted.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Nope. I was a drinker for a time. You could walk into any of the local watering holes with a gun and they'd never know it. Many people did. CHL holders who know they're not to carry under the influence do it all the time. If they don't bring it inside, they stumble out to their cars where their guns are stored and drive off, drunk, into the sunrise with TWO deadly weapons.

Signage does not prevent anyone from CC.

As a general rule, most private establishments do not require patrons to clear a metal detector.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
My quotes were for 2016; the year of mass Russia! Russia! Russia! hysteria.
You mean before they were caught with their hands in the cookie jar? We know.

The NRA willingly and eagerly funneled foreign money in an effort to influence US politics, and it's of course your prerogative to overlook that.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I agree with all you posted.
Obviously two incidents make a mountain of supporting evidence.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Was he diagnosed or did the neighbors just assume?
He did pass a psych exam last year.
I have no idea. He seemed to have passed a psych exam after his neighbors called the cops because he was throwing himself against walls and screaming in his home and they were scared he was going to harm himself. Not someone who sounds like they should be legally owning a gun.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
In absence of a history of violence and a crystal ball, it was determined he was not a danger to himself or others, at that time.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have no idea. He seemed to have passed a psych exam after his neighbors called the cops because he was throwing himself against walls and screaming in his home and they were scared he was going to harm himself. Not someone who sounds like they should be legally owning a gun.
agreed.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thoughts & prayers. Another senseless shooting.

This young man was a US Marine with PTSD. Is it time to have that difficult conversation about gun ownership and our veterans who have returned from war?

Because if there's anybody I trust to know how to handle a gun and be educated on gun safety, it's military veterans. They absolutely know how to safely own and use a firearm. But at the same time, do we want folks who have been to war and seen terrible things and are suffering with mental illness problems back on US soil to have guns?

Is there a line to be drawn....is there a conversation to be had when it comes to 2nd amendment freedoms and allowing veterans with PTSD to own guns? Because first off, the suicide rate for veterans with PTSD is astronomical.

And now, this is the second mass shooting committed by a US military veteran. Ian Long, Marine, killed 11 people last night in California before killing himself. And almost a year ago to the day (Nov 5, 2017), a US Air Force veteran, shot and killed 16 people at a church in Texas.

I'm not looking to be confrontational, I'm looking to engage in a productive, meaningful conversation. I fully support every American's right to own a firearm. And nobody is more trained to use firearms than our service men and women. But is there a gray area when it comes to vets who suffer from PTSD and gun ownership? Not all vets, but specifically veterans who have been formally diagnosed with PTSD by a mental health physician.

I think you are in the wrong forum if you REALLY expect a "meaningful conversation". That will quickly be drowned out by the gun whacks, who in reality celebrate events like this because they affirm the thing that is most important to them - the right for anyone at any time to be able to freely obtain any weapon they want. Sure, it sometimes ends up badly for a few people, but that's the cost we have to bear, according to their view. Their thinking is that the more guns that are produced and distributed, and the more lethal they become - the safer we will all be. It's the same "conversation" you might have with a believer that thinks the Bible should be taken literally.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You mean before they were caught with their hands in the cookie jar? We know.

The NRA willingly and eagerly funneled foreign money in an effort to influence US politics, and it's of course your prerogative to overlook that.

The NRA doesn't even crack the top 50 contributers to US politics.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...h-to-lawmakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies