Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 01:21 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How many people that own guns make a living using those guns? Not many.

IF the government came after you their firepower will far surpass yours or any civilians. I get it, it makes some people feel better that they can take up arms against the government, but in reality those people would not be very effective against a tank, or helicopter, or missile, or bomb, or drone.
The argument that private gun ownership prevents government tyranny is so dumb and unfounded in history and logic, that it amazes me that people actually by into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:22 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suppose it depends on the person for I am is an arms mistress and guns are a big part of my life for that is my profession, that is one of my qualifications. If I am employed because of my marksmanship skills, for example, I am not expected to miss.

The level of intensity of the tool with the skill is like that of me being a professional diver.

Finally, of course, I do not trust this belief of a government always to be benevolent and always to have the best interest of its people at heart, I do not trust them to put people before money; therefore, I do not want to be defenseless in their eyes.
To have an effective life, to create an effective society, you have to have some trust - you have to take some risk. Life is risk - did you really think you were going to live forever?

As far as the last statement goes - no matter how many guns you squirrel away in your home - you essentially are defenseless. It might make you feel better but it the US federal government ever does become the tool of an authoritarian some day, your pathetic pea-shooters will be nothing more than a minor annoyance.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:23 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The argument that private gun ownership prevents government tyranny is so dumb and unfounded in history and logic, that it amazes me that people actually by into it.
I know. Like the guns the average armed Good Guy has are going to take down the weaponry that the government has access to. Umm.. good luck?

Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
People are quite capable of rationalizing anything.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The fight against gun crime is exactly the same with drugs. How are we doing with drugs?
Its not like drugs, its nothing like drugs. Drugs are an addicting substance with a constant demand that can be made in a hut in the jungle and smuggled into this country inside a persons rectum. Guns have limited demand, are not addictive, require complex machining and high quality metals and are very difficult to smuggle.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How many people that own guns make a living using those guns? Not many.
IF the government came after you their firepower will far surpass yours or any civilians. I get it, it makes some people feel better that they can take up arms against the government, but in reality those people would not be very effective against a tank, or helicopter, or missile, or bomb, or drone.

What are you talking about? You think our military is some separate entity? No, a lot of them, if not all, are law abiding gun owners. You think these proud Americans in our armed services are going to fire upon their family, friends and innocent civilians who own firearms if they refuse to turn in their firearms, because some crazy anti gun Liberals in Washington say so? pffttt Lol. If anything, our own Military will turn against Washington.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I know. Like the guns the average armed Good Guy has are going to take down the weaponry that the government has access to. Umm.. good luck?
Aside from that, any effort to combat the government will require. A highly developed organization, logistics, constant supplies, a clear mission and objective, the ability to recruit new members, a chain of command etc. This is the hard part, having the guns is the easy part. They have none of what I just listed but just the guns and they think its going to work.....idiots.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's not the government, it's the chaos and panic that could ensue between civilians if the government went rogue. One group goes crazy, blames someone else then you have anarchy until the government is fully able to control things. If this happens on a large scale guns could help you survive the chaos until the government takes them from you.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
What are you talking about? You think our military is some separate entity? No, a lot of them, if not all, are law abiding gun owners. You think these proud Americans in our armed services are going to fire upon their family, friends and innocent civilians who own firearms if they refuse to turn in their firearms, because some crazy anti gun Liberals in Washington say so? pffttt Lol. If anything, our own Military will turn against Washington.
All this discussion about a fantasy scenario.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising when you have nut jobs who think a 1% tax increase is "TYRANNY BEYOND ANY EXPERIENCED IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!!" in their warped dreams of armed insurrection.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's not the government, it's the chaos and panic that could ensue between civilians if the government went rogue. One group goes crazy, blames someone else then you have anarchy until the government is fully able to control things. If this happens on a large scale guns could help you survive the chaos until the government takes them from you.
When has their been total anarchy at any point in American history? If their ever has been, its been for a few hours and in a small area. Not a legit reason to have such widespread firearm ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies