Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
“Under the law, family, police, mental health professionals can all ask for the protective orders to remove weapons,” said Sgt. Jacklyn David, with Anne Arundel County Police.

Seems ripe for abuse. Also seems it would discourage people from seeking psychiatric care. The article doesn't explain why he was red flagged either.
13 states have similar “ extreme risk laws”.

Judge reviews the petition and either grants or denies TEMPORARY removal if there is reasonable evidence the subject is a danger to themselves and/ or others. A hearing is promptly scheduled and the subject has the right of appeal.

In hindsight, there were often red flags associated with most mass shooters, had those closest to them chose to not live in denial.

The 13 states with these laws impose harsh consequences on false reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:38 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, I haven't diagnosed anything at all.

I'm relying on the judgement of the sister in law who reported him, and the court order that agreed that there was evidence to confiscate his guns, and then my caution about him having guns was confirmed when he opened the door to cops in the middle of the day carrying a hand gun that he refused to put down.

That's enough for me to think maybe this fella doesn't need a hand gun.
How good was her relationship with Mr. Willis? Was she a vindictive person and just tried to get him in trouble with the law? Was she a rabid anti-gun person and just trying to get him disarmed? The judge only heard half of the story since the accused (and now dead) is not present at the hearing to refute any charges.

I carry a hand gun when I open the door. I do not expect visitors and if I do it's someone selling crap (and probably casing the house). If my neighbors need to contact me they will text or call. My neighbor's son reached out today to ask about a baseball team fundraiser. I'm getting a smoked ham for Thanksgiving now . He will text or call before delivering it. While it may seem odd to you, it's perfectly normal here. Do they seem threatened by me carrying all of the time? I wouldn't think so since the wife was home alone once and heard over the police scanner that a carjacker had been chased into our area. She wanted me to keep an eye on her house just in case. I obliged.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In Maryland about half of all requests are denied, so they aren't simply rubber stamping them in the state in question.
Where did you find such information?

Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Here are a couple. The sources are pro-gun, mainly because this aspect of gun control is seriously under-reported, and neither of them is the article I was thinking of when I posted before, but I'll find it later.
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/05/red...#axzz5WIxWtvzg
Quote:
“In an exposé of Gun Confiscation Orders in Seattle, only one request was ever denied,” according to Hammond. “And in Massachusetts, a liberal state representative, Barbara Gray, said of much-less-intrusive protective orders: ‘I think judges grant the restraining orders without asking too many questions.'”

https://conservativefiringline.com/i...ctivist-judge/
Quote:
Carroll lives in the upper part of a house and his mother lives in the basement apartment. She took his AR-15 rifle because she claimed that her son owed her fifty dollars. He then called the police to recover the gun. To his surprise, not only did they take the AR-15 but they also took two other long guns in his possession legally. The confiscation law was written so broadly, law enforcement could seize guns and keep them even if they could not stretch the language to justify confiscation. .......
Carroll decided to sue in federal court for violations of his Second Amendment and other rights. He also demanded that the county be enjoined from destroying his guns and to stop them from future illegal gun confiscations. The decision by District Judge Arthur Spatt was almost as incredulous as the confiscation of the guns themselves. He denied the injunction against Nassau police, citing the belief that Carroll could be compensated monetarily for having his guns stolen by law enforcement.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
In Maryland about half of all requests are denied, so they aren't simply rubber stamping them in the state in question.
And in Seattle, only one (1) has ever been denied. This is ripe for abuse.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Who knows these days with the way everyone lies. The PD could be lying as well as the news source.
Oh , just stop it.

Whatever evidence compelled a court to issue the order for TEMPORARY removal, seems to have hit the nail on the head, given his reaction.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I don't know about this individual case but there are plenty of people who would refuse to give up their arms who would not otherwise be violent. Eventually that comes down to brandishing your own weapon to keep them at bay. The cops don't just go away when you politely refuse their demand to give up your weapon.
A violent reaction is not likely going to turn out well for the subject.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:45 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Where did you find this? It seems the police were getting ready for an influx of confiscated guns - https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...824-story.html

Quote:
Maryland’s red flag law is broader than every other state’s, in terms of who can petition for an order. The change is so significant, Anne Arundel County police decided to expand their storage space, in part, because of the number of weapons they anticipate taking in and temporarily storing as a result of the new law, said county Chief Timothy Altomare.

Quote:
Lawmakers, advocates and law enforcement are planning an education blitz to raise awareness about the law. Starting Friday, a group of law enforcement officers will begin regional training sessions for department officials across the state on how to implement it. And advocates are planning to hold forums around the state in the fall and winter to educate the public.

Good thing only "half" of the requests are acted upon or they would need even more storage.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A violent reaction is not likely going to turn out well for the subject.
You are wise.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Where did you find such information?
https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...106-story.html

Quote:
There have been 19 protective orders sought in the county since then, tying Harford County for the most in Maryland, according to a report on the first month. Statewide, about half of the 114 orders sought have been granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies