Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This premise is completely and utterly not true.

All we have to prove it's a false premise is simply to look at the other developed countries with strict gun control who DON'T have Weekly mass shootings.

The demographics of USA is much more like Mexico or Brazil. Not Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:27 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
If anything, gun laws don't work to well because we're over saturated with guns. Even if we regulate or out right ban them, we're a black market's wet dream.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I keep seeing "keep guns away from children".
Years ago I saw a 20/20 episode where a police officer spoke to a group of 5-8 year old children. The officer told the children if they ever find a gun to yell "gun" and then go find an adult. And as the officer left the classroom he asked the kids, "what do you do if you find a gun", and the kids said loudly, "scream "gun" and then go find an adult."

30 minutes later the children were put in a room of toys with real guns hidden about. When the children found the guns many of them picked up the guns and pointed them at other kids, and one kid even pulled the trigger.

You need to "keep guns away from children."
Quote:
What about the thousands of "children" who hunt and target shoot?
Those children have been taught gun operation and gun safety, and they have actual experience shooting guns. Plus most of them are surrounded by adults who understand and regularly teach them about gun safety. Many children with gun training and experience can safely be around guns, but still as a general rule you need to "keep guns away from children."

My cousin is a part time police officer. And 15 years ago when I would go to his house there were literally loaded revolvers sitting on top of nightstands and dressers in his house. But after he and his wife had 2 children there are never guns seen in his house (since having kids he keeps his guns locked in a safe.)

Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I'm trying to think of a law that could be enacted that would prevent these mass shootings but with 300 million easily accessible guns out there and a lot of nut jobs willing to use them i come up with no solution and am left with the reality thats its just part of life in America.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:26 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm trying to think of a law that could be enacted that would prevent these mass shootings but with 300 million easily accessible guns out there and a lot of nut jobs willing to use them i come up with no solution and am left with the reality thats its just part of life in America.
Usual gun crimes come from usual criminals thst want to stay out of the radar.

Mass shooting cone from folks that got permits but were crazy all along and pay no mind to the idea that said establishment may or may not have cops or or armed citizens. They just wanna take down as many as they can with them..

Old 11-10-2018, 02:59 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I keep seeing "keep guns away from children". What about the thousands of "children" who hunt and target shoot?
I assume that those children are taught gun safety from an early age. I certainly was.

What we're worried about here are children who have no gun experience, but who know that Daddy's gun is in the nightstand, and who want to show it off to a playmate, and -- blam -- the playmate is dead.

Not sure what else to say except that I never dug into Dad's nightstand for his gun(s). I knew too much about them; I knew what damage they could cause. My Dad never kept guns from his children, but he made damn sure that we knew how to operate them, and what damage they could do, to humans and property. Yes, I have experience with them on the range.

Education is key. Somebody who knows how to operate these machines--fine. Somebody who does not, and fancies themselves some kind of hero--no. That person endangers more people than he or she thinks he or she is protecting.

'Nuff said for now.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I assume that those children are taught gun safety from an early age. I certainly was.

What we're worried about here are children who have no gun experience, but who know that Daddy's gun is in the nightstand, and who want to show it off to a playmate, and -- blam -- the playmate is dead.

Not sure what else to say except that I never dug into Dad's nightstand for his gun(s). I knew too much about them; I knew what damage they could cause. My Dad never kept guns from his children, but he made damn sure that we knew how to operate them, and what damage they could do, to humans and property. Yes, I have experience with them on the range.

Education is key. Somebody who knows how to operate these machines--fine. Somebody who does not, and fancies themselves some kind of hero--no. That person endangers more people than he or she thinks he or she is protecting.

'Nuff said for now.
^^^^^This. You must take away the mystery, and the fascination with guns, by educating kids. All they see in the Media, and Entertainment (TV, Movies, Video Games) is the power, and intimidation factor of guns. Guns are portrayed as elements of power which kids, even at an early age value. That entire narrative has to be dispelled by THE PARENTS. Parents need to take an active role in dispelling the myths of firearms.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:46 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
I've been saying for a long time "that genie is out of the bottle". There are more guns in the US than people.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
If anything, gun laws don't work to well because we're over saturated with guns. Even if we regulate or out right ban them, we're a black market's wet dream.
Thats a great point...consider how when govt cracked down on prescription narcotic drugs and then the explosion of cartel supplied heroin, enough that its causing epidemics in numerous states!

Same thing is going to happen to guns if our govt gets it way...it will just lead to the black market suppliers making more money than ever before.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 AM

477 posts, read 276,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The following bill would stop suspected terrorists from buying guns (but republicans in congress blocked the law.)
It MIGHT have stopped suspected terrorists from buying them *legally*. When was the last time anyone in the USA had trouble buying illegal drugs?

Quote:
The following regulation stops certain mentally ill people from buying guns (but Trump abolished the regulation.)
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lly-ill-people

Can you explain how the above laws would not stop mass murders from happening?
Yes. They MIGHT have stopped certain mentally ill people from buying them *legally*. How do you stop them from obtaining them ILLEGALLY?

Quote:
And better gun laws might have even stopped our most recent bar mass murder from happening.
I'm sorry, but get real. HOW? The law against murder didn't deter him, the law against having guns in bars didn't keep him from entering the bar with his pistol, the law against - you know what? What don't they just pass a law against mass shootings? Yeah, that one will finally do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies