Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
lmao! It’s okay for British MPs to say that America should not let a Brit in, but not okay for a Brit to say that Islamists should not be let into Great Britain.

You really can’t make this up.

Did somebody tell them they can't say that Islamists shouldn't be let in to Great Britain? Or you made that up to make a point you wanted to make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:04 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The Left all around the world just loves to hate free speech. 50 British MPs begged the US to ban islam critic Tommy Robinson from entering:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-America.html

Robinson had his "contempt" conviction recently overturned even by the unfair British courts. Now, Britain wants the US to essentially issue an unconstitutional Bill of Attainder against Robinson. Others might know the back story better, but it looks like the Obama Administration did this back in 2013.

Why is the Left so afraid of free speech? If his speech really is horrible and wrong, then he'll just look like a jerk and be treated as such.
Goes to prove their are idiot British Politicians.

They don't need to call anyone, Robinsons criminal record and prior attempt to enter the US on an invalid passport have made him ineligible to enter the US for the foreseeable future.

Unless he enters illegally.

<the distant sound of heads exploding>

Old 11-09-2018, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
lmao! It’s okay for British MPs to say that America should not let a Brit in, but not okay for a Brit to say that Islamists should not be let into Great Britain.

You really can’t make this up.
They have absolutely nothing to enforce it when, they tell their rulers NO. Nothing.
The people have no power in the UK, or the majority of Europe.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
US Immigration in the 80's denied Farley Mowatt, a Canadian author entry. He was less controversial than this guy. 80's remember -- that was Reagan can do no wrong era......LOL.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...139-story.html

honestly I can see Fox News picking up this story, Trump seeing it and then telling Immigration to let him in.

That's where we are now.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This Tommy guy sounds like a real winner. I didn't know First amendment Rights extended to England but I see the issue.

There is a large Muslim population in England, the mayor of London is Muslim and if Tommy goes there to give a fiery speech it just might upset those people to the point they lash out in a riot.

If all Robinson has to offer is inflammatory hate speech then I agree to block him because there will be people that choose to be offended instead of turning their backs and ignoring him.
Not to mention the irony contained therein, he has a criminal conviction of record while anyone even admitting they've ever once smoked pot in the distant past, with a clean record being denied entry...……..somewhat of a contradiction is apparent if he's granted access knowing well in advance his singular theme of preaching fear and hate towards "mooslims".

The contradictory optics are obvious.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:13 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Brits want US to Block Tommy Robinson from Entering to Speak

This is a deceptive headline, suggesting suppression of speech or ideas.

The USA would be very reluctant to grant anyone entry with a criminal record like his, anyone at all (except for Putin, I suppose). I am sure that the UK government could forbid him to travel besides, they don't need the USA to forbid entry.

This whole tempest seems to be concocted by a teenager, it's nothing.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
US Immigration in the 80's denied Farley Mowatt, a Canadian author entry. He was less controversial than this guy. 80's remember -- that was Reagan can do no wrong era......LOL.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...139-story.html

honestly I can see Fox News picking up this story, Trump seeing it and then telling Immigration to let him in.

That's where we are now.
Pretty much, Fox News and bloggers determine public policy through our television watching dotard.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

The USA would be very reluctant to grant anyone entry with a criminal record like his, anyone at all (except for Putin, I suppose). I am sure that the UK government could forbid him to travel besides, they don't need the USA to forbid entry.

His "criminal record" is being overturned (the most recent one already was) and is based on governments trying to illegally stifle his free speech in the first place.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

Is the US concerned that he will commit crimes in the US this visit like he has in the past? Seems like he's got plenty of money now, a huge following (greater social media presence than most MPs) and would like to visit either for holiday or to promote his books and speaking engagements.

If there's no real threat, then any ban is suppression of unpopular opinions (which in realty ARE ACTUALLY POPULAR OPINIONS).

But we mustn't say mean things about the religion of peace or else its peaceful followers will show you exactly how peaceful the religion can be!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 AM

27,136 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Goes to prove their are idiot British Politicians.

They don't need to call anyone, Robinsons criminal record and prior attempt to enter the US on an invalid passport have made him ineligible to enter the US for the foreseeable future.

Unless he enters illegally.

<the distant sound of heads exploding>

Exactly it's nothing to do with the UK, the US can let who they want in, and he has been refused entry before which is why he used false documents to go to the US last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies