Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you attend a large gathering of people in a gun free zone with no armed security?
No way 10 24.39%
Absolutely 17 41.46%
It depends on what the venue is 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

I have never been fond of most concert venues, especially inside ones.

Only concerts I attend are held at Ravinia, in Highland Park, Illinois. It is the oldest outdoor music venue in the US, originating more than 100 years ago. Capacity is 3500 and there is room to spread out.

While there is pavilion seating, most opt for lawn seats. Masses haul in wagons of folding chairs, tables, linens, lighting, food, wine and so on. Half the fun is walking around and checking out other people’s set-ups and decorations.

The concert venue is far removed from parking lots, homes and structures. Everyone is wanded. Every wagon and picnic basket is searched. There are no physical vantage points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I am kind of sitting here with this feeling like, "are you serious right now?"

I'm going to one tonight. Actually. Not a chance I'm suddenly going to avoid anyplace where people gather in numbers just because of mass shootings. I also have not pulled my son out of school, despite the school shootings that have happened. You know what else? I like to travel by plane, even though plane crashes have happened!

Really that's what this reminds me of. I know people who literally will not fly in a plane, out of fear of a hijacking or a crash.

Yet they, and most who are talking about fearing a shooting, get in cars and drive around on the roads, ALL THE TIME. You're far more likely to die that way, you know. Oh, but there, we have this absurd illusion of control, that "well that won't happen to me, because I'm a very good driver." Uh, yeah, bad drivers aren't the only ones who die in car accidents.

Someone said you're more likely to be struck by lightening...well...maybe not. But you're more likely to die in many other ways. See? --> https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...d4-750-872.png

Also I read an article not long ago that broke down some stuff about death-by-gun in America. Ah...found it...

About 30,000 people per year are shot and killed in the US, it said. Of those, about 2/3 are suicides. Out of the 10,000 remaining deaths, about 500 of them are accidental, and about one in ten of those will be a child. And only about 250 of them will be cases where an American is shooting a "bad guy" in a legally justifiable manner. Also you are about 1,500 times more likely to be shot by an American citizen in America, than you are a foreign terrorist. Around 1,000 people a year are shot by hunters, about 500 per year by mass shooters, and about 50 per year by terrorists. The article concludes that about 99% of the time if you shoot a human being, you are shooting yourself, committing a felony, or shooting someone by accident. Something like 1% of the time, you hit a "bad guy."

Here is the article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ng-bad-guy-gun And the author cites www.gunpolicy.org as the source for his numbers.

So I really am not going to structure my life or activities around fear of mass shooters, nor am I going to feel safer in a place where everybody is packing. Especially a place where everyone has a gun and alcohol is on tap. That seems like a bad idea to me.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Next poll question. Do you bring your own parachute whenever you fly?

If you don't, there is a possibility you will lose your life. Really. One of the biggest crashes in history the plane circled for hours and they knew they couldn't land.....you could have definitely jumped out a rear door with a chute.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Your two statements contradict each other. Avoiding events is not the answer but the problem is getting worse

At what point is it bad enough to avoid large events with no armed security? Or it shouldn't bother us because it's so rare?
I fail to see a contradiction. Objective observation: the problem is getting worse.

My own subjective decision: not to make fear a factor in my plans or decisions.

Others may want to stay away--it's a choice--subjective.

Someone could shoot up a mall or a grocery store--are you going to stay in your home and have everything delivered?

Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I don’t like going anywhere big crowds are. That’s just me.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:58 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If audience members are prohibited from bringing guns in, then I would only go if there were armed guards and metal detectors on check-in.

If audience members are allowed to bring guns in, then I would not expect armed guards. I would assume there are enough concealed weapon holders to provide protection.

THIS!

Bring enough concealed weapons and the bad guys will avoid it like the plague! They're all cowards looking for easy targets.

Even at that, the odds are 110,000-1 of being at a mass shooting event. To put that in perspective, the odds of dying in a car crash as a driver, pedestrian, cyclist, is 1 in 77.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
It's a shame that this is a thing now.

I used to go to so many concerts back when I was a kid. Any group I liked that passed through the long beach arena back in the 80's I went to. Took the bus with my buddies and we knocked ourselves out.

Now, I just don't enjoy large gatherings, too many people get me jumpy. This was before the Vegas shooter. Would I attend a concert without armed guards, sure, if it were a smaller venue, you can't stop living your life.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:12 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I only see performers in small venues. Large concerts are of no interest to my family. We do go to roots events held in state parks in northern Florida. Lots of people, but not large crowds.

Never got that about armed guards, etc. If the good person with a gun is on the other side of the building, crowd, venue, place of worship, etc. when the bad person with a gun starts shooting, plenty of people can be killed or wounded before the good guys can get there. I don't think a minimum wage security guard will deter a person wanting to kill a bunch of people.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:15 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I only see performers in small venues. Large concerts are of no interest to my family. We do go to roots events held in state parks in northern Florida. Lots of people, but not large crowds.

Never got that about armed guards, etc. If the good person with a gun is on the other side of the building, crowd, venue, place of worship, etc. when the bad person with a gun starts shooting, plenty of people can be killed or wounded before the good guys can get there. I don't think a minimum wage security guard will deter a person wanting to kill a bunch of people.
Nothing will stop a sick person from killing. Without a gun, they have used trucks, cars, pressure cooker bombs etc.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I am my OWN security. I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. If the concert will not permit me to exercise my constituional right, then I am not interested in supporting their concert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies