Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
OP. Why don't you define for us what "gun control" is?
He has in other threads. He wants to ban all guns for private citizens. He has said he hates the 1st and 2nd amendments.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
For those gun lover supporters, if a family member of yours or somebody you know well were part of a mass shooting or simply being shot, would you still support guns and not support gun control?!
You can't stop mass shootings by treating the end result and here is why.

Mass shootings fall into 2 general categories:

1) Criminal (Mostly gang, drug related)

2) Nutjob\terroristic

The former is mostly tied to gangs, drugs etc. and can still get hold of guns since they deal with smuggled products all the time. The violence there is rooted in poverty and all the associated ills. For example, in Chicago where I used to live, there are neighborhoods just 3 miles apart that have murder rates of 1 per 100k and 35 per 100k. The symptom is gun violence....not the illness.

As for the latter, a determined individual just looking other non-gun attacks can rent a truck. Or, with a book of matches they can start a forest fire. Or they can set fire to a crowded venue....or a host of other things that have been done over the years.

We are arguing guns SOLELY because it's politically advantageous for the areas with most of the gun violence (urban) to blame the problem on their political rivals (rural areas).

The reality is that we need to better address poverty and mental health treatment which is something that is often fought by the opposite political parties.

In short, neither party is acting in good faith to address the core problems. They merely treat it as a political wedge and argue about "guns".

Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
He has in other threads. He wants to ban all guns for private citizens. He has said he hates the 1st and 2nd amendments.
That poster definitely has some interesting quotes:
Quote:
[Religion should have nothing to do with how our government functions]
It should and that’s why I oppose the constitution

B A N guns period!

Constitution should be repealed entirely

The responds back on this thread boils my blood...

I truly hate the constitution, especially the first and second amendment.

Good luck ever electing a non-Christian president. If that ever happens = end of America....Non-Christian as a president? Won’t work unless he accepts the truth and converts.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
For those gun lover supporters, if a family member of yours or somebody you know well were part of a mass shooting or simply being shot, would you still support guns and not support gun control?!
It is a love to be able to feed the family, and kill the varmints to protect them and my property, because the buzzards and the worms gotta eat too.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:12 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Would make no difference.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:47 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
For starters, I support the Constitution, so a personal tragedy would not change my core beliefs. I can as a law abiding citizen want better methods to try and keep weapons (of any kind, including bomb making materials) out of the hands of deranged people.
Yet I will not give up my or your rights for perceived safety.

A very wise man once said;

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

That is something we should never lose sight of.

`

Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:

Would you gun controllers change your mind if you or someone you knew was saved in those situations by a good guy with a gun?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When Obama gave the CDC $10,000,000 to study gun violence

Here are some key findings from the CDC report, “Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” released in June:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:

2. Defensive uses of guns are common: "...more than 3 million per year…"

3. Mass shootings and accidental firearm deaths account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths, and both are declining:

4. “Interventions” (i.e, gun control) such as background checks, so-called assault rifle bans and gun-free zones produce “mixed” results:

5. Gun buyback/turn-in programs are “ineffective” in reducing crime:

6. Stolen guns and retail/gun show purchases account for very little crime:

7. The vast majority of gun-related deaths are not homicides, but suicides:
How ANYBODY can claim 'guns save lives' when the amount of people shot to death in the USA every year is laughable! Well it would be if it wasn't so f**king tragic! In your head if somebody starts a 'shootin' you are going to do the 'James Bond' thing and kill the 'bad guy' right? Your head thinks the world is just like Hollywood, the reality is before you know it everybody starts shooting everybody in blind panic and the shameful number of people murdered by gun in the US gets EVEN worse. People in the US need to take their heads out of the sand.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

"For gun worshippersn out there..."

YOU used a computer, are YOU some kind of completer "worshiper"?

Sorry, I won't play your silly juvenile game!

Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You say that as if laws "to stop criminals with guns" are a bad thing.

THAT explains a lot!

I guess Republicans just find it easier and more convenient to attempt making laws controlling what should be peoples' private medical decisions and what they do in their bedrooms than laws that might actually accomplish something.

"I guess" No kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies