Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:29 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So you hate NASCAR and find a silly way to cast shade on it.

How about going after all the environmentalist Hollywood Celebs & Politicians who fly around in private jets? Ahh yeah, that.

One private jet will belch out carbon emissions than entire year of NASCAR racing, and then some.

Don't leave out all the cars they own and TRAVEL TO celebrity events in LIMOUSINES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:33 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, we should put some of that on the many NASCAR owners and drivers who travel to races by private jet, right? And let's not forget cleaning up Jack Roush's crashes.

Baaaaaaaaad example!
"we should put some of that on the many NASCAR owners and drivers"

EMPHASIS on SOME.

There are hell of a lot MORE other celebrities, Hollywood, TV, music, etc, then their are NASCAR owners and drivers.

CONTEXT IS important!

Baaaaaaaaad example!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I think you just make this stuff up. You should be in the dictionary under "knowing just enough to be dangerous".

In discussing this in scientific terms, we don't care about the absorption rate! In fact, the small IR absorption rate of CO2 tends to shoot your argument in the foot.

The sun's energy comes blasting through the atmosphere 24/7/365. CO2 absorbs very little of it. The Earth absorbs it instead, warming it. Everybody knows that part. You are trying to argue that the sun has to warm the CO2 directly, allowing you to spout those ridiculous numbers of yours.

No, what matters is what happens after the sun sets. The CO2 and the other greenhouse gasses act as a blanket, by slightly interfering with what gets radiated back into space. An exaggerated analogy would be it is like a piece of glass; the sun and its heat penetrates just fine, but the heat created behind it is trapped for a long period.

It is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to argue. The greenhouse gases are not causing heat, they are trapping it.

I know this was a complete waste of time, because you are not about to re-evaluate your science on this, since that might result in a stance that goes against your politics. Oh well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That, my friend, reveals a very basic misunderstanding of how infared energy interacts with the atmosphere. The notion that CO2 acts as an atmospheric “blanket” is completely scientifically false and suggests that you do not command even a basic knowledge of thermodynamics or physics by which I could engage you in a meaningful discussion.

Better stick with “science” as told in the tabloids and curl up in that nice CO2 blanket.��
Silly question for both of you.

What is your degree?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Silly question for both of you.

What is your degree?

BS in Chemical Engineering and MD. Academic medical bench science research prior to private practice; looking to return to academia. I took graduate level mathematics and physics as well in undergrad, thus the continued interest in these areas. I'm such a nerd that I still read physics and math textbooks for "fun".

When one looks at many of the mathematical issues associated with the notion of CO2 induced "global warming", it makes no sense at all. The qualitative emotional "arguments" for this hypothesis are simply not supported by actual, rational science.

I am an ardent supporter of environmental issues. However, I support measures that are based in reality, not emotion, and have a real impact on the environment. Pollutants are a very real issue facing mankind, however, CO2 is not a pollutant- it is as essential to life on earth as oxygen. I find it amusing that political agendas have classified CO2 as a "pollutant"; for a viable planet, we actually need more, not less CO2. We have many air and water pollutants which need to be addressed rather than diverting attention to a non issue like CO2.

Let's focus on the real problems facing the planet, as there are many. The whole global warming issue simply misallocates resources that could be used to address actual problems.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Poor even for a push poll.

Why don't we encourage and subsidize working at home? This could save orders of magnitude more gas. There are many commuters who don't actually have to report to their job site, or not report everyday.

Subsidize this the way they do LCD lights and wind power. Everyone would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies