Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 01:38 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,438,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.

We should ban breathing.

That fire in Cali that just started, has released more emissions in the air already than every car ever built
We should ban forest fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 01:53 PM

30,197 posts, read 23,599,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As fast as electric cars are these days they could be raced with no impact to the environment.
https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ronment-000660

Quote:
...widespread adoption of electric vehicles nationwide will likely increase air pollution compared with new internal combustion vehicles. You read that right: more electric cars and trucks will mean more pollution.

That might sound counterintuitive: After all, won’t replacing a 30-year old, smoke-belching Oldsmobile with a new electric vehicle reduce air pollution? Yes, of course. But that’s also where many electric vehicle proponents’ arguments run off the road: they fail to consider just how clean and efficient new internal combustion vehicles are. The appropriate comparison for evaluating the benefits of all those electric vehicle subsidies and mandates isn’t the difference between an electric vehicle and an old gas-guzzler; it’s the difference between an electric car and a new gas car. And new internal combustion engines are really clean. Today’s vehicles emit only about 1% of the pollution than they did in the 1960s, and new innovations continue to improve those engines’ efficiency and cleanliness.

...Cars are charged from the nation’s electrical grid, which means that they’re only as “clean” as America’s mix of power sources.

...As for greenhouse-gas emissions, my analysis shows that electric vehicles will reduce them compared to new internal combustion vehicles. But based on the EIA’s projection of the number of new electric vehicles, the net reduction in CO2 emissions between 2018 and 2050 would be only about one-half of one percent of total forecast U.S. energy-related carbon emissions. Such a small change will have no impact whatsoever on climate, and thus have no economic benefit.

...Electric vehicle subsidies and mandates share an unfortunate, and all too common trait with other government policies: They’re based on “conventional wisdom” that turns out to be wrong.
So...no.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,433,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As fast as electric cars are these days they could be raced with no impact to the environment.
Umm, how do the batteries get charged?

Old 11-10-2018, 01:56 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,357,362 times
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
How about we ban everything you like and transfer your wealth to Africa to help them set up solar panels?

Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,453,794 times
I am fine with that afterall, car racing is the most boring event to watch.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,433,120 times
Quote:

Nice survey you have Travis. Not at all leading or accusatory tone in the ‘no’ answer is there. Lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,205,444 times
What a daft idea.

If you really wanted to address any root causes of AGW you'd have to start with the global overpopulation crisis..

A sustainable human population is maybe as small as 100M.

Work towards that instead...instead of banning things. This is a world of plenty - but that doesn't mean you can have endless consumption. With a right-sized human population, there would be virtually no restrictions on human activities.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 PM

20,677 posts, read 8,433,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you aren't trading out the batteries every 10 minutes, it would be a very very very short race. (or a very slow one)
Hey, here's a solution: use very, very long electric cords connected to sockets in the center of the track.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 4,597,687 times
Quote:

Oh look, another liberal who wants to ban everything that he doesn't like or have an interest in.

Thankfully, you'll never get your way.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,593,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Why don’t we ban you fron posting here?
It's an obvious troll account with ridiculous anti gun, anti car, anti middle America, posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies