Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 01:26 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I'm not an expert on forest fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 01:27 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,133,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As usual, Trump knows zero about the issue, hasn't done a deep dive into how REALITY - and is once, again, blowing HOT AIR.

When will people finally accept every word out of this man's mouth is worthless.
This thread isn't about Trump. It's about CALIFORNIA's prevention of forest fires. They get an F minus from me.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM

8,409 posts, read 6,788,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump has run his mouth again and infuriated the left and their media friends -- but maybe the attention should be on liberal California instead. I'm not an expert on forest fires but I can tell you one thing: somebody isn't getting the job done out there, and things need to be changed. And whether or not it's global warming related really doesn't matter in the present, because we need to put some changes in place to prevent these horrible fires. I will start with: PG&E needs to be held fully accountable, up to the point of arresting people if need to, to punish them for their lousy job of preventing their equipment from starting fires. If you need to tack on a 5% surcharge to every customer's bill, and then go out and hire 500 more people for maintenance -- then you do it!
So you’re from Pennsylvania and admittedly not an expert. Another Liberal California hit job. I guess Pennsylvania is the Garden of Eden and has no problems whatsoever.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times
Quote:
This thread isn't about Trump. It's about CALIFORNIA's prevention of forest fires. They get an F minus from me.
Funny to name a thread "Trump's right again: California is doing a TERRIBLE job of fire management" and then say the thread is not about Trump.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,133,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So you’re from Pennsylvania and admittedly not an expert. Another Liberal California hit job. I guess Pennsylvania is the Garden of Eden and has no problems whatsoever.
Last I looked we don't have out of control forest fires in my state.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,867,329 times
Quote:
Last I looked we don't have out of control forest fires in my state.
You don't have a booming educated economy or people wanting to move there either. You do have an aging population I hear. Please stay in depressing rust belt Pennsylvania you can tell you know nothing about California. The forests surrounding Paradise are Federal Forests ran by a white house appointee.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,649,834 times
Quote:
Trump has run his mouth again and infuriated the left and their media friends -- but maybe the attention should be on liberal California instead. I'm not an expert on forest fires but I can tell you one thing: somebody isn't getting the job done out there, and things need to be changed. And whether or not it's global warming related really doesn't matter in the present, because we need to put some changes in place to prevent these horrible fires. I will start with: PG&E needs to be held fully accountable, up to the point of arresting people if need to, to punish them for their lousy job of preventing their equipment from starting fires. If you need to tack on a 5% surcharge to every customer's bill, and then go out and hire 500 more people for maintenance -- then you do it!
Um, who owns the land that burned? If it's federally owned, well it's for Congress to fix, and Trump is basically threatening to punish folks who have little control over what the feds do.

If it's state-owned, then I'm sure the California legislature will be reviewing its fire management policies. Every firefighting agency in the west understands that drought causes problems and they don't have the resources they need to minimize the risk and adequately respond. And they've been raising the alarm about that for literally decades, with sub-optimum results. For one thing, too much residential development is being allowed in wildfire-prone areas. The issue is convincing everyone that the state needs more authority over land use practices and paying for what's needed. If it's privately owned - well, good luck telling those folks what to do. Most of them, especially large timber, ranching, and land development companies, don't like the laws they have to obey as it is. They sure won't welcome more laws telling them what to do. I'm sure Trump's already getting an earful from them about how they don't want the feds - or the state - intruding into their sandbox.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-18-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,180,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Sorry, I'm not an expert on forest fires.
Neither is Trump. Far from it. I would not think anyone would actually want to draw attention to Trump as he made such inane remarks.

In fact, he just made himself a laughing stock of the world with his fire 'advice.'

"...Trump mocked for telling California to rake its forests like Finland to reduce fire risk..."

"..In response to Trump's comment, the Finns collectively said, "Excuse me?"...

“You look at other countries where they do it differently, and it’s a whole different story,” he said. "I was with the president of Finland, and he said, 'We have a much different— we're a forest nation,' he called it a 'forest nation.'"

“...And they spend a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things," he said of the Finns. "And they don’t have any problem..."

Niinisto, in an interview published in the Ilta-Sanomat newspaper on Sunday, said that he told Trump: “Finland is a country covered by forests but we also have a good surveillance system and network..."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-finland-rake/

https://inktank.fi/rake-news-how-soc...nnish-forests/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ise-california

Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,945,506 times
Trump is right and if you want to read a well written article discussing the subject try this one. More control burns and harvesting of trees need to be done but CA environmentalist fight proper controls.

How Misguided Environmentalism Is To Blame For California's Wildfires

Quote:
For decades, environmental protection schemes have usurped common sense. For example, most fire ecologists say that the surest way of preventing massive forest fires is to use prescribed burns. The California Environmental Protection Agency states that “prescribed burning is the intentional use of fire to reduce wildfire hazards, clear downed trees, control plant diseases, improve rangeland and wildlife habitats, and restore natural ecosystems.”

Prescribed burns keep forests healthy by burning up the underbrush that accumulates on the forest floor and by thinning trees. Yet for decades the Forest Service has suppressed most fires. According to a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection executive summary: “Land and fire management have in many cases increased fire hazard. In some shrub types, fire suppression appears to have shifted the fire regime away from more, smaller fires toward fewer, larger fire.”

Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,001 times
Let me guess: You think Finland is doing a much better job.

Trump is such an idiot and knows nothing at all about the climate of California, the climate of Finland, who is maintaining the land that is burning, or much of anything else. He probably overheard some unhinged nobody ranting about the forests of California and forest rakes and decided that it was his own idea.

How embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies