Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...68803218948096

They really do need to look into thinning the forests that are prone to fire, which would create lots of tangible lumber jobs.

With the shortage of lumber that business and construction firms had to deal, it would be a good time for the federal government look into thinning fire-prone forests.

This is going on far to long and it's partly because of the radical left and it's environmentalist agenda.
and most of us who have any common sense know he is not going to cut spending. But, yes, something needs to be done to control what is happening over and over in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 12:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...68803218948096

They really do need to look into thinning the forests that are prone to fire, which would create lots of tangible lumber jobs.

With the shortage of lumber that business and construction firms had to deal, it would be a good time for the federal government look into thinning fire-prone forests.

This is going on far to long and it's partly because of the radical left and it's environmentalist agenda.
and most of us who have any common sense know he is not going to cut spending. But, yes, something needs to be done to control what is happening over and over in California.

I remember, back in the 70s when my husband was the PR director for a timber company in NO CA. The environmentalist were trying then to stop any thinning of the forest or cutting down any trees. I loved the bumper sticker that read "trees are our only renewable resource" I also remember discussing with a few "save the trees" young people who lived in the area, what they would do if the industry dried up and the jobs did as well. These were high school and jr college kids who's fathers worked in the industry. These kids response always was, oh there will be plenty of other jobs in the region. HELLO. They had no clue.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:14 PM

88,768 posts, read 44,594,609 times
The left-wing crying and hand-wringing not withstanding, THIS is why California has so many deadly forest fires.

https://lhc.ca.gov/report/fire-mount...LWfwLrM3jsS6do

STOP emoting, and START THINKING.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 PM

5,314 posts, read 2,103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The left-wing crying and hand-wringing not withstanding, THIS is why California has so many deadly forest fires.

https://lhc.ca.gov/report/fire-mount...LWfwLrM3jsS6do

STOP emoting, and START THINKING.
And again, as pointed out in that very report "Complicating the management problem is the fact that the State of California owns very few of the forests within its borders – most are owned by the federal government or private landowners."

So castigating California for something that is made difficult by the fact they don't own most of the land (including a lot of land under his ownership as head of the federal government, therefore in essence his problem) , as well as ignoring other red states with similar problems, is helpful? Yep, if one thinks, they can see these problems....

Last edited by latimeria; 11-11-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 12:46 PM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As I read the responses and research causes of the fire -- once again I see Trump is clueless.

That's the problem with this President. Some yahoo on TV or even close to him can tell him anything and he just eats it up and spews it out -- without reading, sometimes without understanding exactly what he is saying.

It is a problem that at this time he chooses to attack California and is obviously misinformed.

Folks are losing everything. Firemen are risking their lives and Trump gets political. Go figure. He's such a great politician.

While his fans claim he is different - he is almost the perfect example of a politician. Doesn't have any moral compass and just says whatever his base needs to hear to cheer him on.
What was Obama's solution

Old 11-11-2018, 12:52 PM

5,314 posts, read 2,103,020 times
Trump is president now. What is he doing about the fires on his federal govt land (since they own a big portion of them) besides moaning about the state where they happen to be and threatening to take away funds?

Last edited by latimeria; 11-11-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Let it burn. Then start over.
That's what some towns will be doing. Conservative, Trump-voting ones.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I may have asked this question before when there was yet another California fire but is it a problem of lack of water to put out fires when they have these big ones?

If we can build the Alaskan pipeline for oil, why can't California buy water from states that get a lot (like my state) and pipe it to them like we do oil?
That's not really the biggest issue. There is water to fight the fires.

The biggest issue with the most intense fires are hot dry winds from inland which sometimes start fires (e.g. power lines knocked down) and spread them faster than any man-made force can control them.

Throw in the fact that we have just come off one of the hottest dry seasons on record in the state, and multiple years of drought (mixed in with a few very wet years, helping vegetation grow and then subsequently dry out to a crisp), you have a recipe for bad fires.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When I go to National Wildlife Refuges in assorted states (but not California because I have never been to a NWR there), I always see areas of controlled burns. This one below had been done in the Pungo Unit Of Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina. I've seen evidence of them in Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, too. So, you are right, the feds do, do them.
There are indeed controlled burns in the state. I just drove through one two weeks ago near Mt. Shasta and Lassen.

But remember we're talking about millions of acres of forest, most of which is managed federally. Even with a fully funded and staffed set of people to do controlled burns year round, you're never going to fully manage that amount of land.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM

8,502 posts, read 10,914,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
From what I have read -- The areas burning in Southern California aren't even forests. It's chaparral and coastal sage scrub. Invasive plants and the urban-wildland interface are mostly to blame.

But even if it is poor forest management -- which is debatable -- what a callous, heartless comment at a time when Americans are in danger and losing everything they have.

He's disgusting.

What is burning here presently is the same growth that grows in much of southern California.
Take a ride through the ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST in the san gabriels, and you will see the same growth that is all over southern California.

It is indeed forest.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies