Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,823,765 times

Advertisements

Which Republicans lost seats that they could have easily won and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
As Trump said, they didn’t “embrace” him.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The implication being their failure to do so depressed Republican turnout in the districts.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Peter Roskam ( R- Illinois) lost.

He’s a moderate who went with the flow.

He declined townhall meetings which did not sit well with people.

6 terms is enough, regardless of political ideology.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Trump chooses to make it all about Trump.

For some, had Reps embraced, they would have lost by more.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,050,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Which Republicans lost seats that they could have easily won and why?
Katie Arrington in South Carolina District 1. A very very red district. She lost to Joe Cunningham.

She is an unpleasant person who was running on a ticket of anything Trump. In the primary against Mark Sanford she chastised Sanford for publicly stating his policies -- even those that didn't support Trump. She also went all in on offshore drilling.

We are on the coast.

Republican Mayors, fisherman, swimmers, beach lovers do not want off shore drilling. She changed her tune but it was too late. She had set her agenda.

Joe Cunningham had way more charisma and is a very moderate Democrat. Anti-Pelosi, controlled immigration, a guy with a CWP. He is all about term limits.

In her concession speech the bitter Republican loser blame Sanford for her loss because he wasn't conservative enough.

If y'all can figure out that logic -- you deserve her - -lol.

I don't think this guy will ruffle feathers or put on a show...but I think he will know his roots and that he serves his voters not the President.

I don't expect he will fight the Republicans on everything...I hope not. I hope he has a sensible approach. Time will tell.

This district had not been blue since the 80's.
I think Mark Sanford would have won.
Yes Trump endorsed her and in fact worked to get Sanford out. Kind of ironic.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
My House seat switched from R to D. Its the first time the seat has been D since 1980 or a similar date. The problem was a hard right Trump acolyte beat the incumbent R in the primary and was half a step out of sync with the district. She also was bit smarmy/combative, got into an argument with a local mayor on tape and tried to claim she was against offshore drilling after voting for it in the statehouse and claiming to be for it early in the campaign. The whole brouhaha showed a rather prickly side of her personality. She lost by about 4 thousand votes after losing Charleston County by about 18,000 votes. I think the problem was that she was just unlikeable.

The incumbent would have won in a walk. The big questions now are if the D can hold the seat (the district is taking baby steps towards being more D friendly), if Sanford (the deposed incumbent) runs for the seat again and if Arrington tries again in 2020. Her concession speech has been roundly panned and did her no favors so I am nit sure a 2020 run will be fruitful. Another R would probably be favored in the general.

ETA- it looks like Moneill and I posted simultaneously about the same seat. I think she gave a fair assessment of how people viewed Cunningham.

I'll also add that Oklahoma seat that went D- WTH does a Republican lose in Oklahoma?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM

People who run as moderates don’t usually end up voting that way.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,050,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
My House seat switched from R to D. Its the first time the seat has been D since 1980 or a similar date. The problem was a hard right Trump acolyte beat the incumbent R in the primary and was half a step out of sync with the district. She also was bit smarmy/combative, got into an argument with a local mayor on tape and tried to claim she was against offshore drilling after voting for it in the statehouse and claiming to be for it early in the campaign. The whole brouhaha showed a rather prickly side of her personality. She lost by about 4 thousand votes after losing Charleston County by about 18,000 votes. I think the problem was that she was just unlikeable.

The incumbent would have won in a walk. The big questions now are if the D can hold the seat (the district is taking baby steps towards being more D friendly), if Sanford (the deposed incumbent) runs for the seat again and if Arrington tries again in 2020. Her concession speech has been roundly panned and did her no favors so I am nit sure a 2020 run will be fruitful. Another R would probably be favored in the general.

ETA- it looks like Moneill and I posted simultaneously about the same seat. I think she gave a fair assessment of how people viewed Cunningham.

I'll also add that Oklahoma seat that went D- WTH does a Republican lose in Oklahoma?
I thought you summed it up well.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

A similar thing happened here in the primaries, but was slightly different.

One of our Representatives from one of two districts here thought he would run for Governor, but he completely mis-judged the more moderate conservatism of the second district, which is both larger and much more moderate than the district he won his Congressional seat from.

While he was the best-known of them all in a crowded primary field, in the end, a long-time state official beat him handily, and an unknown progressive Republican came in a distant second. The Representative came in 3rd behind the unknown.

I think that's what happens when a politician goes to Washington and forgets his ties to the folks back home who sent him. You can be a big cheese in the Capitol, but only for as long as the voters want to keep you there.

Choosing to run for Governor was the worst political mistake he ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies