Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

When Obama gave the CDC $10,000,000 to study gun violence

Here are some key findings from the CDC report, “Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” released in June:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:

2. Defensive uses of guns are common: "...more than 3 million per year…"

3. Mass shootings and accidental firearm deaths account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths, and both are declining:

4. “Interventions” (i.e, gun control) such as background checks, so-called assault rifle bans and gun-free zones produce “mixed” results:

5. Gun buyback/turn-in programs are “ineffective” in reducing crime:

6. Stolen guns and retail/gun show purchases account for very little crime:

7. The vast majority of gun-related deaths are not homicides, but suicides:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Big deal. How many handguns have stopped a mass shooting? In real life?

It's just a downward spiral of guns, shootings and more guns. Sad.
You think it will cull the bullies out of society, by people willing to sacrifice it all, so no one else is ever bullied by that person.
You really think that?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 AM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Most of the anti-gun people (I believe) also agree that war on drugs is a total disaster.

This is what I don't understand. If you believe war on drugs is a total failure, then why do you believe banning guns is the solution of gun violence?

Ban guns and you’ll just create a black market for them. The organized crime structure is already there.
Many people in this country like to use marijuana despite it being illegal and they’re handing over billions to organized crime every year. That’s breaking the law for what they see as harmless fun. Ban guns and we’ll be breaking the law as an act of self defense. How many billions will that give to organized crime?

Mass murder is nothing new: The 1927 Bombing That Remains America’s Deadliest School Massacre In 1927 the population of the United States was 119,035,000. Today it’s 350,000,000. We have a mass shooting per capital rate less than Finland’s. We seeing them more often because we’re just so populous.

Even if the government sent squads of armed men door to door and confiscated every firearm in America the problem will continue. Look at the numbers of homemade firearms that are collected in countries with extreme gun control. A simple Google search will reveal that it is rampant.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Sounds sensible. And everyone knows no "bad evil people" lack good sense.
Drive by shooting were common, when they knew their foe was armed. Cowards are still murderers in the end.
We should ask them to stop.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Avoidance, and the ability to evade danger without confrontation is ALWAYS the best course of action.
As I walk into the Valley of Death.... I fear no evil. Unless I'm unarmed.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Is open carry allowed in the stands at NASCAR races in red states. If anywhere allows guns at crowded events, I assume it would be there.
Every RV in the infield is an arsenal.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
What magical qualities do "officials" have that make them more qualified to carry a firearm than non-officials?
There aren't any. That poster is a complete loon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Trump will win again and be re-elected... you’ll see.
I hope he declares Christianity as the official US religion as an executive order....

How about BANNING guns completely and only officials should carry them!!...

Constitution should be repealed entirely...

I truly hate the constitution, especially the first and second amendment...

Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I mean seriously, I simply don't "get" the anti-gun people. Do you believe people should just wait and die? My family has several stores in the shopping mall and my friend also had a store in the same mall. He is a US veteran and is highly trained combat Marine. The mall is a god damned gun free zone, but He always kept his gun in his store. Everybody knows it, everybody felt safe. He is now operating his own business elsewhere and no longer has a store in the mall, so I can say it now without getting him in trouble. Everybody around him felt safe.
I do.
They're busy body do gooders. Too worried about what others do with their lives.

Notice the operative word every time firearms are discussed.
Why do you feel.
How would you feel
What do you feel

Never asking what do you think, why do you think etc.
They rationalize with emotion. We rationalize with cogent thought.
Hence the arguing that continues. The argument is incompatible.
How does one go through life feeling? I won't know. I won't rationalize with emotion. Clear concise thoughts, yes.

In their mind, running off of feeble irrelevant emotion, they believe if we just focused on the implement then everything will be great.
Look at the UK and Australia. Those 2 places screwed up and focused on the implement. And what happened? Why the implement had changed of course.

See. It's really significantly flawed logic and what they cant comprehend since they only feel, instead of think... they do not have forsight.

Because emotions are temporary.
just ban them all now! Confiscate them all now! It's the only way!

Stop. Shut up. Sit down. Think.

If you focus on the firearm, not the individual, you will have solved nothing but furthered your greedy self serving agenda which will afford you temporary relief.
Because just like emotions, it will be temporary if say every firearm were to disappear.

Other weapons and means will proliferate. That's all.
Instead of shooting up a building. They'll do like out in Australia. Chain the doors shut and torch the place up with everyone inside.

Or worse.

Due to their inability to think
Due to their misguided focal point: the implement
They've no comprehension of what they really seek to endorse.

Rather than say Gee. You know what... that guy is right.
Maybe we do need to focus on
Motive
Incentive
Intent
Enabling outliers
And maybe we should recognize we have a responsibility for our safety, the safety of our family and loved ones, and of our communities, perhaps we ourselves can beat the police and thwart the threat ourselves!

Nope. Just like the emotional lemmings that they are, but guns are icky!

Now. I've proposed solutions, even a community service purely voluntary initiative and all it would take is to suspend and repeal the gun free school zone act of 1990 and 1994 for me and 150 others plus whomever they know, to stand armed as guardians over every entrance point of a school. Would not cost tax payers a dime.

Think they'd go for that? Hell no.

Why?

You see it here. universal background checks! I don't know you! Muh Childrunz! But I don't want guns around Muh Childrunz!

Okay.
So I'm understanding this thought process.

You're willing to send your kid off to a gun free zone, to be educated.
No armed deterrence present.
To fall to the will of a homicidal scumbag.
But you wouldn't want me nor the rest of the people I know plus who they know, within the shooting community.
To volunteer our time.
To use our weapons for good not evil, in defending your precious cherubs.
Safeguarding the very building they are inside of.

And I'm being ridiculous?

Okie dokie then.
It's their funeral if the SRO is a POS like the Broward Coward.

Just remember. In the event of a tragedy, when seconds matter, help is minutes away. Police can't be everywhere at every time. Nor is it their fault either. However, the reason we don't see the Broward coward on the stand for dereliction of duty is
Warren v D.C.-Supreme Court ruling, Police do not have a duty to protect.

Tough pill to swallow. Welcome to reality.

Now the other thing I find intriguing about anti gun blat asses, is this line of "fetish" for an arsenal. Tells me they're quite the deviant if everything must be a sexual impulse to them.

They can hurl all the insults they want I'll just wear them as a badge of honor.
Considering the source it's a compliment.

At the end of the day though. They want the same things we want, just naive, borderline retarded, in their approach at solving the problem.

I can't wait for the day they have an epiphany and wake up to reality, and come to terms with, everything they've been led to believe is an embellished half truth. That they are seeking to decide for others in how they defend themselves, and by doing so, create potential victims out of the millions. If not victims, felons like Cuomo declared me to be for owning something he didn't like. Aww. Poor baby. Lost his binkie, and lost a tax payer. Paid to push the anti gun crap.

You would think since all of the anti gun legislation they and the NRA who they demonize, passed through the years, they'd wake up and realize they solve problems with problematic solutions that often are ineffective and cost people their lives...

Remember lemmings. Your liberal darlings can afford someone to protect them with firearms. Can you? If you want to pay me 300k per year to sit in your hallway to make sure nothing happens when there's a break in at 3 am I will take that money and post up in your hallway. I even have wizard eyes of my own too

See if you gave them and their cohort Rinos a wish, to solve the problem.
Like fools they'd wish firearms, the knowledge of firearms, and ammunition to disappear the world throughout.
It didn't solve anything. It didn't reduce anything. It just means the implement will change is all.

They tell us there's a very valid reason why I have to submit a passport photo and finger prints and pay a 200 dollar tax to the ATF for every suppressor I purchashed.
Because I saw it on a movie where the gun didn't go bang!
Yeah... about that...

Reality is not even remotely close to what you see in the movies.

Try one sometime. Without ear muffs or ear plugs.
Tell me how ninja stealthy the report is with a can on the end of that AR.

They tell us a reduced capacity magazine is the only way.
Oh... tell that to the victims and their families of the Maryland gazette news paper.
Fienstein and Schumer and company tell us, reduced magazines will allow people the time to escape or subdue the gunman.
And when someone from the Maryland gazette tweets out.
The most terrifying sound in the world is hearing the gunman reload.

Where was that escaping? Where was that subduing of the gunman by the people inside?
It didn't happen.

If we only banned certain types of firearms. Nobody needs an AR or AK.

And when just like in the Maryland shooting, someone resorts to grandpa Fudds revolver and shotgun.
Ban those too right?
Ban that lever action because that will be the new assault rifle?
Or because Cowboys used them, we need to ban them because this isn't the OK corral?

And when they turn to bolt actions that send full power rifle rounds down range with double triple the kinetic energy of that tiny .223/5.56 they blat and raise hell about...
Ban sniper rifles?
Ban shotguns and slugs and 00 shot. Nobody needs a "combat shotgun"?

Okie dokie.

See. If they had any sense of reality, any logical thought process, and were given a wish.
They'd wish to end violent ideation that lead to homicidal actions.

Then they'd have solved the "gun violence" "knife violence" and murder in general.

But since they focus like fools on the implement...
Ban the guns. Then when knives and such take the lead.
Ban the knives!
Then when hammers baseball bats 2x4s etc ban those too?

I don't know about them. They seem content with everyone being put into bubbles or bubble wrap suits in areas devoid of sharp objects and anything remotely dangerous.
I don't want anything to do with their dystopia.
I wouldn't want my kids and grand kids in their dystopia neither.
I'll accept the risks of living within this nation, prepare for them accordingly, and if it comes to it, do what needs to be done to ensure the safety and well being of myself, my family, my loved ones, my property or on behalf of the community should a homicidal scumbag decide to descend upon it.

However they through their feeble conflation and false equivalencies see that all as a blood lust or something. Because defense is demonized. How dare you be self reliant and self sufficient! That goes against the grain of requiring a police officer!

Nah. I just intend to revoke their incentive.
Terminate their Motive and their intent.

See unlike the lemmings, I would rather see headlines that says "Would be mass shooter/gunman/rapist" "Attempted mass shooter/gunman/rapist etc" thwarted by armed citizen. More details at 7.

Rather than hearing x dead, Y wounded, Z weapon and tactics used. To serve as inspiration/inadvertent study guide for a copy cat.

Media would do itself and us all a huge favor if they'd stop reporting the scumbags names and refer to them as scumbags.
Media would do itself and us all a huge favor if they'd stop reporting the scumbags weapons and tactics they used...
Gee... I wonder why this weapon or that weapon is used with such frequency.... hmm I wonder if constantly going on and on about it would have anything to do with inspiring others...
How many scumbags that committed mass shootings confess to idolizing Columbine scumbags? Or this one or that one? Or researched how and what they used to improve upon theirs as if it's some sick game to achieve some score?
Keep repeating the name. Give them the attention they want. Give them the infamy they crave.

Idiots.

3 things lemmings. Maybe 4.
Motive.
Incentive.
Intent.
Enabling outliers.

Your choice to keep pointing blame at the inanimate object as solely being responsible. You are just going to continue further the divide in the nation. We've done it your way for how many years and nothing has worked... so admit defeat, own it and move on, and get with us to push for addressing Motive, Incentive, and Intent.

I promise the shootings will stop doing it my way.
Just repeal the gun free schools act.
Make it law that if any entity chooses to be gun free that they hold responsibility for your safety and security. Unless of course they have you sign hold harmless agreements.
Acknowledge we all have an individual responsibility for our safety.
And put your foot down and say enough is enough and start fighting back and start putting them down like the rabid aminals they are.

They clearly wouldn't think twice plugging you or your kids in the fabled gun free zone.
Why do you think twice about them and lend them the ability to carry out their heinous atrocity? Why give them the incentive on a silver platter? Does it feel good?

You do realize gun free zones are criminals and deranged form of OSHA, right?

Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, it is a rarity when they go attack police stations and gun stores, isn't it?
And it sometimes does not end well for the robber.

https://katu.com/news/local/guy-trie...bly-11-20-2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYWc6ReJbc

Old 11-11-2018, 02:51 PM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I do.
They're busy body do gooders. Too worried about what others do with their lives.

Notice the operative word every time firearms are discussed.
Why do you feel.
How would you feel
What do you feel

Never asking what do you think, why do you think etc.
They rationalize with emotion. We rationalize with cogent thought.
Hence the arguing that continues. The argument is incompatible.
How does one go through life feeling? I won't know. I won't rationalize with emotion. Clear concise thoughts, yes.

In their mind, running off of feeble irrelevant emotion, they believe if we just focused on the implement then everything will be great.
Look at the UK and Australia. Those 2 places screwed up and focused on the implement. And what happened? Why the implement had changed of course.

See. It's really significantly flawed logic and what they cant comprehend since they only feel, instead of think... they do not have forsight.

Because emotions are temporary.
just ban them all now! Confiscate them all now! It's the only way!

Stop. Shut up. Sit down. Think.

If you focus on the firearm, not the individual, you will have solved nothing but furthered your greedy self serving agenda which will afford you temporary relief.
Because just like emotions, it will be temporary if say every firearm were to disappear.

Other weapons and means will proliferate. That's all.
Instead of shooting up a building. They'll do like out in Australia. Chain the doors shut and torch the place up with everyone inside.

Or worse.

Due to their inability to think
Due to their misguided focal point: the implement
They've no comprehension of what they really seek to endorse.

Rather than say Gee. You know what... that guy is right.
Maybe we do need to focus on
Motive
Incentive
Intent
Enabling outliers
And maybe we should recognize we have a responsibility for our safety, the safety of our family and loved ones, and of our communities, perhaps we ourselves can beat the police and thwart the threat ourselves!

Nope. Just like the emotional lemmings that they are, but guns are icky!

Now. I've proposed solutions, even a community service purely voluntary initiative and all it would take is to suspend and repeal the gun free school zone act of 1990 and 1994 for me and 150 others plus whomever they know, to stand armed as guardians over every entrance point of a school. Would not cost tax payers a dime.

Think they'd go for that? Hell no.

Why?

You see it here. universal background checks! I don't know you! Muh Childrunz! But I don't want guns around Muh Childrunz!

Okay.
So I'm understanding this thought process.

You're willing to send your kid off to a gun free zone, to be educated.
No armed deterrence present.
To fall to the will of a homicidal scumbag.
But you wouldn't want me nor the rest of the people I know plus who they know, within the shooting community.
To volunteer our time.
To use our weapons for good not evil, in defending your precious cherubs.
Safeguarding the very building they are inside of.

And I'm being ridiculous?

Okie dokie then.
It's their funeral if the SRO is a POS like the Broward Coward.

Just remember. In the event of a tragedy, when seconds matter, help is minutes away. Police can't be everywhere at every time. Nor is it their fault either. However, the reason we don't see the Broward coward on the stand for dereliction of duty is
Warren v D.C.-Supreme Court ruling, Police do not have a duty to protect.

Tough pill to swallow. Welcome to reality.

Now the other thing I find intriguing about anti gun blat asses, is this line of "fetish" for an arsenal. Tells me they're quite the deviant if everything must be a sexual impulse to them.

They can hurl all the insults they want I'll just wear them as a badge of honor.
Considering the source it's a compliment.

At the end of the day though. They want the same things we want, just naive, borderline retarded, in their approach at solving the problem.

I can't wait for the day they have an epiphany and wake up to reality, and come to terms with, everything they've been led to believe is an embellished half truth. That they are seeking to decide for others in how they defend themselves, and by doing so, create potential victims out of the millions. If not victims, felons like Cuomo declared me to be for owning something he didn't like. Aww. Poor baby. Lost his binkie, and lost a tax payer. Paid to push the anti gun crap.

You would think since all of the anti gun legislation they and the NRA who they demonize, passed through the years, they'd wake up and realize they solve problems with problematic solutions that often are ineffective and cost people their lives...

Remember lemmings. Your liberal darlings can afford someone to protect them with firearms. Can you? If you want to pay me 300k per year to sit in your hallway to make sure nothing happens when there's a break in at 3 am I will take that money and post up in your hallway. I even have wizard eyes of my own too

See if you gave them and their cohort Rinos a wish, to solve the problem.
Like fools they'd wish firearms, the knowledge of firearms, and ammunition to disappear the world throughout.
It didn't solve anything. It didn't reduce anything. It just means the implement will change is all.

They tell us there's a very valid reason why I have to submit a passport photo and finger prints and pay a 200 dollar tax to the ATF for every suppressor I purchashed.
Because I saw it on a movie where the gun didn't go bang!
Yeah... about that...

Reality is not even remotely close to what you see in the movies.

Try one sometime. Without ear muffs or ear plugs.
Tell me how ninja stealthy the report is with a can on the end of that AR.

They tell us a reduced capacity magazine is the only way.
Oh... tell that to the victims and their families of the Maryland gazette news paper.
Fienstein and Schumer and company tell us, reduced magazines will allow people the time to escape or subdue the gunman.
And when someone from the Maryland gazette tweets out.
The most terrifying sound in the world is hearing the gunman reload.

Where was that escaping? Where was that subduing of the gunman by the people inside?
It didn't happen.

If we only banned certain types of firearms. Nobody needs an AR or AK.

And when just like in the Maryland shooting, someone resorts to grandpa Fudds revolver and shotgun.
Ban those too right?
Ban that lever action because that will be the new assault rifle?
Or because Cowboys used them, we need to ban them because this isn't the OK corral?

And when they turn to bolt actions that send full power rifle rounds down range with double triple the kinetic energy of that tiny .223/5.56 they blat and raise hell about...
Ban sniper rifles?
Ban shotguns and slugs and 00 shot. Nobody needs a "combat shotgun"?

Okie dokie.

See. If they had any sense of reality, any logical thought process, and were given a wish.
They'd wish to end violent ideation that lead to homicidal actions.

Then they'd have solved the "gun violence" "knife violence" and murder in general.

But since they focus like fools on the implement...
Ban the guns. Then when knives and such take the lead.
Ban the knives!
Then when hammers baseball bats 2x4s etc ban those too?

I don't know about them. They seem content with everyone being put into bubbles or bubble wrap suits in areas devoid of sharp objects and anything remotely dangerous.
I don't want anything to do with their dystopia.
I wouldn't want my kids and grand kids in their dystopia neither.
I'll accept the risks of living within this nation, prepare for them accordingly, and if it comes to it, do what needs to be done to ensure the safety and well being of myself, my family, my loved ones, my property or on behalf of the community should a homicidal scumbag decide to descend upon it.

However they through their feeble conflation and false equivalencies see that all as a blood lust or something. Because defense is demonized. How dare you be self reliant and self sufficient! That goes against the grain of requiring a police officer!

Nah. I just intend to revoke their incentive.
Terminate their Motive and their intent.

See unlike the lemmings, I would rather see headlines that says "Would be mass shooter/gunman/rapist" "Attempted mass shooter/gunman/rapist etc" thwarted by armed citizen. More details at 7.

Rather than hearing x dead, Y wounded, Z weapon and tactics used. To serve as inspiration/inadvertent study guide for a copy cat.

Media would do itself and us all a huge favor if they'd stop reporting the scumbags names and refer to them as scumbags.
Media would do itself and us all a huge favor if they'd stop reporting the scumbags weapons and tactics they used...
Gee... I wonder why this weapon or that weapon is used with such frequency.... hmm I wonder if constantly going on and on about it would have anything to do with inspiring others...
How many scumbags that committed mass shootings confess to idolizing Columbine scumbags? Or this one or that one? Or researched how and what they used to improve upon theirs as if it's some sick game to achieve some score?
Keep repeating the name. Give them the attention they want. Give them the infamy they crave.

Idiots.

3 things lemmings. Maybe 4.
Motive.
Incentive.
Intent.
Enabling outliers.

Your choice to keep pointing blame at the inanimate object as solely being responsible. You are just going to continue further the divide in the nation. We've done it your way for how many years and nothing has worked... so admit defeat, own it and move on, and get with us to push for addressing Motive, Incentive, and Intent.

I promise the shootings will stop doing it my way.
Just repeal the gun free schools act.
Make it law that if any entity chooses to be gun free that they hold responsibility for your safety and security. Unless of course they have you sign hold harmless agreements.
Acknowledge we all have an individual responsibility for our safety.
And put your foot down and say enough is enough and start fighting back and start putting them down like the rabid aminals they are.

They clearly wouldn't think twice plugging you or your kids in the fabled gun free zone.
Why do you think twice about them and lend them the ability to carry out their heinous atrocity? Why give them the incentive on a silver platter? Does it feel good?

You do realize gun free zones are criminals and deranged form of OSHA, right?
I agree with you 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies